What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Xavier @ CU game thread

Big win. Thank god for Derek White, instant offense like we haven;t seen in awhile, even when King was lighting it up last year.

Worried about low post depth defensively, need Miller back big time. What's his injury, return date?

Tad:
"Players making plays. DW, X, GMFK. HHave to be better down the stretch. Showed mental toughness. Not near as good as we can be. Beat a very good program. Been to six sweet sixteens. Zone was bad. That's why I don't play zone. Assistant coaches did a great job scouting. Saturday is a big, big game. I'll make a pact if we win I'll forget CSU. That'll be hard to do."
Odd thing about Tad's quote and not liking to play zone is that we went up by 5 playing zone near the end of the first half. We then came out of a timeout and switched to man D and Xavier went on a 13-0 run to end the second half and start off the second half to go up by 8.

Odd thing about Tad's quote and not liking to play zone is that we went up by 5 playing zone near the end of the first half. We then came out of a timeout and switched to man D and Xavier went on a 13-0 run to end the second half and start off the second half to go up by 8.

Were fortunate with that 1st half zone because we were giving Xavier great looks they should have knocked down.

The first 20 seconds of zone were good. Then they buried 2 wide open 3s on us, and we went back to man

Great job in flipping this game mid way thru the second half. XJ and DW where nails tonight and I think maybe GMFK got his mojo back. That is a gutsy win with such a short bench. Great game and effort from the Buffs in the second half. Could have gone south when we went down like 9 or 10 in the second half but they fought like hell to get back in it. Fun night

Great job in flipping this game mid way thru the second half. XJ and DW where nails tonight and I think maybe GMFK got his mojo back. That is a gutsy win with such a short bench. Great game and effort from the Buffs in the second half. Could have gone south when we went down like 9 or 10 in the second half but they fought like hell to get back in it. Fun night
And with X and Wes in foul trouble all night, no less.

Wow! No ****. Excellent news to get back to from work. CSU may have been flukey. We needed this in the worst way for a funky Pac12 ahead.

Big win. Thank god for Derek White, instant offense like we haven;t seen in awhile, even when King was lighting it up last year.

Worried about low post depth defensively, need Miller back big time. What's his injury, return date?
Don't know the answers, but it sure didn't look like he was ready against csu and Tad put him in twice - limping around. Hope that didn't aggravate things

white had ice in his veins.....wtf fortune just terrible....great game to be at had fun.....where was everybody????

CU's bench stat line last night:

52 minutes
2-10 shooting overall
0-5 on 3PT tries
0-1 from the line
2 rebounds (defensive)
4 assists
0 steals
3 blocks (nice!)
3 turnovers
3 fouls
4 points

It is going to be hard to win games with that type of contribution. It is way worse when you eliminate Peters.

BUT, great win. I'm sure the guys really needed that boost of confidence.

I will say that while Fortune was hyped coming in as an offensive weapon, he was an absolute stud on defense last night. There is a reason he played so many minutes last night.

Also while not statistically a big night for Peters, the experience was huge. He got a lot of run against a very good team. Need to shorten his learning curve by any means necessary.

I will say that while Fortune was hyped coming in as an offensive weapon, he was an absolute stud on defense last night. There is a reason he played so many minutes last night.

Also while not statistically a big night for Peters, the experience was huge. He got a lot of run against a very good team. Need to shorten his learning curve by any means necessary.
Yup. Peters starting to look like he belongs out there. I think it is close to clicking for him. he's gonna break someone's ankles in a big way out there.

Fortune was definitely taking some rushed mid-range shots (statistically the worst kind you can take), but he is one of our best perimeter defenders, no question about that. He's streaky, the effort has been there this season, I'll take it.

I'm calling Siewart to be the guy who makes a massive Frosh to Soph leap. He's playing more than he should right now, so any bad habits aside, it will be beneficial in the long run. Also echoing everyones sentiments on Bryce...the vets could learn a thing or two from him on off-ball movement!

Agree on the Peters experience and he played pretty well. Fortune played pretty well but that turnover under our basket at the end of the game and his very poor shooting are problems. He is such a liability with the ball in his hands. Like playing 4 on 5 when he is in and we are on the offensive end. Need a longer bench and he needs to sit on it when we get guys healthy.

Agree on the Peters experience and he played pretty well. Fortune played pretty well but that turnover under our basket at the end of the game and his very poor shooting are problems. He is such a liability with the ball in his hands. Like playing 4 on 5 when he is in and we are on the offensive end. Need a longer bench and he needs to sit on it when we get guys healthy.

Fortune's game goes as his shooting goes, too often. He presses when his shots aren't going down.

I like the defense he's playing this year compared to last. Once he finds his shot, this offense will click in a big way.

Solid win! When the team plays with energy on both ends they look so much better. Akyazili is a real liability, love his energy but he can't shoot a lick. Siewert getting abused in the post, clearly not his game, need Miller back ASAP to spell Wes. I'd like to see more XJ, White, and Peters taking over late in games. Let Fortune just snipe from outside - less ball handling.

White sure isn't tentative about shooting the basketball. NIce to see.

How important are free throws? CSU didn't miss one until the game was out of reach while Xavier shot only 62%.

It seemed like Xavier was really off, I've never seen a top 25 team shoot so many airballs.

The first 20 seconds of zone were good. Then they buried 2 wide open 3s on us, and we went back to man
We started playing zone with 8:31 to go in the half leading 12 to 11. With 3:03 left in the half Xavier called a time out with us now leading 28 to 23. We came out of the time out and switched from zone to man to man. From this point until 18:00 minutes to go in the 2nd half the score was now 30 to 39. Xavier had gone on a 16 to 2 run. I know that Coach Boyle doesn't like zone but the comments I heard him make while driving home didn't match the results on the floor tonight. Hope he watches the tape and goes with what is working on a given night.

I don't like a zone either, but honestly it should work for the Buffs. Especially with their length.

Back