What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Xavier Johnson deciding

If he wants to play, play him. If he doesn't play this year I don't think we'll see him in a CU uniform again anyway.

He'd bring a ton of upside this year at the 3 on offense and he would definitely get time at the 4 as well. King, Fortune and Fletcher are all playing solidly at the wing on offense, but they're all trigger happy from 3 and they are not putting the ball on the floor and attacking the rim. King is taking 28.9% of his shots at the rim, Fortune 29.2% and Fetcher 22.1%. XJ took 45.8% of his shots at the rim last year. By having a wing that will put the ball on the floor it'll free up J40 more, help side D will have to come and open up J40 for easy dishes and bunnies. And as @Goose mentioned, we need perimeter defense, XJ can defend the wing.

If he wants to play, play him.....

Last edited:
If he doesn't play this year I don't think we'll see him in a CU uniform again anyway.

FWIW, I've heard the opposite is true. If he redshirts, he's still in Boulder next year. Through the grapevine of course, don't know XJ personally. This is of course moot if he does play this year.

Personally, despite the loss of Scott next year, I'm salivating at the possibility to have
Collier.....Akyazili.....Peters
Fortune..White........Brown
King.......Fletcher
XJ.........
Wes.....Miller

Would love to add a grad transfer or Juco Big man to round that all out. That's a pretty good looking stew you have going there. Also, damn, we have to replace a lot of guys next year. Need to parlay this season into a good season next year and a strong recruiting class.

"By having a wing that will put the ball on the floor it'll free up J40 more, help side D will have to come and open up J40 for easy dishes and bunnies.

Actually, it is the opposite. Last season, the lack of outside shooting allowed opposing defenses to collapse on Scott. As the ball handler penetrated, the defense had a minimum of three players well inside the paint, not allowing Scott easy looks. This year, the wings ability to drain the 3's has opened up the lane for Josh, with defenders having to play on the perimeter, respecting the deep shooting. Whichever way XJ decides, it is a good problem to have. If XJ comes back at 80%, CU is a better team having him on board, either this year or next.

Collier.....Akyazili.....Peters
Fortune..White........Brown
King.......Fletcher
XJ.........
Wes.....Miller
Would love to add a grad transfer or Juco Big man to round that all out.

A big man is a must get for Tad, you can't let Josh walk without some replacement. With Gordon a Sr. next season, the need is that much greater to have two bigs coming in. Peters is a stud, exceeding expectations and garnering some national attention already this year. His ranking will boost up before seasons end and he may, in fact, push Dom for serious minutes next season. Also, I would not be surprised to see Fletch transfer out. With Fortune, White, King, Brown and maybe Peters (6'4") even grabbing wing minutes, Fletch may opt to play elsewhere, I see White taking his minutes immediately.

Actually, it is the opposite. Last season, the lack of outside shooting allowed opposing defenses to collapse on Scott. As the ball handler penetrated, the defense had a minimum of three players well inside the paint, not allowing Scott easy looks. This year, the wings ability to drain the 3's has opened up the lane for Josh, with defenders having to play on the perimeter, respecting the deep shooting. Whichever way XJ decides, it is a good problem to have. If XJ comes back at 80%, CU is a better team having him on board, either this year or next.

You missed the point, outside shooters combined with somebody taking it to the rim will help J40, one or the other isn't the answer. He's using virtually the same amout of possessions and taking the same % of shots as last year when possession and shot domniant Ski was on the floor. He's also taking a fewer % of his shots at the rim compared to the last two years.

I hope he does whatever he thinks is best, and I know he wants to play in the pros, like others have mentioned. After him getting hurt last year and sitting out this summer, I just dont see how people can pick him up after all that.
If he comes back and has the year everyone knows he's capable of, then he could get drafted.

NBA isn't the only pro basketball. He could always play in Europe for awhile, not ideal, if he isn't drafted or make a team. If he wants to play, let him.

You missed the point, outside shooters combined with somebody taking it to the rim will help J40, one or the other isn't the answer. He's using virtually the same amout of possessions and taking the same % of shots as last year when possession and shot domniant Ski was on the floor. He's also taking a fewer % of his shots at the rim compared to the last two years.

That outside shooting inst opening things up for josh against better teams right now he's shooting way off his historical averages against our top competition. A slasher heading to the rim gives us another dimension it doesn't look like we are going to get from our current wings. It will bring up our foul rate in the paint, open up more lay-ups for josh and force coaches to defend another dimension. If he's healthy enough he probably wins us 2-3 more games this season - I am coming round to the idea of him playing.

Of course XJ should choose whatever is best for himself. As soon as he is 100% physically ready and the coaches believe he is able to contribute to the team's success, then get him in the rotation. This 2015-16 team is on the cusp of being ranked, which comes with more exposure before the tournament and then even more exposure after a few NCAA wins. If getting media attention is a part of XJ's formula to play in the pros, then getting on the court this year makes perfect sense, with Josh Scott. There's no doubt that playing on a tournament team helps a player's resume.

Having XJ in the rotation relieves foul pressure and keeps the other players fresher longer, which makes a big difference in games that come down to the wire. The way that the P12 is shaping up, and given how the ISU and SMU games were contested into the final minute, the Buffs sure could use one more big and able body to help grind out a victory against evenly matched conference opponents.

...If he doesn't play this year I don't think we'll see him in a CU uniform again anyway.

Why do you think if he redshirts this year he doesn't return for next year? Isn't the point of the declared redshirt to get next year? I don't see him going anywhere else for one season. Tad has some history now of players getting into pro ball.

If he wants to and is healthy, play him. I still believe his best shot at getting to the next level is a full year at 100% but if he is set on playing, let him loose and enjoy the ride.

After all his Twitter non-sense, XJ has drawn some less than flattering attention from Arizona fans.

It would be great moment for XJ and Colorado BB to get scoreboard over the *********** this season. The road to the P12 championship goes through Zona.

That outside shooting inst opening things up for josh against better teams right now he's shooting way off his historical averages against our top competition. A slasher heading to the rim gives us another dimension it doesn't look like we are going to get from our current wings. It will bring up our foul rate in the paint, open up more lay-ups for josh and force coaches to defend another dimension. If he's healthy enough he probably wins us 2-3 more games this season - I am coming round to the idea of him playing.

Plus drives to the rim get J40 a couple cheap buckets on put-back follows a night, which really gives the numbers a nice bump.

Plus drives to the rim get J40 a couple cheap buckets on put-back follows a night, which really gives the numbers a nice bump.

funny i had that in my post about put-backs and deleted it - his offensive rebounding is down this year vs previous.

funny i had that in my post about put-backs and deleted it - his offensive rebounding is down this year vs previous.
Probably because our overall shooting percentage is higher. Fewer offensive rebound opportunities.

From an individual standpoint, I can only assume that XJ plans to play for money (professionally) when he leaves CU. I don't think it's realistic that he goes straight to the nBA, even if he hadn't torn his Achilles. I just don't see him as a draft prospect before, now or in the future.

So I sort of look at his choices as:
1. play now, sign a contract (often one year deals) and play in some out-of-the-way place, but no longer be in poverty.
2. redshirt, play at CU next year for free, and then sign a similar contract (maybe more money) as in item 1 above, but missing out on 1 year of pay.

So things to consider are what value does he put on more education? What value does he put in one more year of basketball income - you only get so many. What value does he put on living another year in Boulder without $$$ vs playing in Turkey or Greece or wherever and having some change in his pocket?

I think either scenario is a step towards making a living and a small step towards someday making it in the NBA. I don't see either track impacting his NBA dream much.

From an individual standpoint, I can only assume that XJ plans to play for money (professionally) when he leaves CU. I don't think it's realistic that he goes straight to the nBA, even if he hadn't torn his Achilles. I just don't see him as a draft prospect before, now or in the future.

So I sort of look at his choices as:
1. play now, sign a contract (often one year deals) and play in some out-of-the-way place, but no longer be in poverty.
2. redshirt, play at CU next year for free, and then sign a similar contract (maybe more money) as in item 1 above, but missing out on 1 year of pay.

So things to consider are what value does he put on more education? What value does he put in one more year of basketball income - you only get so many. What value does he put on living another year in Boulder without $$$ vs playing in Turkey or Greece or wherever and having some change in his pocket?

I think either scenario is a step towards making a living and a small step towards someday making it in the NBA. I don't see either track impacting his NBA dream much.

Also option 3 - graduate CU with a degree and use his remaining eligibility at another school under a different coach.

XJ's best shot at the NBA is the Draymond Green profile, which is all the rage. Same size, similar skill set. The stretch 4 role would be a lot more valuable to us & to him next yr. Tad isn't going to bench Wes for a less than 100% XJ. I would love a 4 out offense with Wes/Tory sharing the 5 spot next yr.

He'll likely never be Draymond but NBA GM's won't draft him as a wing & there's no way he plays enough at a high enough level this yr to boost his stock & help us more than he would next yr.

Probably because our overall shooting percentage is higher. Fewer offensive rebound opportunities.

Its a % based metric so the fact shooting % is up (46 vs 43 last year) is mitigated. John is having his worst offensive rebounding performance of his career this year.

edit: went back and figured this based on shooting %'s, and season totals even though we are scoring and shooting better this year we are also shooting a lot more, 5 more shots per game on average, so based solely off averages there should have been roughly 2% or 11 more gross missed shots ytd vs last year. Totally within statistical variation but points to an increase in shooting % not being a factor.

Also don't forget we are launching many more threes per game now nearly 6 per contest -those typically bounce longer and further away from the block when compared to a shot at the rim. I haven't factored this for 3's in transition.

Last edited:
Also option 3 - graduate CU with a degree and use his remaining eligibility at another school under a different coach.

there has been talk of a Gonzaga like school as a transfer target for him.

Its a % based metric so the fact shooting % is up (46 vs 43 last year) is mitigated. John is having his worst offensive rebounding performance of his career this year.

edit: went back and figured this based on shooting %'s, and season totals even though we are scoring and shooting better this year we are also shooting a lot more, 5 more shots per game on average, so based solely off averages there should have been roughly 2% or 11 more gross missed shots ytd vs last year. Totally within statistical variation but points to an increase in shooting % not being a factor.
Shorter shot clock.

edit: went back and figured this based on shooting %'s, and season totals even though we are scoring and shooting better this year we are also shooting a lot more, 5 more shots per game on average, so based solely off averages there should have been roughly 2% or 11 more gross missed shots ytd vs last year.

By taking 5 seconds off shot clock, there's bound to be a number of anomalies in shooting and rebound stats this year for any number of players.
How much of Josh's increase in scoring has to do with him maturing as a senior, and how much does it have to do with having to launch a shot sooner?

Plus it seems that Josh Fortune is a rebounding freek.

I guess I'm trying to say that Josh didn't just get worse at rebounding.

there has been talk of a Gonzaga like school as a transfer target for him.

It was interesting hearing the nice words Utah's Coach K has said about XJ based on the PAC12 team that went to China a couple summers ago.
I am not sure what to think about the chemistry issues between XJ and Tad at this point.

I'd like to think that XJ and Tad can continue to be a perfect coach-player pair. But given XJ's history of being on last year's clunker of a team, and seeing how this year's Buffs have gelled and are playing really good without him right now, it's not out of the question that some scouts might question XJ's leadership skills and maturity. If XJ emerges on an other tournament team in another state, and is adored by another coach, it would answer a lot of questions about how coachable and how flexible he is. Pro basketball players who are proven to be effective journeymen come as a premium.

Back