What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Xavier Johnson deciding

Personally, despite the loss of Scott next year, I'm salivating at the possibility to have
Collier.....Akyazili.....Peters
Fortune..White........Brown
King.......Fletcher
XJ.........
Wes.....Miller

Would love to add a grad transfer or Juco Big man to round that all out. That's a pretty good looking stew you have going there. Also, damn, we have to replace a lot of guys next year. Need to parlay this season into a good season next year and a strong recruiting class.

I'm also drooling at that rotation. So many 3 shooters, so much versatility.

I don't think it's fair to say XJ has no shot at being drafted. His skill set is unique & desirable as a hybrid big. Also, 35% of the '13, '14, & '15 NBA Draft picks were college seniors. 1 great yr as a stretch 4 & his NBA prospects would be far from over.

Shorter shot clock.
Probably should have made that clear in my post - yes new rules are driving the increase in shots, which for us is an increase in both shots made and missed.

By taking 5 seconds off shot clock, there's bound to be a number of anomalies in shooting and rebound stats this year for any number of players.
How much of Josh's increase in scoring has to do with him maturing as a senior, and how much does it have to do with having to launch a shot sooner?

A huge factor in his increase in scoring is shooting % for Josh, he is getting to the line and shooting ft's marginally better than last year but is overall shooting % from the floor sits at 62% vs 55% last year. You can see the detail here but he's shooting .8 more shots per game but making 1.1 more than last season. His increase in shots is inline with the new rules and the overall teams lift. he's getting roughly 1 more point at the line and 2.2 on the floor.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-Scott-7187/stats/

Likely his shots take a dip with XJ back but based on their history together the wont dip much. Josh and XJ have typically been very effective paring for us on the floor, more so than anything involving Tory Miller or Keenan.

Plus it seems that Josh Fortune is a rebounding freek.

I guess I'm trying to say that Josh didn't just get worse at rebounding.

Fortune is the 3rd best defensive rebounder on the team, Scott's defensive rebound is about where we would expect marginally higher than last year.

I hadnt looked at this before but Fortune is a shockingly poor offensive rebounder - only main rotation player worse than him is Dom (XT/Yaz also worse), I'll pay attention more now i wonder if he just shoots the ball and gets back.

Probably should have made that clear in my post - yes new rules are driving the increase in shots, which for us is an increase in both shots made and missed.

A huge factor in his increase in scoring is shooting % for Josh, he is getting to the line and shooting ft's marginally better than last year but is overall shooting % from the floor sits at 62% vs 55% last year. You can see the detail here but he's shooting .8 more shots per game but making 1.1 more than last season. His increase in shots is inline with the new rules and the overall teams lift. he's getting roughly 1 more point at the line and 2.2 on the floor.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-Scott-7187/stats/

Likely his shots take a dip with XJ back but based on their history together the wont dip much. Josh and XJ have typically been very effective paring for us on the floor, more so than anything involving Tory Miller or Keenan.

Cool link - thanks. One other factor in these stats is that Josh hasn't faced P12 play yet. It's easier to shoot better with this OOC schedule. It'll be interesting revisiting these numbers in Feb/March.

it's not out of the question that some scouts might question XJ's leadership skills and maturity.

I am not sure what last years team, regarding leadership and maturity have to do with XJ and how it impacts his draft status? Ski was the senior last season, he was suspended twice during the season. XJ is an emotional player, but if you question his leadership and maturity, you would have to question J40 as well (also a Jr. on last years team). Last year there was an issue with leadership, I think it is pretty clear that issue was with Ski's inability to mature into a leader.

I am not sure what last years team, regarding leadership and maturity have to do with XJ and how it impacts his draft status? Ski was the senior last season, he was suspended twice during the season. XJ is an emotional player, but if you question his leadership and maturity, you would have to question J40 as well (also a Jr. on last years team). Last year there was an issue with leadership, I think it is pretty clear that issue was with Ski's inability to mature into a leader.

There was more to it than Ski. Ski wasn't a leader and wasn't seen as that. The problem was the vacuum of no one stepping up, which includes J40. And some undermining that went on due to Ski doing his own thing which gave tacit approval to guys like Dustin not taking mentorship from vets at their position.

Yep, you'd be correct to bring J40 into the discussion regarding the leadership vacuum. However the last 13 games have erased any doubts about Josh's leadership and influence on team chemistry. The Buffs play better with Josh on the court. Remember the pre-season training from a year ago when the SEAL instructor was on one end of a rope and Josh was on the other? Josh got singled out for his toughness and fight. Josh played much of last season with a sore back and appeared to play through pain. This season Josh is shooting threes, feeding the ball to the open man, and playing his best ball yet. Any concern about Josh's leadership has been erased.

The big change in XJ thus far has been his behavior and control when it comes to social media. XJ has not only been emotional, but also brash. XJ called out a Arizona on Twitter prior to the ESPN Game Day and didn't back it up on the court. It's been good to see him grow from that and keep a lower profile since then. The real proof of XJ's character will be when he gets back on the court. I hope to see him in the mix again with and without Josh to see where he's at. What is clear is that CU can win without him.

Clearly XJ is a good Buff as can be seen by his resume. I hope XJ has it in him to return as a Buff and rewrite the record book this year or next.

But since this is about XJ getting the chance to earn a paycheck playing pro ball, XJ has to decide what is best for XJ, even if that means red shirting and exploring all options at other programs.

Being a senior is not a requirement to being a leader.

Reactions: SBG
Am I the only one who finds it weird that we didn't get a press release on this or anything?

I'd really like to know the plan here.

From Buffzone:
"XJ update

Despite earlier indications the status of injured forward Xavier Johnson would be clarified this week, the senior will remain in limbo until CU returns to Boulder. Boyle said he did not have time to meet with Johnson over the weekend regarding his pending decision on whether he will attempt a comeback from a torn Achilles tendon or take a medical redshirt."

So weird.

In others words: Tad had much more important things to worry about over the weekend.

In others words: Tad had much more important things to worry about over the weekend.
Yeah, sounds like there must be a bit of frustration between Tad and XJ. This makes me think, more and more, that Goose is right and that XJ won't be back.

Based on that, my best guess is that XJ wants to come back this year, prove he's healthy, help the Buffs go as far as they can, and then go get paid.

Glad to see XJ on the mend,

Make these Buffs a legit P12 contender and NCAA threat.

Based on that, my best guess is that XJ wants to come back this year, prove he's healthy, help the Buffs go as far as they can, and then go get paid.

As long as he's healthy, I love this.

If he is healthy this adds the experience and firepower to push us over the edge I think. As long as XJ has matured this offseason, this could be a really really huge addition mid season.

If he is healthy this adds the experience and firepower to push us over the edge I think. As long as XJ has matured this offseason, this could be a really really huge addition mid season.

Granted its just watching bench behavior but i have liked what i have seen out of XJ the cheerleader this year.

Completed his first full workout. Still pretty out of shape. His calf muscle is noticeably atrophied. Could return at the end of the month against Stanford.

Interesting dynamic mentioned in the Howell chat from yesterday: XJ may have the credits required to graduate this spring. Howell says that he doesn't think that XJ is a big fan of school in general, so it would be hard for him to see XJ coming back next year to work on a 2nd major, a minor, or a graduate degree. He would also be very surprised to see him grad transfer to another program. So, that may influence whether or not XJ tries to get back this year even if it's just for a half-dozen games.

Interesting dynamic mentioned in the Howell chat from yesterday: XJ may have the credits required to graduate this spring. Howell says that he doesn't think that XJ is a big fan of school in general, so it would be hard for him to see XJ coming back next year to work on a 2nd major, a minor, or a graduate degree. He would also be very surprised to see him grad transfer to another program. So, that may influence whether or not XJ tries to get back this year even if it's just for a half-dozen games.

Seems like most observers are thinking XJ is trying to return for the final month + post-season, then get paid.

There are ways to get paid playing the game of basketball that don't involve the National Basketball Association.

Back