What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Xavier Johnson deciding

How many countries have professional basketball teams?

It was a rhetorical question, but I did a quick google search and found at least 62 professional basketball leagues around the world. If you figure there are an average of 15 teams per league and 12 players per team, you get 11,160 professional basketball players.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that XJ is one of the top 11,000 players on earth.

Considering some of the guys we've had (and CSU as well) get overseas offers, XJ won't struggle to find a place if he does leave this summer.

There are ways to get paid playing the game of basketball that don't involve the National Basketball Association.
There certainly are.

billy-hoyle.jpg

Not surprising, but a shame. Was hoping to see him play one more time at the Keg.

?? so you think he won't stick around for next season?

It is much easier to prepare for him leaving and be pleasantly surprised at the end of the year than it is to count on him back and then have him bail. That being said XJ isn't a fan of the whole "school" thing. Can't see him sticking around and having to continue the class portion for a 5th year.

It is much easier to prepare for him leaving and be pleasantly surprised at the end of the year than it is to count on him back and then have him bail. That being said XJ isn't a fan of the whole "school" thing. Can't see him sticking around and having to continue the class portion for a 5th year.

Not only that, but looking at it logically, it makes no sense. Say he comes back and puts up 20 ppg. He's still not goign to get drafted as a 5th year senior who has had some injury concerns. So his best hope is getting a summer league invite. Might as well start making money now and get his international career going. He'll do well over there and make some serious change.

Not only that, but looking at it logically, it makes no sense. Say he comes back and puts up 20 ppg. He's still not goign to get drafted as a 5th year senior who has had some injury concerns. So his best hope is getting a summer league invite. Might as well start making money now and get his international career going. He'll do well over there and make some serious change.

Bingo. Get paid while you can. But XJ, I think feels he deserves a shot in the NBA so he will do whatever it is that he personally feels gives him the best chances of getting there, so I am not as set as you are about him leaving, but definitely leaning that way.

It's kinda like The Mayor for me.

Better to take your chances coming back from injury when you're getting paid than when you're not.

That said, I was hoping that he'd come back this season if he's not coming back for next year.

Hmm. So, if he wouldn't get drafted regardless I guess, to me, it boils down to a life decision for him. In that case, who knows what he'll do? Maybe he loves college bball? Who knows? I'm sure he'll get good counseling so he will be able to weigh his options. Doesn't the NBA provide an assessment?

It was a rhetorical question, but I did a quick google search and found at least 62 professional basketball leagues around the world. If you figure there are an average of 15 teams per league and 12 players per team, you get 11,160 professional basketball players.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that XJ is one of the top 11,000 players on earth.

It's not that simple of an equation though. Many of those leagues might be professional in name, but are more realistically semi-pro at best. You also have to consider that many will have foreign player limitations so you have to be much better than the average player in the league.

If we are talking about rehab and training facilities in general, power conference college basketball teams are going to have much better facilities and trainers than most "pro" leagues in the world. If you can get a contract with one of the Euroleague teams, you're in great shape. Otherwise, it's not particularly glamorous. There's a good documentary called the Iran Job about an American (well an ex-college basketball player from the US Virgin Islands) who went to Iran to play pro basketball in 2008 that gives some good insight into what it's like in some of these lower pro leagues.

This is objectively false. Seniors get drafted way more than people think, regardless of whether they're 4th or 5th yr. I'll repeat: 35% of the NBA Draft over the last 3 yrs has been college seniors. His tools--athletic hybrid forward who can shoot 3's are in heavy demand. Do I want to bet on him being drafted? No, but if he comes back, stays healthy, and puts up 20 ppg (BIG if) then he's a 2nd rd pick.

Also, there's sone serious cognitive dissonance to assume that he'll make bank overseas w/o leaving here with momentum. Yet, if he were to come back, show good health & have the season of his life then he still has no shot at being drafted?

If he wants to get paid to play anywhere serious, it's in his best interest to come back & put up a really good season.

I know we're using the 20 ppg figure casually but we've only had one player in the last 20 years reach that mark and it wasn't even Chauncey.

If he comes back he will split time with some better wings that he has played with in the past. This may limit how much he is featured at CU and not help his draft stock very much. What he might do is finish school and graduate this spring and then transfer to a program where there is less wing competition and be featured there as a 5th year senior.

This was the first time that Tad had said he's not expecting him to play as far as I know.

So... do we read anything into XJ not being announced among the seniors today?

Cant we change this thread title to 'Xavier Johnson deciding this Summer'? Every time it pops up I think we're finally getting a decision.

In his senior goodbye speech, JS said to XJ something like, 'I promised I wasn't going to say anything, but man,you're crazy. You're crazy'

I'd be kinda surprised if he headed straight to Europe after this year. Wouldn't be shocked if he transferred to another program, though.

Back