What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Xavier Johnson deciding

Great, hope that's correct. Now go find the best HS center in the country and hire his coach or father to replace Rodney

The real question now is if Tad is willing to go more new school. He has the pieces.

Wes/Tory share the 5 spot, XJ as the hybrid 4. Better spacing, more 3 shooters on the court I think Tad will do it sometimes but he'll also have lineups where Wes & Tory share the low post for rebounding/rim protection. It's in his DNA I know but, new school is going to make way more sense next season.

The real question now is if Tad is willing to go more new school. He has the pieces.

Wes/Tory share the 5 spot, XJ as the hybrid 4. Better spacing, more 3 shooters on the court I think Tad will do it sometimes but he'll also have lineups where Wes & Tory share the low post for rebounding/rim protection. It's in his DNA I know but, new school is going to make way more sense next season.

Tad wants to play inside-out. But what we've seen with J40 as a centerpiece is different than what Tad did his first 2 years here. I think we'll see a lot more spreading the court with dribble penetration next season. I think we'll see a lot more switching 1 through 5 on defense next season.

Looking at where the talent is in 2016-17, I can't imagine that Tad will try to go traditional with Tory at the 5, Wes at the 4, XJ at the 3, White at the 2 and Dom at the 1. King, Fletch and Fortune (and probably Peters) don't get enough minutes that way. I think we'll see the team play 2 combo guards and 2 combo wings with Wes as a versatile post most of the time.

Tad wants to play inside-out. But what we've seen with J40 as a centerpiece is different than what Tad did his first 2 years here. I think we'll see a lot more spreading the court with dribble penetration next season. I think we'll see a lot more switching 1 through 5 on defense next season.

Looking at where the talent is in 2016-17, I can't imagine that Tad will try to go traditional with Tory at the 5, Wes at the 4, XJ at the 3, White at the 2 and Dom at the 1. King, Fletch and Fortune (and probably Peters) don't get enough minutes that way. I think we'll see the team play 2 combo guards and 2 combo wings with Wes as a versatile post most of the time.

That style of play lends itself to a very quick and active brand of basketball. Would be great.

Tad said yesterday at the watch party about XJ that "he'll help us a lot more next year."
He certainly seems to be under the impression that he's coming back.

Thing is, in the games J40 missed, I often saw lineups where Wes & Tory shared the front court. Maybe that was because it was a short term injury & he wanted to maintain identity. Hard to say whether Tad's first 2 yrs are any indication because he didn't have 1 let alone 2 bigs with the low post quality of Wes/Tory. We're going to see a mix of both styles--there's too many good players.

Also, XJ coming back should mean that Walton will redshirt.

Very good and close call, except substitute Yaz for Dom, then you'll be spot on! Yaz is growing and polishing his game, if he improves his shooting, he'll start. I'm not sure what Dom is doing with his; even at this late juncture, he's still pulling silly early fouls and turning the rock over too much.

Thing is, in the games J40 missed, I often saw lineups where Wes & Tory shared the front court. Maybe that was because it was a short term injury & he wanted to maintain identity. Hard to say whether Tad's first 2 yrs are any indication because he didn't have 1 let alone 2 bigs with the low post quality of Wes/Tory. We're going to see a mix of both styles--there's too many good players.

That would be good. It would allow Walton to get strong.

Very good and close call, except substitute Yaz for Dom, then you'll be spot on! Yaz is growing and polishing his game, if he improves his shooting, he'll start. I'm not sure what Dom is doing with his; even at this late juncture, he's still pulling silly early fouls and turning the rock over too much.
trash.png

Nailed it. AK at point. Wes at 5. Fortune, Fletch, GMFK, White, Peters, and XJ provide a whole lot of options in between. Dom and Tory backup the 1 and 5.

We'll have to wait and see if XJ can return from injury, Peters can play as a frosh and if White is for real.

Oh NOOOES!!! Dissent shall not be brooked by the oh so wise BB Mod!!! Must be an agenda around here somewhere, AMIRITE?

The img is broken for me so I can't say comment on what rugged said, but I can comment on the topic.

Dom is a better PG than AK. He has a higher ceiling. The way he played in high school is not a fluke, Dom has the ability to play much better. It is a mental thing with him, and as only a sophomore, I know he can get better. I guarantee he is not happy with his play.

That isn't to say AK isn't a big surprise. His experience on the national team circuit is evident. It is hard to determine how high his ceiling is though.

I think TA is playing the perfect role for this team.

I hope that making that 3pt shot against Arizona broke him out of the long funk he has been in. For a good part of the season, he was dangerous from deep and showed NBA+ range. Then this last third of the year it seemed everything he shot was so off target I was wondering if he needed to get lasik or something.

I believe the plan is for Walton to redshirt no matter what. I could be wrong though.

I gotta say, from the second that he tore his ACL, I was assuming XJ had played his last game in Boulder. I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic that I was wrong on that one. That would be HUGE for this team.

I hope that making that 3pt shot against Arizona broke him out of the long funk he has been in. For a good part of the season, he was dangerous from deep and showed NBA+ range. Then this last third of the year it seemed everything he shot was so off target I was wondering if he needed to get lasik or something.

Probably has to do with the grind of the season and not having his legs completely under him.

Anyone think it's possible Walton is a greyshirt? Just trying to make the #s work considering we are still recruiting guys.

Anyone think it's possible Walton is a greyshirt? Just trying to make the #s work considering we are still recruiting guys.
That would be ideal but we haven't heard anything about it. I don't think there is any question prep school would do him well.

I want Walton going against Wes/Tory in practice & in the S&C program ASAP. He could be relied on heavily in 17-18 & I don't think a GS would be the best route.

Ultimately, there's a scholarship player who is really up against it in terms of playing for CU & doesn't have a bunch of years in eligibility to wait to get his turn. If Siewert commits to CU then he should move on.

I am not a fan of Kenan Guzonjic remaining with the program. I look at the photos of him at Midland and D1 Ambassadors when Tad first scouted him and compare that to how he looks today. His fitness is simply not where it needs to be in terms of being committed to being a good basketball player at this level. Sometimes you miss on a guy. Move on.

I am not a fan of Kenan Guzonjic remaining with the program. I look at the photos of him at Midland and D1 Ambassadors when Tad first scouted him and compare that to how he looks today. His fitness is simply not where it needs to be in terms of being committed to being a good basketball player at this level. Sometimes you miss on a guy. Move on.

Will be very interesting to see what Tad does here.

I believe the plan is for Walton to redshirt no matter what. I could be wrong though.

I gotta say, from the second that he tore his ACL, I was assuming XJ had played his last game in Boulder. I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic that I was wrong on that one. That would be HUGE for this team.
Really? And here I thought you had an agenda!

Back