What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Xavier Johnson deciding

It is pretty well noted XJ doesn't like school and that he wants to get paid to play. You are reaching. As usual.

I think the better way to say it is that XJ is focused on pursuing a career in basketball rather than a career that academics would lead to.

So, yeah, when he tore the Achilles I thought he'd try to make a return this year and then move on to professional basketball. When he couldn't come back, I thought maybe he'd see what agents and scouts said his opportunities would be and jump at moving to the pros if something substantial was there. Otherwise, he does like this team and I believe Wes is his best friend on the team. He might be forced into delaying his career a year to put himself in the best position, but I wouldn't want people to have the impression that he'd be moping about it. He'll take a light courseload, live in the gym, hang out with his friends, and turn on the charm with the co-eds for another year. He'll be just fine.

I think the better way to say it is that XJ is focused on pursuing a career in basketball rather than a career that academics would lead to.

So, yeah, when he tore the Achilles I thought he'd try to make a return this year and then move on to professional basketball. When he couldn't come back, I thought maybe he'd see what agents and scouts said his opportunities would be and jump at moving to the pros if something substantial was there. Otherwise, he does like this team and I believe Wes is his best friend on the team. He might be forced into delaying his career a year to put himself in the best position, but I wouldn't want people to have the impression that he'd be moping about it. He'll take a light courseload, live in the gym, hang out with his friends, and turn on the charm with the co-eds for another year. He'll be just fine.

No doubt. Didn't mean to come across that way. If XJ returns he is going to be part 1b to Gordon's 1a when it comes to the featured role. Knowing what I do about XJ, he is absolutely going to love being the big man on campus, and I hope he seizes that opportunity on the court. If he does, next year is going to be incredible. A truly special season.

I am not a fan of Kenan Guzonjic remaining with the program. I look at the photos of him at Midland and D1 Ambassadors when Tad first scouted him and compare that to how he looks today. His fitness is simply not where it needs to be in terms of being committed to being a good basketball player at this level. Sometimes you miss on a guy. Move on.

It blows my mind that anybody thought he was a high-major player. He had below-average stats in junior college and that was before he tore his knee. His lack of athleticism makes Josh Scott look like Dwight Howard in his prime. I feel bad saying this stuff but, he's a victim of a major reach by the staff.

No doubt. Didn't mean to come across that way. If XJ returns he is going to be part 1b to Gordon's 1a when it comes to the featured role. Knowing what I do about XJ, he is absolutely going to love being the big man on campus, and I hope he seizes that opportunity on the court. If he does, next year is going to be incredible. A truly special season.

If by featured role, you mean on offense then there's no way Gordon is even the 3rd most featured offensive player next yr. If you mean featured, as in leader, then yeah those two are the leaders next yr.

Was checking into the Broker last night when XJ was was leaving with two blondes. I think he stays.

I am not a fan of Kenan Guzonjic remaining with the program. I look at the photos of him at Midland and D1 Ambassadors when Tad first scouted him and compare that to how he looks today. His fitness is simply not where it needs to be in terms of being committed to being a good basketball player at this level. Sometimes you miss on a guy. Move on.
We went to a game earlier this year where they passed out KG posters at the entrance. Because my girls thought it was so cool, they kept asking where he was on the floor. He finally got in during garbage time. They were happy. I was amazed they had made a poster for him...

We went to a game earlier this year where they passed out KG posters at the entrance. Because my girls thought it was so cool, they kept asking where he was on the floor. He finally got in during garbage time. They were happy. I was amazed they had made a poster for him...
They make posters for everyone, even the walk-ons.

Our front court the next couple years will be... interesting. XJ coming back means our class is done (barring attrition).

Walton is a couple years from significant contribution
Tory is ideally a guy off the bench (as of right now)

We may need to take a JUCO or transfer next class. Or hope for a blue chipper that is ready right away

Our front court the next couple years will be... interesting. XJ coming back means our class is done (barring attrition).

Walton is a couple years from significant contribution
Tory is ideally a guy off the bench (as of right now)

We may need to take a JUCO or transfer next class. Or hope for a blue chipper that is ready right away

Hopefully we can add Siewert to that.

It is pretty well noted XJ doesn't like school and that he wants to get paid to play. You are reaching. As usual.
All previously acknowleged; but then, who's gonna pay a kid whose physical condition is a total unknown? Even the European and ME clubs aren't that desperate. And say he does sign with a Euro club, he's unlikely to be guaranteed much and those clubs have history of shipping Americans around at will. Levi Knutson was with what, three clubs in one year? Same with Dufault. And they went over healthy! How's XJ gonna get continuing rehab, while traded from one club to another? Besides, I like the two blondes anecdote. Smart kid, you're only in college once.

Last edited:
All previously acknowleged; but then, who's gonna pay a kid whose physical condition is a total unknown? Even the European and ME clubs aren;t that desperate. An say he does sign with a Euro club, he's unlikely to be guaranteed much and those clubs have history of shipping Americans around at will. Levi Knutson was with what, three clubs in one year? Same with Dufault. And they went over healthy! How's XJ gonna get continuing rehab, while traded from one club to another?

He would get paid to rehab. Thats the key. Sure he may get shipped to different cities or different countries, but he would be getting paid. It isn't like XJ is a bum, he is a very talented basketball player with size to cause all kinds of mismatches at the 3 or the 4. He would be picked up over seas, guaranteed.

He's coming back. All this school/euro talk is moot. Only question now is can we get a Siewert/Guz swap?

I hope that he is coming back. But yesterday I saw him at the Pepsi Center. While going up the escalator for the second session he was walking out of a room and down the isle next to the escalator, not 10 feet below me. I called him out by name and he looked up. I said something to the effect of "come back next year Xavier, we need you" ... He smiled and kept walking on. I took that as a good sign originally. But about the time that I reached my seat it dawned on me that he was not in Des Moines with the CU team. UP to this point XJ had traveled with the team and showed great support, more so even then when he was playing, I think. But now he was not there with them in the tourney ... and about that time I also noticed the big center on Gonzaga who also missed the season with Utah due to injury, sitting the their bench. There are probably many good reasons why he was not there. But it caused me to pause and wait the celebrate until the chicken actually hatches. I just wonder what would it be that kept him away from Des Moines that day?

I hope that he is coming back. But yesterday I saw him at the Pepsi Center. While going up the escalator for the second session he was walking out of a room and down the isle next to the escalator, not 10 feet below me. I called him out by name and he looked up. I said something to the effect of "come back next year Xavier, we need you" ... He smiled and kept walking on. I took that as a good sign originally. But about the time that I reached my seat it dawned on me that he was not in Des Moines with the CU team. UP to this point XJ had traveled with the team and showed great support, more so even then when he was playing, I think. But now he was not there with them in the tourney ... and about that time I also noticed the big center on Gonzaga who also missed the season with Utah due to injury, sitting the their bench. There are probably many good reasons why he was not there. But it caused me to pause and wait the celebrate until the chicken actually hatches. I just wonder what would it be that kept him away from Des Moines that day?

School.

Also think the NCAA only reimburses for a certain amount of personnel to travel, and I don't think that includes guys on redshirt.

School.

Also think the NCAA only reimburses for a certain amount of personnel to travel, and I don't think that includes guys on redshirt.

I know for a fact it applies to the guys on redshirts (because White wasn't allowed to travel and @RK had a great interview with King a few weeks ago where he talked about how hard it was not traveling with the team) so I imagine that XJ wasn't allowed to travel with the whole status being up in the air.

Some of the schools are on spring break. CU was not on spring break when they were in Des Moines. I think school is the answer. Travel also, but school would be the biggest factor. Usually have midterms right up until classes are over for spring break. May have still had term papers to turn in.

Thanks for the information guys ... this probably explains his presence in the Pepsi Center. Can't wait to see him and the rest of the team next year.

Dom and/or Fortune?

Ouch. I think we'll be grateful they're still playing next year. I think of Collier as a year behind in development. If this were his freshman season we'd all be pretty psyched. Everything negative he's done these last two years is predominantly due to strength and laziness. Two areas that can be improved this offseason pretty easily (as his body seems now in that baseline position that most freshman end the season in, poised for a good offseason).

And Fortune ended the year in much more control than he'd started.

...And Fortune ended the year in much more control than he'd started.
To be precise, I think we could say JF (and the team's) season ended with him out of control... But certainly his last 2-3 weeks were markedly improved overall.

Love to see JFortune used more effectively next year. He is not the guy to bring the ball up court in crunch time. He is an amazing shooter. There is a place for that for sure on next years team. Hoping he has a good offseason to work on improving decision making.

Back