1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox freezing up - what now?

Discussion in 'Games' started by OKCBuff, Sep 25, 2012.

1. OKCBuff

OKCBuff Well-Known Member

So, I have an old Xbox. It's white and I think I've had it since like 2006, so this might just be it for the system. Anyway, a few days ago I turned it on and played NCAA and it froze -- with like lines through its and an old Atari-like buzz accompanying the lines on the screen. Resulted in multiple restarts. Flash forward to tonight and same thing, only this time it would struggle to leave the dashboard. I looked around online for fixes and the whole cache-clear thing didn't work. Other potential fixes didn't seem to fit the issue at hand.

I suppose the thing is just dead and I should replace it, although that's not in the cards financially at this time.

Anyone got any advice? Thanks!

2. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

That happened to mine and then I got the 3 Red Rings. That was with a first gen Xbox360; for me it about 5 times before the rings. Does it do the Atari thing with other games?

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Sounds like it is kaput... Count yourself lucky that it lasted as long as it did

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

4. CU827

CU827 Well-Known Member

Gamestop sells refurbed 360 for $120 or so. Its the old system so you could just pop you hard drive out and put it in the new one.

5. OKCBuff

I'm thinking it's dead, too. I had to restart like five times a few days ago for my game against KU because of it and was lucky to get the last game in. Now it's to the point that it's doing it on the Xbox dashboard, so it's not even just the game now, Buffnutt. I'm trying to close on a house right now so I won't have the wiggle room for another system anytime soon.

Figured I'd ask first, but I think my system is toast. And now that I think about my personal timeline, I think I've had it since 2005 because I had it in the apartment I split with my roommate once back from 04-06. I've never had systemic problems until now (other than the need to put NCAA on my hard drive to keep the game from getting weird on me) so I guess I'm pretty lucky. Heck, I never even saw any of the famed "red lights" on my system until last night, when it gave me four rings because my power cord wasn't attached correctly. Never seen a three-ring, which I hear is the worst. I might fire it back up tonight one more time to see if I can get it going, but I'm probably going to have to shut down gaming for awhile until I get one of the new, fancy black ones.

6. OKCBuff

This isn't my screen, but it's something I found online that is exactly similar...

[​IMG]

7. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

looks like the gpu, video cord, or connector are all goneso

8. OKCBuff

RIP, Xbox - 2005/6-2012. A good run.