1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox One vs. Playstation 4

Discussion in 'Games' started by Daaah, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

At the risk of starting a firestorm, I'm looking for opinions on which one I should purchase during Christmas sales. It's my understanding that the PS4 is the more powerful and popular machine but that the XBOX has backward compatibility. I don't care about backward compatibility as I plan to keep my old XBOX. Is there any other reason to go for the XBOX over the PS4?

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

PS4 has all the momentum going forward, but I think it's fair to say X1 has better game lineup this holiday.

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I'm biased, but I think the Xbone is a better machine for an overall entertainment device. TV integration, lots of apps, OneDrive integration, stream to your PC (and I'm reading rumors of streaming PC to Xbox). Backwards compatibility is also great, as all those 360 games (or hopefully all someday) available in the cloud.

PS4 is more powerful and is easily winning the sales war however - so if all your friends are on PS4 and you play multiplayer, then that makes it an easy choice.

4. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I am not a gamer, not interested.

If I were to want to purchase a system for my kids what would be the recommendation. Some considerations would be that I would not be interested in paying for any online services, I would not allow the kids to play anything that included mature content including graphic violence, and they likely would not be playing on-line. I would also not be interested in spending large amounts for games for the system.

As it is we allow the kids very limited screen time. Mostly films we have approved and that are appropriate for their ages and developmental levels. The little TV time they get is again highly filtered by us as is any time they spend on the computer which is almost all school related.

5. Daaah

Don't waste your money on either.

6. SuperBuff

SuperBuff Club Member Club Member

with those rules in mind I wouldn't buy either, but just a thought maybe buy an older system. You could find an old N64 online with a bundle of games for a reasonable price and not have worries of online gameplay or paying for extras. Lots of G rated games on the system as well.

FLounder likes this.
  7. Jalapeno

Jalapeno registered user Club Member

I keep going back and forth on which one to buy but at the same time, the games I want keep showing up on Steam. At this point, I'd get a X1 due to the Halo series and EA Access. Did anyone catch the newest Final Fantasy VII remake trailer? It's on PS4 first so it's obviously a timed exclusive. They are also putting PS2 games on the PS4 that can run in full 1080p glory which isn't much different from the Final Fantasy X HD remake. That game and X-2 should be on Steam soon but I plan on getting it for the Vita tomorrow.

And don't forget the Nintendo NX. I'm definitely taking my time until E3 2016 when they are supposed to unveil it. One thing that I am so glad I did for this generation was making the switch to PC gaming. I think it would be smart to wait unti the Nintendo NX is unveiled and comes out for the holidays next year. I'm adopting more of a PC + Nintendo stance for the foreseeable future.

8. dio

I have EA Access. I hate EA, but I love sports games... and it has been awesome for that. I never cared about having the just released versions, so being able to play the full game of every sport just a couple of months after release has been awesome, and at only $40/year, it isn't a bad deal at all.

9. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

PC + Steam stream box if you can afford. The savings I've made over the years through Steam sales is ridiculous.

Now, if you wish to get a console then I'd go with a PS4.

10. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

I wonder how quickly/effectively gaming with the new AppleTV will end up. The seems like they are slow-playing the market, but long term they'll end up as serious contenders

11. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I have both systems. I use my X1 mostly for entertainment purposes, while using my PS4 for gaming. You can't really go wrong either way, but I would look at what games you like and confirm if they have exclusivity on one system or another.

12. Jalapeno

Jalapeno registered user Club Member

I'm wondering the same thing about Apple TV but they finally refreshed the Apple TV for the first time in like a few years with the newest Apple TV. Need For Speed No Limits has me hooked big time. Final Fantasy 1-7 and Dragon Quest 1-8 are available for iOS as well.

However, Apple is requiring that games work with the included remote and that includes games that work with gamepads such as the Mad Catz C.T.R.L.R.i. that I have so it's kind of limiting the amount of games that the Apple TV can do. At the same time, you can mirror your iPhone to the Apple TV.

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  13. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

To the OP, I think you likely can't go wrong with either system as they both offer tons of **** - more **** than you'll likely ever use.

To MTN, with those restrictions don't even bother getting any gaming system for your kids. You could get them some sticks to play with, but they might use them for violent acts against the dog or each other so maybe not.

14. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

It looks like the PS4 is going to be backwards compatible for select ps2 and ps3 games soon. Sony is taking suggestions on which games people would like.

15. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I got a ps4 recently, seems pretty awesome. Maybe it's just me, but does the controller die really quickly for anyone else? Can't imagine the massive blue light on it helps on the battery..

super pumped for Uncharted 4. bartscott cant wait

TDforTD likes this.
  16. dply

It dies really quickly. You can dim the light and lower or turn off the volume to the remote and it helps a bit.

I have 4 controllers now so it's not as much of an issue.

White_Rabbit likes this.
  17. White_Rabbit

You get that MGS 5? That game was super sick, but then you beat it.. and it's not really over? Then you just keep playing missions you've already played? Super bizzare. No wonder Kojima babyraged and took his ball and went home.

18. dply

I liked it quite a bit. Quiet made me feel a bit perverted though.

19. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Is that unusual?

20. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

Very happy with the Xbox 360 game ports to Xbox One. It works seamlessly and provides additional entertainment options at little to no additional cost. Mostly good for the arcade style games sold by independent developers on the Xbox Live marketplace for casual games. Older Tier 1 titles from the Xbox 360 may make my eyes bleed after getting used to the better Xbox One graphics.

21. dply

That's a big issue with old games coming over. Vice City is one of my favorite games of all time. I bought it for PS3 and it sucked. The controls sucked and the graphics were so terrible I only played it for about 2 hours and then deleted it.

22. White_Rabbit

I tried to download Twisted Metal 2 one time. Childhood ruined

23. Daaah

I downloaded some age of empires game on xbox. It was complete ****.

24. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

I haven't had any control issues on the Xbox 360 ports, but again, up to this point, it has been arcade ports. The interesting one will be Bioshock. I never did finish that game and it is due out in a few months.

25. TDforTD

TDforTD Banned BANNED Club Member

Quick question, I bought and downloaded Rory mcilroy PGA tour from the PS online store. After 38(!) hours, it finally installed. Anyway it's only giving me a play now and tutorial mode option. I looked online and it said that it's fairly common and hasn't completely finished downloading and to wait an hour. I did that and still won't let me do anything else. Have you guys had this problem? Really hoping it's not a corrupted download or something lol, because I checked and it said that its fully updated.

26. Matt

Matt Nerd Drone Pilot Club Member

38 hour download? you on dial-up? Google PS4 download speed fix. Changing your DNS servers can fix that problem.

TDforTD likes this.
  27. shinsan

shinsan New Member

I think ps4 is number one. Have so many good game (y)

28. TDforTD

TDforTD Banned BANNED Club Member

Anyone gonna check out No Man's Sky?

Reading mixed reviews. Seems like a lot of fun, at least for a little while. I have a bad habit of never finishing games so I probably won't buy this for a while anyway.

29. dio

I want to get hyped for it, but it strikes me as a mile wide and an inch deep. The combat looks shallow and buggy, there is nothing to build yet, and the crafting looks simpler than most survival games on Steam. Seems a stretch to charge $60 for it. I will get it on sale.

TDforTD likes this.
  30. BuffPride88

BuffPride88 Club Member Club Member

Games like that are too much for me. I would kill for an NCAA Football game right about now, though. I've been rotating between The Division and NBA2K with Star Wars sprinkled in

TDforTD likes this.