What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

XJ Suspended vs UW

You know who else is shooting close to 40% from deep, yet are taking 50% off their shots at the rim?

Jhop and Thomas
And one takes 26.2% of the shots while having missed multiple games, the other two take 18.2% and 14.7% of the shots. Behind Ski, XJ (who has played in 2/3 less games), Scott (who has played in 3/4 less games), and Collier for DT. Those percentages aren't all that representative because of the injuries; Scott and XJ take a lot more shots than that, but that'll change over the rest of the season as they come back and play their normal minutes.

I'd like the Louisville style for us, I know broken record lol. We have athletes, I think you are better utilizing them being just that. Get as many easy points as possible. Push it when it's there, back it out if not and start running your O. Good point NW.

I thought that was the plan moving forward for Tad, if you believe all the BS/George Karl articles that have been published in the last few months. I still think they're attempting to run even less after George was at practice and the article was printed.

And one takes 26.2% of the shots while having missed multiple games, the other two take 18.2% and 14.7% of the shots. Behind Ski, XJ (who has played in 2/3 less games), Scott (who has played in 3/4 less games), and Collier for DT. Those percentages aren't all that representative because of the injuries; Scott and XJ take a lot more shots than that, but that'll change over the rest of the season as they come back and play their normal minutes.

You are 100% over reliant on metrics.

Tell me how so in this case

Metrics like you are quoting can be useful tools but they only tell a very finite story and do not exist in vacuum. I bet there are a million other metrics that can be looked at and half of them probably contradict one another. Maybe if XJ played at the rim more we would then be provided new metrics that show us how effective he is from in close; attacking. You can only capture the data that is available.

My point is don't miss the forest...yada yada.

Tell me how so in this case

First, it's not a video game.

Second, you seem to place too much reliance on "reversion to mean" as if all other variables are equal. All teams, programs, coaches and talent levels are not equal across college sports. Sometimes, the stats reveal that a team or player "is what it is" and there is no luck or future improvement that can be expected.

First, it's not a video game.

Second, you seem to place too much reliance on "reversion to mean" as if all other variables are equal. All teams, programs, coaches and talent levels are not equal across college sports. Sometimes, the stats reveal that a team or player "is what it is" and there is no luck or future improvement that can be expected.
I guess I should start out by saying that I do not believe the on-court issues stem from the front court with Scott, Wesley, and XJ. I see our guard play, specifically the PG position, as the biggest on-court issue. So this really started by me saying that I have a hard time critiquing XJ's actual play. I believe our issues start with our guards, and even more specifically with Talton not doing **** this year. I don't see the team being better by having XJ shot at a 60:40 shots at the rim ratio given that he shoots well from 3 and few of them are actually assisted while still taking about 36% of his shots at the rim. We turn the ball over too much and don't get enough points off of assists meaning we have to take more difficult shots, I don't think that's going to be fixed with XJ driving more...

I guess I should start out by saying that I do not believe the on-court issues stem from the front court with Scott, Wesley, and XJ. I see our guard play, specifically the PG position, as the biggest on-court issue. So this really started by me saying that I have a hard time critiquing XJ's actual play. I believe our issues start with our guards, and even more specifically with Talton not doing **** this year. I don't see the team being better by having XJ shot at a 60:40 shots at the rim ratio given that he shoots well from 3 and few of them are actually assisted while still taking about 36% of his shots at the rim. We turn the ball over too much and don't get enough points off of assists meaning we have to take more difficult shots, I don't think that's going to be fixed with XJ driving more...

Driving to the rim can draw extra defenders, particularly if it is XJ. This can lead to kick outs or assists to the big men under the basket. Additionally, this could lead to help defenders, usually big men, getting into foul trouble earlier. Relieving some pressure for later in the game.

Right now a large part of the guard problem is too much standing around by all 5 players. Why not attack the basket?

Tad's in-game strategy with XJ seems to have become limiting his minutes so that he goes balls out during his time on the court instead of allowing him to revert into a passive rhythm for stretches. The next step is for him to fulfill his potential, as jg pointed out, of becoming a #1. But what we have seen so far is that he's got more of a 6th man mentality who will also play with a ton of intensity in crunch time.

I've watched a lot of NCAA basketball this season, with Colorado being the most watched team.....I haven't seen a team that stands around more, which makes we wonder what Tad hopes to accomplish with his offense? Feels like I'm watching a bad NBA team, that thinks the point of the offense is to take turns on who gets to isolate then take a shot.

I've watched a lot of NCAA basketball this season, with Colorado being the most watched team.....I haven't seen a team that stands around more, which makes we wonder what Tad hopes to accomplish with his offense? Feels like I'm watching a bad NBA team, that thinks the point of the offense is to take turns on who gets to isolate then take a shot.
That's what I'm saying, get them out and let them be athletic. My brother has been coaching over 20 years and asked me just the other day, why don't you guys run? I said, good question. The more you move, the better you are.

That's what I'm saying, get them out and let them be athletic. My brother has been coaching over 20 years and asked me just the other day, why don't you guys run? I said, good question. The more you move, the better you are.

I agree with you and your brother on the subject.....I can't figure out why a PAC 12 team can't make the adjustments that most high school coaches would have made. Very troubling stuff that I see:

1. Point guards- Talton has regressed, Dom in my opinion isn't as good as advertised.....yet.
2. Offense- why are they still walking the ball up and standing around on the perimeter? If booker doesn't take the shot, the offense looks doomed.
3. The reluctance of every player outside of booker and XJ to shoot. It appears they're starting to take more shots, but for the first portion of the season it's been awful.
4. In game adjustments/out of bounds play calling/executing- it's pretty self explanatory, we don't make adjustments....period.
5. Off court issues- with the XJ suspension, whats that bring the tally to for the season of players getting in trouble?
6. Seniors/Juniors leadership- other then banging on their chests and yelling statements while coming off the floor, what have the upper classmen done to lead by example or lead vocally?

Sorry for the banter....but the topic of this thread is one issue for this team, but I see a trend going on that goes back to this issue last year, and nothing seems to be done to correct it.

Driving to the rim can draw extra defenders, particularly if it is XJ. This can lead to kick outs or assists to the big men under the basket. Additionally, this could lead to help defenders, usually big men, getting into foul trouble earlier. Relieving some pressure for later in the game.

Right now a large part of the guard problem is too much standing around by all 5 players. Why not attack the basket?
I understand the benefits of the drive and dish, but I don't want to lose XJ's 40% from deep with a ratio that exceeds how many shots Scott takes at the rim. Hopkins should be the guy to slash or dish while Ski and XJ pose as perimeter threats that both shoot over 40% from deep. That puts a lot of pressure on the defense having to account for both on the outside and a slasher.

I understand the benefits of the drive and dish, but I don't want to lose XJ's 40% from deep with a ratio that exceeds how many shots Scott takes at the rim. Hopkins should be the guy to slash or dish while Ski and XJ pose as perimeter threats that both shoot over 40% from deep. That puts a lot of pressure on the defense having to account for both on the outside and a slasher.

I see what you're saying and I am in agreement that someone needs to start driving to the hoop consistently, like Spencer did last year. I just don't think that JHop has the ball control necessary to get to the basket on the opposing guards and then the decision making to not turn it over at a high rate.

XJ presents a very nice mismatch. If the opposition starts playing off from him b/c he is driving, that is when he can get the perimeter shot going.

Agreed I feel like im watching the Denver Nuggets on offense

The big issue with XJ is that he is supposed to be a leader - and when your team is struggling this badly, that is a very important role. Instead, he's now on, what, his 3rd suspension of the year? I recall a couple of CU football coaches who used the '3 strike' rule and would have had to suspend him for the year. I don't advocate that, but what do the younger players think, when he shows selfishness instead of leadership and no inclination to learn from his mistakes?

XJ is a cool, bubbly kind of guy, but he's also a head case.

The big issue with XJ is that he is supposed to be a leader - and when your team is struggling this badly, that is a very important role. Instead, he's now on, what, his 3rd suspension of the year? I recall a couple of CU football coaches who used the '3 strike' rule and would have had to suspend him for the year. I don't advocate that, but what do the younger players think, when he shows selfishness instead of leadership and no inclination to learn from his mistakes?

XJ is a cool, bubbly kind of guy, but he's also a head case.

Well said. Completely agree.

Without knowing the nature of the offenses, I've been wondering how close he is to the 'final straw' or a more drastic next disciplinary step like suspension or kicked off the team.

Given this is a young team, with little leadership, IMHO this situation is a bit more dicey than if his digressions were happening on a more veteran, mature team with strong leaders like Spencer, Carlon, etc..... IE on a more mature team, I'd be more confident the guys in the room could take care of it.

But on a younger team, with no leaders, part of me thinks Tad needs to step up and set an example. At some point I worry the younger players might sense one can get away with multiple team infractions with slaps on wrists.

Perhaps it might (key is word *might* I'm torn if this the right move) be wise to make a bold statement to the team with how this handled by doling out a severe punishment. And, perhaps, it might even be in XJ's best interest if it serves as a wake-up call that might benefit his future direction in life.

I think how Tad handles all the adversity this season will show us a great deal more about how good a coach he is or isn't. As a betting man, I'll put my money on Tad to learn from this, get the ship turned around eventually and be a better coach for it. But we may find (hoping not) that perhaps a lot of guys are great coaches when they have Spencer Dinwiddie's, Andre Robersons, and Alec Burks's on their rosters.

This might be a dumb question since we don't really know what XJ did, but would a Calipari or Petino or Altman suspend a player in XJ's situation?

Discussions of shooting percentages in general aren't too illuminating without including a complementary discussion of usage.

I hope Josh is back strong and the back issue doesn't continue throughout the season. The team needs a jumpstart right now, and we need to show some toughness in the upcoming games.

Last edited:
Back