1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

year to year comparison

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by NW Buff, Aug 13, 2008.

1. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

I asked this question in another thread but it got overlooked. Can any of the people who attended practices/scrimmages last year and this comment on the differences. The newspaper articles make it sound like a huge difference compared to last year but newspapers tend to over-hype everything.

Is it really a night and day difference from last year to this?

Thanks

2. Bill Cody

Bill Cody Well-Known Member

Absolutely IMO.

tempo, organization, agressiveness have all been turned up to 11. There are still significant holes to be filled. But for a first scrimmage, I thought they looked pretty good. Last year....not so much.

I will be interested to see how they progress over the next couple of weeks...particularly the freshmen.

I still say we are a 6-8 win team given our schedule. We still have glaring weaknesses (secondary) and a lot of youth that will have growing pains regardless of how talented they are.

3. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

****. It's this kind of objectivitiy that makes me say **** **** ****. I want gold-colored optimism, dammit! :smile2:

ladyblaise likes this.
  4. Bill Cody

Bill Cody Well-Known Member

There is still time 96. I will probably be here on 8/27 saying that we'll win 10:smile2:

5. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

to me, the players look bigger and stronger out of pads than in a few years. i'm encouraged by that. i walk by the Dal and the practice fields about 3-5 times a week year round. I saw Hawk pulling into the Dal at about 7:45 in his black Escalade this AM.

that has to help with depth. not a lot we don't read, but an eyeball witness confirmation.

i can't speak to last year so much but i have yet to come away from a scrimmage feeling real optimistic about the year under Hawk. I missed Monday, but maybe this year will change. to be fair, we've had dark serious uncertainty about the QB situation the lat two years which i think will be more than adequate this year. but, like another posted, i'm still in the 7 win area.

6. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

This is a much different team than the last 5-6 years, much diferent than last year.. I think the nation is gonna be surprised. With our difficult schedule I don't see 8-9 wins real impossile. I can see 6 too, but I would be shockd if we don't go to a bowl.

7. manley1104

manley1104 New Member

There's a lot of reason to think this team will be real good. The run defense will be good as always, and the offense will be balanced and be able to put up some points. The problem is with the questions about the pass rush combined with a young secondary AND all the great arms in the Big 12.....could be a long year. However, my glass is half full of Darrell Scott so 8-10 wins.

8. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

i think a lot of the optimism and hype in the media and everywhere else breeds with the fact that our own players have a definite swagger and demeanor to themselves this year that's been lacking with the Buffs for awhile

9. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

8 - 9 wins will be very difficult, 7 would be a very good year for a young team.

10. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

If Hawkins wins 9 games - give him a contract extension, and a nice bump in pay. I just don't see this happening, but I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008