What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

your facilities wishlist

Let's not forget that we are competing against the Pac-12 schools so the need for more modern facilities and stuff like that might not be as necessary as it is in the Big 12. Two conferences that have different priorities from each other.

Let's not forget that we are competing against the Pac-12 schools so the need for more modern facilities and stuff like that might not be as necessary as it is in the Big 12. Two conferences that have different priorities from each other.

We still have a lot of work to do in order to bring our facilities up to Pac 12 standards. Just because we're not in an all-out facilities arms-race doesn't mean we can sit back and do nothing. We have work to do. A lot of it.

Long term contracts for asst coaches

Rip up west side and add seats.

Indoor practice facility-not a bubble.

Beer

Dal Ward upgrades

CU needs a kick ass "Field House." Indoor track, pool, fitness center, ice rink, basketball courts, raquetball/handball courts, indoor tennis courts, volleyball courts, rifle range, bumper cars, roller coaster, baseball practice facility, climbing wall, giant aquarium in which you can scuba dive with sharks, white water kayaking/canoing course, pool hall, indoor practice facility, classrooms, offices, movie theatre, paintball course, sports bar with 150 big screen TV's, bowling alleys, underground parking......

----I wish it was that easy. Resting on our laurels is the reason why we got lapped in the facility dept in the BIG XII - We screw around for too long in the PAC 12 and we will be at the bottom of our conference again. 1. Indoor practice facility 2. Flatiron club reno/scoreboard 3. stadium expansion

CU needs a kick ass "Field House." Indoor track, pool, fitness center, ice rink, basketball courts, raquetball/handball courts, indoor tennis courts, volleyball courts, rifle range, bumper cars, roller coaster, baseball practice facility, climbing wall, giant aquarium in which you can scuba dive with sharks, white water kayaking/canoing course, pool hall, indoor practice facility, classrooms, offices, movie theatre, paintball course, sports bar with 150 big screen TV's, bowling alleys, underground parking......

The City of Boulder will never allow underground parking.

So from the fan perspective, there's clearly no end in sight for what upgrades could/should be happening.

Does anyone know the reality of what the AD wants in order of priority?

I would assume that if the new Pac 12 TV deal is as big as advertised -- at least $15million/year for us, which I think is a $5million/year increase, not to mention the increase from Bohn's 12k buff club members by 2012 goal -- that we should be able to start a serious facility project reasonably soon after recouping our Big12 exit fee, maybe 2013?

So from the fan perspective, there's clearly no end in sight for what upgrades could/should be happening.

I would assume that if the new Pac 12 TV deal is as big as advertised -- at least $15million/year for us, which I think is a $5million/year increase, not to mention the increase from Bohn's 12k buff club members by 2012 goal -- that we should be able to start a serious facility project reasonably soon after recouping our Big12 exit fee, maybe 2013?

I think this would help us cover some long-term debt payments on a new project, but to do anything really major we need some major donors to come to the party. I don't know any of this, just what I assume.

Are you joking? I don't know about all of the Pac-12 facilities but thanks to Phil Knight, Oregon has insanely nice facilities.

http://www.oregongridiron.com/facilities.html

I don't think moving to the Pac-12 reduces the pressure at all.

Wasn't there, years ago, maybe when Tharp was AD, the beginnings of a plan for a $300 million field house? They may have even had renderings of it.

Mike Bohn has said that the football team is now the focus. In the beginning, he focused on necessary improvements to football that really stood out as bad for the program, delivering improvements to the locker room, meeting rooms, getting the practice bubble, adding the entrance gates, and installing permanent lights on the west side of Folsom.

There is one more red flag item and then it's time to start working on the big projects. We've got to replace and upgrade the scoreboards. They've already outlived the 10-year lifespan the manufacturer projected. They're old and they're unimpressive. Time for an upgrade. For comparison, the ridiculous scoreboard the Dallas Cowboys did was at a cost of $35 million.

After that, I think we're looking at a major stadium renovation project. My belief is that a complete remodel of Balch Field House should be the first step. If it can be salvaged with its current footprint, fine. Otherwise, tear it down and make it a permanent indoor practice facility that can double as our indoor track & field center. As part of this, we need to renovate the press boxes (haven't been touched since 1968, I think). And, expand the West Flatirons Club with premium seating that extends another section to the north and south (maybe 2 to the north).

I'd also love to see Dal Ward expanded in a way that would close off the North stands, give us tunnels that the teams (and Ralphie) come out of, and gives us additional seating.

As an aside, CU needs to do a better job of having concerts and other events at Coors and Folsom. These are money-makers that also connect the university to the community and get residents (and students) more accustomed to going to the CU stadiums for entertainment. Anyone know why we don't see this?

As an aside, CU needs to do a better job of having concerts and other events at Coors and Folsom. These are money-makers that also connect the university to the community and get residents (and students) more accustomed to going to the CU stadiums for entertainment. Anyone know why we don't see this?

This headaches & damages this would cause the campus are not worth it, in my opinion. We all see what a congested nightmare campus becomes for football games. It would be the same for concerts. The lives & jobs of the students & faculty have to come first. Now if we're talking only during the summer months, then it might be a possibility.

Agree with the tunnel idea and they could just extend and curve the seating around the top of the tunnels and have each side shore up against each side of Dal Ward. It could look really cool. Dal Ward could then be converted into luxury box seating and throw the weightroom as part of the new practice faciliity.

As far as the practice facility goes, I don't think they would have enough space to put it in where Bach fieldhouse considering how close the bio building and rec center are on each side. I don't think you could get more than about a 50 yard field in that area without having to bulldoze part of the rec center. Would probably have to put it north of Frankling field like in the master plan but either way as long as we get one with a track around it we are golden. Hopefully within about 10yrs or so some of these big time renos will come to pass. If they do it right, which I think they will, Folsom could look awesome. The good thing is that the CEO of Sink Combs is a CU grad so if they get the bid, you know they will take care not to eff it up.

my big wish. basketball only gym on the order of UVA's new one....capacity about 8500. not too big, not too small.

Last edited:
Back