What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Your level of support for Mike Bohn

Folsom Project 2012

• Bohn is the man for the job regardless of what happens here

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • Bohn is NOT the man for the job regardless of what happens here

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • It all depends on this project

Votes: 61 60.4%

• Total voters
I have to bite my tongue about how I feel about this administration but it rivals my support for a team 45 minutes north.

That bad, eh? Well in that case, then we should expect you to stay at home next bball season when the students go on their free trip to the conference tournament or any other post-season play, otherwise you'd come off as a huge douchey hypocrite or pay for it out of your own pocket.

That bad, eh? Well in that case, then we should expect you to stay at home next bball season when the students go on their free trip to the conference tournament or any other post-season play, otherwise you'd come off as a huge douchey hypocrite or pay for it out of your own pocket.

So nice of you to pick that post alone out among the many other posts who also do not think Bohn is the man for the job. Pretty douchey move.

So nice of you to pick that post alone out among the many other posts who also do not think Bohn is the man for the job. Pretty douchey move.

Well, duh. The others aren't freeloading the AD and bitching about Bohn at the same time. Just you.

Well, duh. The others aren't freeloading the AD and bitching about Bohn at the same time. Just you.

Except if you have read the thread you'd see I said Bohn has done a few good things but also a lot more bad things that outweigh the good with the scheduling, lack of vision, fundraising issues, treatment of students before football games, ****** football product for the past six years, CSU contract, etc. Glad to know that I have to support Bohn just because I went to every basketball home game minus two or three and got rewarded for it because nothing else matters. Thanks for setting the record straight, I don't know if I ever would have come to that realization without your help.

Except if you have read the thread you'd see I said Bohn has done a few good things but also a lot more bad things that outweigh the good with the scheduling, lack of vision, fundraising issues, treatment of students before football games, ****** football product for the past six years, CSU contract, etc. Glad to know that I have to support Bohn just because I went to every basketball home game minus two or three and got rewarded for it because nothing else matters. Thanks for setting the record straight, I don't know if I ever would have come to that realization without your help.

Don't change the subject, tini. And what does bragging about attending almost every home game have anything to do with your support of Bohn?? I mean, what the hell? You attend those games for different reasons, obviously. But seriously, to quantify your opinion of the AD as similar to your overwhelmingly stupid hate fetish for the lambs to the north, you're really saying you hate Bohn. So don't bite the hand that feeds you or in other words, show your disappointment (and understandably so) in the AD through other means and certainly not by accepting another free trip from them.. :rolling_eyes: Get it?

Don't change the subject, tini. And what does bragging about attending almost every home game have anything to do with your support of Bohn?? I mean, what the hell? You attend those games for different reasons, obviously. But seriously, to quantify your opinion of the AD as similar to your overwhelmingly stupid hate fetish for the lambs to the north, you're really saying you hate Bohn. So don't bite the hand that feeds you or in other words, show your disappointment (and understandably so) in the AD through other means and certainly not by accepting another free trip from them.. :rolling_eyes: Get it?
Why would I turn it down? That trip was just an added bonus for me and the 99 other people who went to the games. I'm glad to know I can't disapprove of Bohn though just because of the trip to ABQ. Yes it was a great move but how about the Toledo trip? The one and done with tOSU and Michigan? The CSU contract? The lack of vision in the AD? The fundraising issues that have been brought up in this thread? The big statement about a transformational facility upgrade that he has since backed off of and now we are potentially looking at doing something half that, if that, that won't actually solve much, if anything? The way we (the students) are forced to enter the stadium like we're cows? The lack of a commitment to winning? The ****** product that has been put on the gridiron since he was hired? Sorry but all of those outweigh the trip and will keep me from supporting him and the other two.

We've all vented in this thread.

I want to bring it back a bit.

I'm actually a supporter of Mike Bohn.

He inherited a mess and has been in a tough situation with extremely limited resources. In the midst of that, he has done a good job of finding the resources to make improvements where possible. Some things have had to give, such as having a skeleton executive team in the AD. He has been building that back up (Ceal Berry to oversee women's sports, Matt Biggers as CMO, etc.).

I also think that a level of patience is required due to the political climate at CU and how much the AD's hands are tied while it still owes millions of dollars to the school for the loans it has had to take. Joining the Pac-12 will make that go away, but in the short-term it made it worse with the lost Big 12 revenue in our last year there and the lack of conference revenue in our first Pac-12 year.

My frustration is chiefly about the lack of a communicated vision. I've got a decent, though not perfect grasp, of the current situation. I've got a good understanding of what our competitors are doing to improve. So, I've got a pretty good idea of what we need. I would assume that Mike Bohn has a much better grasp of all this.

So why doesn't he lay his cards on the table?

Here's where we are. Here's where we want to be. Here's what we need to do in order to make that happen.

Then, give some tangible short-term, near-term and long-term goals along with the strategies and tactics which support them. Reach out to the fan base and tell us what we can do. Ask for help. Get us excited about working toward some tangible improvements.

Without this type of vision and leadership, it becomes difficult to support Mike Bohn as the right person into the future. I give him a high score for how he has captained this ship through troubled times, but that does not mean that he is the right person for a very different job -- leading us in times of prosperity.

Great ideas all! Now march over to the CU FOUNDATION with them. Its the CU Foundation that's in charge of fund-raising and they have a staff who work with the AD. Those are the folks you need to hammer on. Also, make out donation checks to the Foundation with specific directions on where you want the donated funds to go, such requests have to be honored by the Foundation since they act in a fiduciary capacity.

This is a great idea. I mean, sure, if you attach strings to the donation it's no longer tax deductible, but I doubt any of the donors care about that sort of thing...

I think the people who support Bohn including myself wouldn't be supportive if Boyle hadn't panned out like he has at this point. Basically the PAC-12 move, Boyle, CEC improvements, and the basketball practice facility needs to be looked at as very positive things for Bohn. Would we have ripped on Bohn if we failed in football under someone else besides Hawkins? Yes we would have. No one in the country ever thought Hawkins would be a major failure in Boulder. We are piling on Hawkins failings too much on Bohn IMO.

We couldn't get a bigger name due to the fact that we are paying the salaries of Barnett, Hawkins, and Embree. Suppose we weren't in that situation, we would be able to get a coach for 2 to 3 million a year. Until Barnett and Hawkins are paid off, we might be stuck in the mud like right now. We will not be like this forever.

I think the people who support Bohn including myself wouldn't be supportive if Boyle hadn't panned out like he has at this point. Basically the PAC-12 move, Boyle, CEC improvements, and the basketball practice facility needs to be looked at as very positive things for Bohn. Would we have ripped on Bohn if we failed in football under someone else besides Hawkins? Yes we would have. No one in the country ever thought Hawkins would be a major failure in Boulder. We are piling on Hawkins failings too much on Bohn IMO.

We couldn't get a bigger name due to the fact that we are paying the salaries of Barnett, Hawkins, and Embree. Suppose we weren't in that situation, we would be able to get a coach for 2 to 3 million a year. Until Barnett and Hawkins are paid off, we might be stuck in the mud like right now. We will not be like this forever.

Nash, for the record I don't think that anyone really has an axe to grind with the initial hiring of Hawkins. It was the extension before achieving a winning season with a larger buyout put into the new contract that people have much upsetness over. And it wasn't even an isolated mistake. The same thing was done with Kathy McConnell-Miller (and has resulted in another large buyout). Add in the lame duck year under Patton instead of making a decisive move. Throw in Barnett's final year -- first he's offered an extension, then he's fired.

The biggest compliment I can give Bohn, though, is that he seems to have learned from his mistakes. Hempen got fired as our soccer coach because he wasn't winning and wasn't recruiting well. Coach hirings, given the budget constraint, have focused on lower cost up-and-coming coaches who want to be at CU and have histories of being champions (Football, MBB, WBB, Soccer, W-LAX). Bohn isn't in such a rush to extend coaches long-term in fear they might leave. Instead, he's letting it play out with confidence that CU will match offers if the coach is someone we want to keep. Again, he has learned. Let's say that HaLkins had followed up 2007's low-level bowl with a 9- or 10-win season in 2008. Maybe someone would have backed up a truckload of money and he would have left. So what? We'd have just collected the buyout money and hired someone new. Given the finances of the AD in that era, that wouldn't have been a bad thing to happen in the least. Instead, we negotiated against ourselves and did a bad deal.

The other main issue is scheduling. I believe Mike Bohn when he says that if the RMS deal was on the table today that he wouldn't do it (9-game conference schedule / huge increase in conference revenue changed the dynamics for CU). But I simply can't excuse a 10-year agreement with a MWC team that doesn't have a single game in Folsom while it does give the MWC team the option for a game in its stadium. Also, scheduling issues like the Toledo debacle, the one-off money grab at Ohio State and the repeat of that with Michigan scheduled for a year in the future when some extra incremental revenue will not be the overriding concern. I believe that Bohn is getting better on scheduling, but the problem is that he thinks so much more about money and tv exposure that it doesn't seem like he gives much consideration to the perceived prestige of CU football or creating the best opportunity for CU football to return to elite status.

This is a great idea. I mean, sure, if you attach strings to the donation it's no longer tax deductible, but I doubt any of the donors care about that sort of thing...

Uh, where does it say "attach strings to donations""?

You have always been able to direct where your actual contribution will go. For example if I write a $500 check to the CU FOUNDATION (the only kind that will result in a tax deduction since the FOUNDATION is the 501(c)3 organization, not the AD) I can say I want $250 to go to Norlin and $250 to go to the AD.....Ta Da! Tax deductible, been doing it for years!

Now, if I write a check that says "here's my $10K but you can only cash it if you fire Mike Bohn", that's an impermissible "string attached". Capice?

Posters around here seem not to realize the CU FOUNDATION is the fund-raising poobah, not the Athletic Department! As I noted before send your cards and letters, checks/directions and suggestions to the FOUNDATION, contact and address of which is posted above! Ask them to get their sh*t together on behalf of the AD. And I speak with some experience, having a couple of clients who are fund-raisers with college foundations---(BTW, their disdain for athletics fund-raising is palpable!DamnThey think and argue the "best" fund-raising is directed at only academic pursuits, a huge professional bias, and that athletics has NOTHING to do with overall exposure and fund-raising for the University! They research and write white papers trying to prove that! But, at least CUF has a person specializing in athletics.)

Yes, the AD has nothing to do with fundraising. Nothing at all. Do you realize how dumb that premise is?

Back