What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Your top coaching candidates

Well, Goldie Hawn in Wildcats or Henry Winkler in The Waterboy would certainly be a step up.

Seriously, after Hawk goes (hopefully sooner than later) and he goes on the offensive, spewing his crap to the nat'l media about not being able to win in Boulder, blah, blah, blah (thru no fault of his own, of course), I wonder how high the interest level will be among the higher profile candidates?

I'm thinking the hire will have to be someone with true interest in the Buff program (meaning somebody with CU ties), and not just someone interested solely because it's a vacant BCS position. That'll limit the pool however.

But, the two most obvious candidates with ties & interest in the program, Bienemy and Embree, do have the ability to bring some instant credibility based on NFL and Pac 10 experience and that NFL experience can affect recruiting immediately. While recruiting ain't everything, I think it's immediately critical because we will have effectively lost 2 recruiting years (2009-10) because of Hawk's lame duck status.

I don't also wonder if the administration will also try and make a national statement in hiring a black head coach, trying to get some positive national attention to wash away the laughingstock football reputation Hawk has created.

Boy. You sure look up to your Oregon cousins. Hiring Belotti would be a huge step in the wrong direction for this program.

Belotti did a helluva lot getting Oregon to be one of the top teams in college football today. Oregon did some damn good things under him. I would cream my pants if we could hire him.

If Jacksonville jags finish .500 this year, I bet they let Jack Del Rio go. He's done a good job over the years and I think he'd be a helluva college coach. I love his intensity. I mean, seriously, he got one of his players to chop off his own foot with an axe. He is a USC player, but a KU grad. Lots of what ifs there, but I'd love that hire. Prolly a pipe dream though...

Would Mike Riley leave OSU?

He's hands down the best proven coach in the Pac, doing more with less than anyone else, and it's not even close. He would be an incredible hire. I'm not sure he'll leave Oregon St. though...

Belotti and Jim Mora Jr. would be two at the top of my list.

I'm betting that the next coach will be a hire out of left field (no HC experience), surprising everybody...

Would Mike Riley leave OSU?

He's hands down the best proven coach in the Pac, doing more with less than anyone else, and it's not even close. He would be an incredible hire. I'm not sure he'll leave Oregon St. though...

Belotti and Jim Mora Jr. would be two at the top of my list.

I'm betting that the next coach will be a hire out of left field (no HC experience), surprising everybody...

Funny, I wanted him last year. Would LOVE mike riley.... and the Rodgers brothers are leaving soon (good time to get out)... and he can recruit TX...

And ya, next coaching hire, if hawk lasts the season, will be an OC from an established program that we haven't really thought all that much about.

Would Bieniemy really want to come here? He is the assistance HC of an NFL team and rising fast, it seems. It seems that being CU HC would be a lateral move at absolute-best.

Would Bieniemy really want to come here? He is the assistance HC of an NFL team and rising fast, it seems. It seems that being CU HC would be a lateral move at absolute-best.

Are you kidding? CU HC would be a big step up for him right now.

Phil Knight did a helluva lot getting Oregon to be one of the top teams in college football today. Oregon did some damn good things under him. I would cream my pants if we could hire him.
fify.

philknight.jpg

I know we would have no chance in hell but I would love to have Chucky in Boulder. As it is, I like Jim Mora Jr. Also Belotti or a top assistant with a proven track record at a top program. Bienemy is intruiging but Id rather have him in a role much like Muschamp in Texas. Doubt we could pay him enough to do it tho.

Chucky would be my top pick if I could go out and get anybody but I KNOW he wouldn't even return Bohn's phone call. I Honestly I don't think Gruden would come back to any college program for under 5 mil a year and it would have to be at a historical football powerhouse school with cache like Michigan, Notre Dame, Miami etc. He knows he can get an HC NFL gig whenever he decides to put the microphone down in the booth so I think he's just biding his time for the right team to have an open spot. -- I would love to have Muschamp but he wouldn't do it for less than 4 mil and I think it would only be to go to Georgia or LSU. He makes as much as our head coach now as an assistant at Texas. And if he just hangs out he has one of the easiest gigs waiting for him. Historical program, best facilities, lots of money, and loads of in state talent.

This is why I'm leaning toward an EB hire because of the state our program is in now. If we had more money and better facilities I would pass. Since we can't afford to pay anybody over about 1.5 million, we have a 2 million Hawkins buyout, a future 10 million dollar revenue hit, and poor facilities we don't have a lot to work with. At least you know EB can motivate people and find good talent. He has a little pull with kids now coming from the NFL and he would work his butt off to turn the program around.

I don't have any names on my list. But what I do want to see at Colorado again: nasty attitude, smashmouth football, disciplined play, and a ****ing desire to win every mother****ing game.

Throwing out a couple other names for what they are worth:

Jim Leavitt
David Cutcliffe
Norm Chow (wants to HC a PAC-10 school)
Bud Foster

I'm hesitant about Chow - he has career assistant written all over him. With all the tremendous offenses he had at USC, there has to be a reason he hasn't gotten a HC gig by now. UCLA's performance the other night didn't really inspire either.

I'm hesitant about Chow - he has career assistant written all over him. With all the tremendous offenses he had at USC, there has to be a reason he hasn't gotten a HC gig by now. UCLA's performance the other night didn't really inspire either.

Agreed. He's the Brian Cabral of offense. He has also been pretty unimpressive at UCLA for a couple of years now, no way I want him at CU as HC. I'd be down to have him as OC, but not as HC.

I somewhat agree, but perhaps he has pidgin holed himself by being vocal about wanting to stay in the PAC-10 and preferably in SoCal? His time is running out and moving over to CU could be a good career move. Besides, between his stints in both college and NFL he must have some good connections to put together a reputable staff. I'm sure he can recruit. Even Hawk can recruit when it looks like we are putting together a winner....not so much as a LOSER.

Throwing out a couple other names for what they are worth:

Jim Leavitt
David Cutcliffe
Norm Chow (wants to HC a PAC-10 school)
Bud Foster

Leavitt, right or wrong, is probably too radioactive right now. esp for Boulder. from a football only perspective, Leavitt would be nifty hire.

Cutcliffe is at Duke, right? he seems like a "late-in-career, i got hosed at Ole Miss, found a niche and out to pasture" guy these days....coaching at an academic school, doing things the right way...etc. didn't he decline interest in an SEC job (Tenn?) recently.... No interest in Chow, for reasons already stated.

Cutcliffe is at Duke, right? he seems like a "late-in-career, i got hosed at Ole Miss, found a niche and out to pasture" guy these days....coaching at an academic school, doing things the right way...etc. didn't he decline interest in an SEC job (Tenn?) recently.... No interest in Chow, for reasons already stated.

I believe he did turn down the TN job, but have you ever been to Knoxville?? It's the hairy arm pit of Tennessee. He's a solid coach who knows how to recruit into a hard academic institution. But to be honest, he wouldn't be my first choice.

Back