What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Youth at Boise State

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
From Ringo on Twitter just now:

"Interesting fact: Boise State has only four seniors in its entire two-deep depth chart and one of them is the backup holder. Hmmm"

=========

I take 2 things from that:

1. Hawkins' recruiting sucked at Boise

2. Youth is not an excuse for CU's problems this year

From Ringo on Twitter just now:

"Interesting fact: Boise State has only four seniors in its entire two-deep depth chart and one of them is the backup holder. Hmmm"

=========

I take 2 things from that:

1. Hawkins' recruiting sucked at Boise

2. Youth is not an excuse for CU's problems this year

Not that I want to defend anything Hawkins related.

But that is the difference from playing the WAC. You can get away with that kind of stuff in the WAC, especially one of the top programs knowing you are going to be playing Utah State, New Mexico State, etc.

They have recruited really good talent there, but mostly it is all relative because they are in the WAC, but they can still produce high quality players (Legedu Naanee, Derek Schouman, Ian Johnson, Ryan Clady, and Orlando Scandrick were all "Hawk recruits").

Very few of those Boise State players would perform well day-in-day-out against the BIG XII, but Hawk seems dead-set on trying.

He needs to go back to the WAC where his system works.

Maybe Utah State would be a good fit for him and his lunchpail kids.

Scotty,

That was a great point. They had to get their young team up for one home night game to open the season. The opponent came out flat and they won 19-8.

Their lackluster performances against Fresno State, UC-Davis and Tulsa would have likely resulted in losses against good competition.

Boise State may not play the hardest schedule in the nation but they sure do have good coaching and they have stepped up and knocked off the big boys when they're put on the stage. They've played in numerious meaningful games since Hawks tenure here at CU, we've yet played in one unless you count the bowl game against Bama and last year's loss to NU.

While I agree that youth would work better in a weaker conference, I don't think we can say that Hawk recruited horribly. The facet of his coaching repertoire that I think is legit is his recruiting. He just hasn't developed it well while at CU...which makes you wonder who was developing talent while at Boise (Peterson to an extent, but I thought we took many of their assistants - Bandison, Pittman, Collins, etc).

As ScottyBuff says, he recruited some quality players, although I would also disagree that very few of those players would perform day in-day out in the Big 12. I thought the team with Clady, Johnson, etc. was pretty solid (the one that beat OU in the Fiesta).

Ringo's a douche and everything he reads and says needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

How many Seniors you have is not a valid argument debunking youth. They have a young, but (now) very experienced QB and their key players include many 3 and 4 year guys.

Youth was an excuse at CU last year and for a few games this on DEFENSE. Our offense has been the "main" problem lately and you got to look at Kiesau (great guy but had no business stepping from QB coach to OC), Johnson (Our O-Line should be much better than it is, youth is no longer an excuse), and ultimately the WR and Head Coach.

I like Kiesau and I think he'll be great in a few years. This was not a year that we could lose the OC and OL coach in the spring and recover, at least not without some serious coaching. I think Kiesau is learning on the job and Johnson may be re-learning after 8 or so years as a head coach. It all comes back to Hawkins and Bohn on this.

Back