What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CA DT Dontrell Onuahu (Signed to San Diego State)

Sexton Hardcastle

Club Member
Club Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN

La Quinta HS (La Quinta, CA)

Ht: 6-foot-2
Wt: 283 lbs
Forty: 5.05 secs
Bench max: 375 pounds

Rivals Rating: 3*
Scout Rating: 2* (OG)
ESPN Rating: not in database

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: '10 CA DT Dontrell Onuahu

Really under the radar. I was reading on Rivals where his HS coach said the 375 bench and 40 time are legit... and called him a "manchild". Supposedly the big issue with his slow recruitment is a lack of film, especially on defense. Kind of an interesting prospect.

Really under the radar. I was reading on Rivals where his HS coach said the 375 bench and 40 time are legit... and called him a "manchild". Supposedly the big issue with his slow recruitment is a lack of film, especially on defense. Kind of an interesting prospect.
It's only a matter of time before UCLA and Oregon offer now. :rolleyes:

Also might have something to with the fact that he is not exactly living a recruiting hotbed of California.

la quinta is in palm springs unless it's a different la quinta

You are correct. All the articles I've read online were in the Palm Spring newspaper. (btw, he might spell his name Onuohu or Onuoha and it's printed those ways sometimes if anyone is searching.)

You are correct. All the articles I've read online were in the Palm Spring newspaper. (btw, he might spell his name Onuohu and it's printed that way sometimes if anyone is searching.)

actually now i'm not sure, there's a la quints high in westminster whicg is in OC. i think that's probably it.

actually now i'm not sure, there's a la quints high in westminster whicg is in OC. i think that's probably it.
okay, this is the dumbest thread of all time but la quinta, ca is definitely palm springs. and that's where it says the school is, duh.

La Quinta High School-Blackhawks

La Quinta High School
79255 Westward Ho Drive
La Quinta CA 92253

ding ding ding!
West Coast is correct:
La Quinta is due EAST of Irvine, and a little southeast of Palm Springs.
It's pretty equally spaced between LA proper and San Diego.
Bonus trivia: this high school has had three players in the NFL.

Current # of students: 2951

Wikipedia:
La Quinta High School is one of four public high schools, grades 9-12, in the Desert Sands Unified School District (www.dsusd.us). It is located in the City of La Quinta in Riverside County, California, specifically in the Coachella Valley between Indian Wells and Indio.
Not to be confused with La Quinta High School (Westminster, California).

Should be visiting for the Nebraska game per Rivals. :thumbsup:

Rivals recently upgraded Dontrell to a 3* prospect. Scout's a bit behind on him (still looking at him as an OG instead of DT).

Last edited:

Dontrell is officially scheduled to visit the weekend of December 18th. :thumbsup:

He'd be a very nice addition to our DL class. He has the size and strength to play right away, but will probably need a lot of technique work to hold up against this level of competition. Still, a guy that can hold up at the point of attack who also has the athleticism to pursue sideline-to-sideline. I'm pretty enthusiastic about him and really see him as an under-recruited steal if we can land him.

Wish we could get him in on a visit while school was in session, but I am just happy we are getting him in period. We need DL recruits (at least five IMO) badly.

Wish we could get him in on a visit while school was in session, but I am just happy we are getting him in period. We need DL recruits (at least five IMO) badly.
Are we even in the top 3 of that many bcs Dl recruits?

Are we even in the top 3 of that many bcs Dl recruits?

We've really struggled with DL recruiting this year. Ridiculous number of offered prospects committed somewhere else (and committed early).

Here's my theory:

A bit of bad luck (always part of it). But, I think what's hurt us here relative to other positions we are recruiting is that we played 2 freshmen DEs and 2 freshmen DTs a ton this year. And they played well. Our other guys that were heavy in our DL rotation are all back next year and only 1 will be a senior (Herrod).

Usually a top prospect is only looking at a team that went 3-9 if there's playing time in the offering. Our young talent is probably working against us and we've been a more appealing destination for the type of prospects that have BCS talent but are lightly recruited because they're diamond in the rough types. Those guys aren't worried about the likelihood of redshirting.

We've really struggled with DL recruiting this year. Ridiculous number of offered prospects committed somewhere else (and committed early).

Here's my theory:

A bit of bad luck (always part of it). But, I think what's hurt us here relative to other positions we are recruiting is that we played 2 freshmen DEs and 2 freshmen DTs a ton this year. And they played well. Our other guys that were heavy in our DL rotation are all back next year and only 1 will be a senior (Herrod).

Usually a top prospect is only looking at a team that went 3-9 if there's playing time in the offering. Our young talent is probably working against us and we've been a more appealing destination for the type of prospects that have BCS talent but are lightly recruited because they're diamond in the rough types. Those guys aren't worried about the likelihood of redshirting.
bout what my thinking on this was. :doh:

There may be an issue getting him here for a visit. Dontrell's never been on a plane before and he may be uncomfortable going very far from home. San Diego State's a real possibility. Rumor on Aztec board is that he has decided to take his official to SDSU this weekend instead of to CU. Trying to learn more.

never been on a plane before....how did he think the team traveled to away games.....drive out and get this kid, we need DL real bad

The plane thing means to me that he may more comfortable going to college near home... not that he is afraid to fly or something.

Re: '10 CA DT Dontrell Onuahu (Committed to San Diego State)

Onuahu did, in fact, visit San Diego State instead of CU this weekend.

He committed to SDSU. Probably for the best, but we need d-linemen.

Last edited:

Onuahu did, in fact, visit San Diego State instead of CU this weekend.

He committed to SDSU. Probably for the best, but we need d-linemen.

We are losing recruits to san diego state now? Keep up the good work hawk :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Uh oh.....too negative in a recruiting thread. Put on a happy face for Danny....

I'm actually letting it go as long as it doesn't turn into people ripping on the program. I hope we can say that we're frustrated/pissed/disappointed without going there.

It sucks that we lost him, but sometimes guys just want to stay close to home. If that's the case, and I hope so, then good luck to this young man. If it's not, welp.

Back