What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO DT Tyler Strong (Signed to Wyoming)

Sexton Hardcastle

Club Member
Club Member
Rivals
MaxPreps
ESPN
44_TylerStrong.jpg

Niwot High School (Longmont, CO)

Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 268 lbs

Re: '10 CO DT Tyler Strong

HS coach (Tesone) played at CSU. Prefers Wyoming early. Will camp at CSU and UW this summer. Also talking to CU and NU. Plays LB in high school but projects as a DL in college (like Pericek). 4 year starter.

HS coach (Tesone) played at CSU. Prefers Wyoming early. Will camp at CSU and UW this summer. Also talking to CU and NU. Plays LB in high school but projects as a DL in college (like Pericek). 4 year starter.
He plays LB for Niwot? Wow. So he's got some speed huh?

newly committed to Wyoming says his sister who works in the CU athletic dept as a student.........

Re: '10 CO DT Tyler Strong (Committed to Wyoming)

Here's a kid I hope changes his mind. He'd be a good addition to our DL.

Is Chez the last person from Niwot that was a buff?

EDIT: Forgot about Jeremy Hauk's brief stint in Boulder as well. Any other cougars?

Here's a kid I hope changes his mind. He'd be a good addition to our DL.

Yeah, but it would be a tough thing culturally. I think he's found the right home with Wyoming. He's a cowboy type (wears boots to school).

Yeah, but it would be a tough thing culturally. I think he's found the right home with Wyoming. He's a cowboy type (wears boots to school).

If we are winning at home, and these local guys get to some games, you never know if they might catch a little Buff fever.

I would rather have other DTs.

Let's just say he ATE ALIVE a certain soon to be Husker lineman in Laramie early this summer...... This kid is way under the radar and don't let the lack of the scouting services fool ya on this guy. CU wants him real bad. Nebraska wants him and CSU wants him. I don't see him changing his mind though. He loves Laramie.

I know we're interested, but how can you say we want him "real bad" if we have not offered?

I don't know about that. Niwot is a small town, but it still is really close to Boulder. Also, every kid I met from Niwot while in college (which was a decent amount, including Ches) was NOT a farm boy. Some of them had some country ties, but they did not consider themselves country folk.

I agree with BB that I'd rather have other DTs. I wish this kid the best.

Boulder Camera Article

Wyoming right fit for Niwot's Strong

Cougars linebacker looks forward to senior season after committing early

By Joshua Lindenstein (Contact)
Sunday, July 19, 2009

BOULDER, Colo. — Roaming the halls of Niwot High, Tyler Strong is a bit of an anomaly.

Cowboy boots and Wranglers, after all, aren't exactly standard garb at the school that's tucked in the upscale community on the southwestern edge of Longmont. Instead of a hand-me-down Audi or BMW, Strong rolls up to school in the morning in his jacked up Dodge pickup.

And that's just the way he likes it, which is why his college choice is really no surprise.

I don't know about that. Niwot is a small town, but it still is really close to Boulder. Also, every kid I met from Niwot while in college (which was a decent amount, including Ches) was NOT a farm boy. Some of them had some country ties, but they did not consider themselves country folk.

I agree with BB that I'd rather have other DTs. I wish this kid the best.

Chez is ALL farm boy. He not only was raised on a ranch, he still helps run it. I am good friends with that family.

Yeah, I know his family has a ranch - but come on, I think it's a stretch to say that he is ALL farm boy. I didn't go, but from what I've heard from his good friends, his wedding in NYC was not a good-ole country get together. I am not friends with his family, but I would not say he is ALL farm boy. Yes, he has some country roots, but the assertion that kids from Niwot may not blend in well at Boulder is false in my opinion. Niwot isn't separated from cities as Sterling or other country towns.

Yeah, I know his family has a ranch - but come on, I think it's a stretch to say that he is ALL farm boy. I didn't go, but from what I've heard from his good friends, his wedding in NYC was not a good-ole country get together. I am not friends with his family, but I would not say he is ALL farm boy. Yes, he has some country roots, but the assertion that kids from Niwot may not blend in well at Boulder is false in my opinion. Niwot isn't separated from cities as Sterling or other country towns.

No it's not, and I am a Niwot guy as well. It's really just between Boulder and Longmont. I'm not sure where people think of Niwot as a big farming community. But ya, Chez is a farm guy. But most Niwot people are just normal Boulder or Longmont type people.

I think you guys missed the point. The article above says he's an anomaly at Niwot because he's about the only cowboy there....

Boulder Buff: First of all, just because you didn't read it on rivals doesn't make it so. Players themselves report to Rivals who they have offers from. Tyler isn't the self-promoting type and he got the one offer he wanted and cancelled everything else on his summer itinerary. CU likes this kid. I will say that it's not a slam dunk he would get into CU though.

I make it a point to watch the top HS kids who may end up at CU every year (Cunningham, Miller, etc). I live in Niwot, so I've seen this kid play since his freshmen year. The Cowboys grabbed this kid and had him cancel his invite to CU's camp.

This kid had my jaw dropping last night. Get over the cowboy thing kid and step up to the Big12 and see how good you can be! He's not 280, but he's a fit 260 it looks.

http://www.timescall.com/sports_story.asp?ID=17934

Strong is a pretty good piece to build around.

The 6-foot-3, 280-pound linebacker had multiple hits that made the crowd go “Ooh” Friday night, but none was bigger than his train-wreck collision with Wheat Ridge running back Austin Livingston in the third quarter.

After catching a dump-off pass at the line of scrimmage, Livingston turned right into a charging Strong — creating an explosion of sound that could be heard throughout Everly-Montgomery Field. Livingston’s helmet flew off on impact, but he bounced right back up unharmed.

Tesone said he’s never seen anything like it.

“I was just glad the kid was OK,” Tesone said. “Everybody saw it. He’s just has incredible power, and a lot of will to go with it.

Strong, who had 11 1/2 tackles and one sack Friday, committed this summer to play football at the University of Wyoming, where he’ll play defensive tackle. He said Colorado, Colorado State and Nebraska were all interested, but he jumped at the opportunity to be a Cowboy as soon as it was offered.

Barring injury, he’ll play nearly every down of every game at linebacker and running back.

“But Tyler Strong can make any new D-coordinator look good, that’s for sure.”

Last edited:

Denver Post:
http://www.denverpost.com/preps/ci_13275286

The Cougars, 7-4 and a playoff team last season, could only take solace in the 111 yards produced by running back Kelton Manzanares and a few devastating hits by Wyoming-bound linebacker Tyler Strong. The senior's signature hit occurred when he knocked the helmet off Wheat Ridge running back Austin Livingston on an attempted screen play.

"That felt good and got us a little fired up, and we started playing good 'D' then," Strong said. "They only scored one touchdown in the second half, so we did a lot better than that in the first."

Sounds like being called a 'Cowboy' is as important to him as playing football. Someone like that would probably not be very comfortable at Boulder. If he wanted big time football and a country feel, seems like NU would be a better fit, so I am good with him going to Wyoming.

sounds like being called a 'cowboy' is as important to him as playing football. Someone like that would probably not be very comfortable at boulder. If he wanted big time football and a country feel, seems like okie lite would be a better b12 fit, so i am good with him going to wyoming.

fify

Back