What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 JUCO C Guy-Marc Michel (Signed to Indiana)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN

gMichel.jpg

North Idaho CC (Coeur d'Alene, ID) / Hometown: Sainte Marie, Martinique

Ht: 7-foot-1
Wt: 265

Rivals rating: NR
Scout rating: NR
ESPN rating: NR

Here's the full scouting report done on Michel by Gonzaga's site on the BleacherReport (The Slipper Still Fits):

Scouting Report on 2010 Prospect Guy-Marc Michel
by Zach B on Dec 12, 2008 11:03 AM PST 0 comments

Last night, we had the opportunity to watch Guy-Marc Michel and his North Idaho College teammates play live at the MAC. While NIC was taking an incredibly over-matched opponent in the Community Colleges of Spokane, it was still a good chance to watch Guy-Marc closely and get a feel for the type of game he plays. In this game, Michel ended up with 10 points, 13 rebounds, and five blocked shots. We'll get another chance to watch Guy-Marc play on January 30th, when he will go one-on-one with fellow Gonzaga recruit, Daequon Montreal and the College of Southern Idaho.

Positives: The first thing that you notice when watching Guy-Marc is that he is very fluid for a 7'1 athlete. He runs the floor with ease, and I even it even looks like he is gliding when he runs the court. This was a pleasant surprise, as many guys his size tend to labor when they are forced to run the court. With the up-tempo system that Gonzaga employs, he would be able to get many easy baskets in transition. The area where Guy-Marc really thrives is on the defensive end of the court. He uses his great size and tremendous wing-span to guard every shot that is taken. He also possesses excellent timing on his shot-blocking which allows for him to deflect many shots that other players his size wouldn't. It is clear he is most comfortable on this end of the court, as he is very vocal with his teammates, and controls everything in the paint. Michel is also a fundamentally solid rebounder. Immediately after any shot goes up, he locates a body and boxes out the man. I believe that just based on his defensive ability, Guy-Marc could contribute solid minutes to the GU team this season.

Negatives: While there is no denying the tremendous force that Guy-Marc is on the defensive end, his offensive game is about as raw as I have seen. While he is vocal and confident with his teammates on the defensive side, Michel appears to be timid and doesn't demand the ball in the set offense. The NIC was frustrating to watch, because many times, Michel would only receive the ball at the top of the key, where he was clearly uncomfortable. The interesting aspect of Michel's offensive game is that he actually has a decent post game. There were two separate occasions where NIC was able to get Michel isolated with his back-to-the-basket, and both times he was able to finish with ease. I was most impressed by a beautiful baby hook he was able to score over his defender from the left block. It seemed that he could hit this shot any time he wanted, but instead he allowed himself to be a bystander in the NIC offense.

Conclusion: Click this Link for the Conclusion

A nice article on the North Idaho team from Slam Online:

Another big frontcourt presence for the Cardinals was center Guy-Marc Michel, hailing from Sainte Marie, Martinique. Standing at a lighthouse-like 7-1, Michel is lean and rangy, with a mile-long stride and a wingspan like a bald eagle. He can put the ball on the floor and hop-step to the rack all in one smooth maneuver; oddly graceful for someone so large. Rumor has it Gonzaga University (just half an hour west of Coeur d’ Alene, in Spokane) is holding Michel at NIC until he’s ready for a transfer to the big leagues. To my untrained eye, he has all the physical tools to be a big-time Division I center, though he seems a little raw on the offensive end. But what team couldn’t use an athletic seven-footer?

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/college/2009/11/a-basketball-story/

Michel's season stats (compiled by NJCAA):

Points Per Game: 7.13
Free Throw %: 66%
Field Goal %: 53%
3-Pt FG %: n/a
Rebounds Per Game: 7.27
Assists Per Game: 0.37
Blocks Per Game: 3.17
Turnovers Per Game: 1.3

As you can see, we're recruiting him as a rebounder and shot blocker. Athletic man in the middle who is very raw on the offensive end. But he does play an efficient offensive game, shooting a decent percentage from the field and the line. Frankly, if he pulls down over 7 rebounds and blocks over 3 shots per game, anything he gave us on offense would be pure gravy. We have plenty of scorers coming back next season.

Word is that Michel, not Aziz, is the JUCO Center from Idaho that CU has the better shot at landing. It's supposedly coming down to us and Gonzaga.

(P.S. I can't seem to find any information on how Michel did on France's U20 team. Rep to the first person who posts the info.)

he doesn't appear to be on any U20 france team in the past four years.

I found this link: Pay to Subscribe

Looks like he was on the France team. It was also mentioned in the articles (and his profile on the North Idaho basketball team web site). I'm pretty sure he was on their U20 team.

I found this link: Pay to Subscribe

Looks like he was on the France team. It was also mentioned in the articles (and his profile on the North Idaho basketball team web site). I'm pretty sure he was on their U20 team.

i went through france's division A rosters (they don't have division B) the last four years and he wasn't there. weird.

It's great to see that we're after another big aside from Loe and Ndiaye...we need to be on as many as we can. I'll take any of them...I don't care - we're desparate. Great find Buffnik.

stupid, stupid, STUPID admissions.

If rumors are true... and we lost out on any shot at Marcel or Aziz because CU Admissions wouldn't clear them... I don't know what to say. Bzdelik has run a clean program, the players are setting GPA marks for the program, Thorne and Crawford are graduating in 4 years, and we put 3 guys on the Big 12 All-Academic team. He's earned a little latitude, imo. Especially when we're talking about two guys who have been cleared by other universities (Gonzaga cleared Marcel... he's a good student who speaks 3 languages, no reason to think he can't succeed at CU).

CU ADMISSIONS NEEDS TO CUT SOME SLACK AND ****ING SUPPORT THE PROGRAM!!!

:lol: This is just sad. What else can you do besides laugh. This school will never learn.

I can't laugh at this considering not only how crucial the position is for this team next season, but also how important next season is for the program. NCAA or bust imo.

I can't laugh at this considering not only how crucial the position is for this team next season, but also how important next season is for the program. NCAA or bust imo.

The difference between you and the current administration is that you actually care about such things.

If rumors are true... and we lost out on any shot at Marcel or Aziz because CU Admissions wouldn't clear them... I don't know what to say. Bzdelik has run a clean program, the players are setting GPA marks for the program, Thorne and Crawford are graduating in 4 years, and we put 3 guys on the Big 12 All-Academic team. He's earned a little latitude, imo. Especially when we're talking about two guys who have been cleared by other universities (Gonzaga cleared Marcel... he's a good student who speaks 3 languages, no reason to think he can't succeed at CU).

CU ADMISSIONS NEEDS TO CUT SOME SLACK AND ****ING SUPPORT THE PROGRAM!!!

What is the source of the rumor? I keep seeing that Admissions has denied a couple of players reference in posts but don't know if it is true.

What is the source of the rumor? I keep seeing that Admissions has denied a couple of players reference in posts but don't know if it is true.
paysite. could be a rumor, but it wouldn't shock me if they weren't admitted considering our past experiences with jucos.

Yeah. Pay sites. I've seen at both Rivals and AZ's. Not sure where it originated or if the two are reporting independently of each other (could be that someone carried the rumor from one site to the other). But I have seen people who usually know what they are talking about agree that this is going on. It seems that CU has not denied admission, CU has just been slow as hell in making a determination.

Yeah. Pay sites. I've seen at both Rivals and AZ's. Not sure where it originated or if the two are reporting independently of each other (could be that someone carried the rumor from one site to the other). But I have seen people who usually know what they are talking about agree that this is going on. It seems that CU has not denied admission, CU has just been slow as hell in making a determination.

I heard both could get in school, but would have to do what both Mohler and Simmons did to get accepted, i.e. load up on summer courses.

Good news that he is visiting, hope it goes well. What I find a little ridiculous is even Duke got a juco, Aziz's teammate, Carrick Felix. I know they relax their academic requirements some for bball but it doesnt seem to smear their academic reputation any. Im not saying we should go Kstate with recruits but my goodness. Karma to Michel.

Exactly how big is our basketball recruiting budget? I mean, are there places around the globe that are off limits because of cost? Been watching post play alot in this tourney and there are post players from all over the damn world in college basketball. Alot from Africa, Austrailia, etc.. If we strike out on big men in the states, is going abroad our best bet? I know we have 2 Aussies and, hell, St. Mary's is team Austrailia. Of course, Im referring to the post players that still live in their home country, realize alot come over to play ball here even before college in some cases. Watching the St. Mary's game, they said their coaching staff was in Austrailia for 2 weeks and obviously they found some guys.

Exactly how big is our basketball recruiting budget? I mean, are there places around the globe that are off limits because of cost? Been watching post play alot in this tourney and there are post players from all over the damn world in college basketball. Alot from Africa, Austrailia, etc.. If we strike out on big men in the states, is going abroad our best bet? I know we have 2 Aussies and, hell, St. Mary's is team Austrailia. Of course, Im referring to the post players that still live in their home country, realize alot come over to play ball here even before college in some cases. Watching the St. Mary's game, they said their coaching staff was in Austrailia for 2 weeks and obviously they found some guys.
we are after a kiwi big man. hes supposedly pretty damn good and its looking like it will come down to us and arizona. his brother (or cousin?) is already there so it will be a tough fight.

Back