What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 JUCO SF Stephen Rogers (Signed to BYU)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN

878387.JPG

Mesa C.C. (Mesa, AZ) / Mountain View H.S. (Mesa, AZ)

3 years to play 3

AAU Team: Arizona Magic (during high school)

Ht: 6-foot-8
Wt: 185 lbs

Rivals rating: NR
Scout rating: NR (2006)
ESPN rating: not in database

Reported Offers: Utah, Utah State, Wichita State / originally Arizona State (committed in 2006)

Rogers originally committed to Arizona State out of high school in 2006. After redshirting a year, he went on a 2-year Morman mission. Upon returning, he played his RS-Freshman season at Mesa C.C., where he averaged 21 points and 7 rebounds. He is looking to transfer back to a D1 program. While CU has not offered yet, we are in contact with Rogers.

"It was a great season for me, I enjoyed it a lot," he said. "I was our Player of the Year, I earned first-team all-conference and all-region honors and I was the MVP of the conference tournament."

Rivals article

Rogers was known as a sharp shooting, face-the-basket PF out of high school. He played SF this year, though, and believes the height advantage he enjoys over most college 3s works for him.

Rogers was majoring in Business at Mesa C.C.

Here were his game stats this past season:

FT %: 81%
FG %: 49%
3-pt FG%: 40%
Rebs: 5.5
Assts: 1.5
Steals: 1.3
Blocks: 7.3
Turnovers: 2.6

http://njcaa.org/colleges_college_player.cfm?sid=4&collegeid=1246&category=Roster&slid=2&teamid=91916&athleteid=284899

That "Blocks" stat doesn't look right to me, but that's what was reported. Rivals reported 7 rebounds per game. Maybe "Blocks" and "Rebounds" got transposed on the NJCAA site. Even so, if he's anywhere close to 5-7 Blocks per game, this guy has some quick ups and great hand-eye coordination. Let's hope. Interesting prospect. We could definitely use a scorer from the "3" who can also play the "4" while giving us rebounds and blocked shots.

I'm not really that high on this kid, he seems just like Keegan.

I thought the same thing at first glance, but he's getting more respect as a scorer that Keegan did. Size wise he sounds a lot like Dufault when he first came here.

He actually fits the system very well.

While we need to improve the athleticism and toughness of our frontcourt (better rebounding, more blocked or altered shots, better post defense, better rotations), we can't forget our identity. We are one of the best shooting teams in the country from the field and the foul line. We are about offensive efficiency.

I like Rogers for CU. I say that with the stipulation that he's being recruited to play the 3, not the 4. As a SF, he gives us a rebounding and shot blocking advantage in addition to his offensive game.

As a 4, he becomes a defensive and rebounding liability in the same mold as what we saw in 2009-10. So if that's where they see him I'm opposed to going that direction.

A source close to the USU program reported that Rogers "can really score the basketball".

That's a good thing for him. Somebody who can really score the toaster oven wouldn't really be worth that much to anybody.... :rolling_eyes:

Back