What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CA DT Viliami Moala (Signed to Cal)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN

202626.jpg

Grant H.S. (Sacramento, CA)

Ht: 6-foot-2
Wt: 326 lbs
40: 5.2 secs

Rivals rating: 4*-5.8rr; #9 DT
Scout rating: 5*; #2 DT
ESPN rating: 4*-81 grade; #7 DT (#97 overall)

Reported Offers: Alabama, Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Florida, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Tennessee, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State, Fresno State, San Diego State

Cali High Sports' #10 prospect for 2011: http://www.calihighsports.com/articles/98

5ab09ebd_6292_de11_8e13_001cc494dda6_original.jpg

At 6'2 325 (and still growing) it would be hard to tell Moala apart from some NFL nose guards in a lineup. And Moala isn't just a big dude, he knows how to play and how to use his size to his advantage.

Moala is so quick that it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for him to see time at defensive end. He has great footwork and is overall a very solid, fundamental lineman and could be used at different positions along the line to wear down the whole offensive line.

Definitely a prospect that the new coaching staff needs to target on the DL.

US Army All-American.

Hopefully we land Tuiasosopo for the staff. That would help.

I would love to have a big, giant DT. Hope we can land him!

FWIW, Grant is one of the better teams in California (#58 in Rivals High School rankings). Several high-level Division 1 prospects too, including possible 5* junior Shaq Thompson.

I've seen this kid play, as I live in the Sacramento area. He could probably start day 1 for the Buffs and he isn't even the best player on Grant's squad. Shaq Thompson is. His borther Syd'Quan of course plays for the Broncos and played collegiately at Cal. I saw a game against Folsom HS to start the season (they since lost to Folsom in the playoffs) and Shaq rushed for 100 yds and a TD, caught one, threw one, and also had an interception. It was one of the most brilliant games i've ever seen a HS player have.

FWIW, Grant is one of the better teams in California (#58 in Rivals High School rankings). Several high-level Division 1 prospects too, including possible 5* junior Shaq Thompson.

Definitely a good pipeline to get going. Their most famous alumni are probably Donte Stallworth and Onterrio Smith but they've had a ton of other high level prospects who had reasonable success at BCS programs too. And it seems like they're even managing to improve as a program. Shaq would be an awesome get for 2012, although not sure whether he is projecting as a DB or RB in college?

Definitely a good pipeline to get going. Their most famous alumni are probably Donte Stallworth and Onterrio Smith but they've had a ton of other high level prospects who had reasonable success at BCS programs too. And it seems like they're even managing to improve as a program. Shaq would be an awesome get for 2012, although not sure whether he is projecting as a DB or RB in college?

I think he could be elite at either.

Can we please try to keep this thread about recruiting and Moala?

Is anyone from CU trying to get him... or is this just wishful thinking?

Is anyone from CU trying to get him... or is this just wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking. I pulled Cali High's Top 25, saw that Moala is uncommitted, know he's got a Poly background, saw that Arizona (Tui) had offered, and that USC was where he'd been leaning but they've already accepted pledges from two DTs.

Basically, it's a great fit and I would expect Tui to make a play for him. But I don't know anything.

Moala-bonsu up the middle with uzo-diribe-west on the outside would look nice.

I've seen this kid play, as I live in the Sacramento area. He could probably start day 1 for the Buffs and he isn't even the best player on Grant's squad. Shaq Thompson is. His borther Syd'Quan of course plays for the Broncos and played collegiately at Cal. I saw a game against Folsom HS to start the season (they since lost to Folsom in the playoffs) and Shaq rushed for 100 yds and a TD, caught one, threw one, and also had an interception. It was one of the most brilliant games i've ever seen a HS player have.

does Shaq have any interest in Colorado since his bro plays right down the street?

does Shaq have any interest in Colorado since his bro plays right down the street?

I think it depends on if we give him any reason to be interested? Tedford's steady as they come but that fan-base is getting restless. I don't think it's a slamdunk that Shaq or Moala goes down I-80 to play for the Bears. Once again, this is our primary recruiting ground and Grant is one of the top teams in the nation, not only the country. Embree has to hit some of these NorCal grounds hard and start making inroads. I don't think it would be a hard sell to get some of these foothill kids out to Colorado. Besides, they have Southwest/Frontier flying out of S.I.A. now so it's just a quick jump over the rockies and into Boulder.

I think it depends on if we give him any reason to be interested? Tedford's steady as they come but that fan-base is getting restless. I don't think it's a slamdunk that Shaq or Moala goes down I-80 to play for the Bears. Once again, this is our primary recruiting ground and Grant is one of the top teams in the nation, not only the country. Embree has to hit some of these NorCal grounds hard and start making inroads. I don't think it would be a hard sell to get some of these foothill kids out to Colorado. Besides, they have Southwest/Frontier flying out of S.I.A. now so it's just a quick jump over the rockies and into Boulder.
And when CU plays at Cal it's right near SF.

Um, with this staff and their connections, it should be a no-brainer that they are after him. Please tell me this staff gets the importance of a great DL.

Back