What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 TNFR S Vlad Emilien (Signed to Toledo)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
Michigan Profile

713991.jpg

Plantation HS (Lauderhill, FL) / University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)

2009 Recruiting Class / True Sophomore w/ 3 years to play 2 or RS-Freshan w/ 3 years to play 3

Ht: 6-foot-1
Wt: 204 lbs
40: 4.5 secs

Rivals rating (2009): 4*-5.8rr; #14 S
Scout rating (2009): 3*; #42 S
ESPN rating (2009): 4*-80 grade; #21 S

Reported Offers (2009): Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, South Florida, Stanford, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Wisconsin

Vlad decided to transfer from Michigan after seeing time as a freshman (5 games) and the first game of this season (2nd string). There may be some concern about a knee injury that kept him out his senior year of high school. One Michigan blog questioned whether he had lost a step, but that came out after he announced his transfer so take it fwiw.

Good news for the Buffs, though. Scout is reporting that Vlad "Hit Man" Emilien will be visiting the Buffs this weekend for the Baylor game:

"I will be going to Colorado this weekend, and I'm pretty pumped up about it," Emilien said. "I'm kind of nervous about it really, and I'm hoping things work out. I've heard great things about the school, and I know they have a great football tradition at Colorado. It's far from home, but just like when I went to Michigan, that's what I want."

The article goes on to talk about the potential for petitioning the NCAA to allow 2010 to be his redshirt season since he only played a few downs. Great article and we should be fired up about this one. Read more at Scout.

Yikes. We want a player that was beaten out by a frosh on a mediocre Michigan team? I'm sick of seeing things through rosy glasses.

Yikes. We want a player that was beaten out by a frosh on a mediocre Michigan team? I'm sick of seeing things through rosy glasses.

Walk, I can see why you'd jump to that conclusion and I had a similar concern. Without completely divulging premium content from the Scout board, I can tell you that it wasn't an issue of talent, work ethic, academics or anything else with Vlad at Michigan. Much like Toney Clemons, he just didn't fit the system as the coaching philosophy went to small, quick safeties. Remember, same thing happened with class of 2008 safety Brandon Smith who they tried to move to linebacker and lost to transfer last year.

If he's a true sophomore then I don't know if he and Clemons ever crossed paths. Clemons was at CU sitting out his transfer year last year when Vlad was a true frosh at Michigan. Maybe they got to know eachother during his recruitment.

If he's a true sophomore then I don't know if he and Clemons ever crossed paths. Clemons was at CU sitting out his transfer year last year when Vlad was a true frosh at Michigan. Maybe they got to know eachother during his recruitment.

Vlad was an early enrollee, so they would have been together for spring ball iirc.

I'm a big Michigan fan (went to grad school there) and Vlad struggled to get on the field, especially after his injury. Allegedly his speed was the issue, but as this season has amply demonstrated, you can never have enough depth in the secondary.

It's going to be a perfect day in Boulder tomorrow, can't wait to get up there. I hope the Buffs beat Baylor and Vlad commits while he's here.

I think he may be like some of the other kids that have committed. Who knows who we will keep once the change happens. Whether it is next week, after OU or after NU, we are going to have a class that is going to be a work in progress with a ton of change between now and Feb. It will all depend on who is the next coach and how well they can sell themselves on turning things around. We might as well get ready for it because the change is going to happen.

how much eligibility will he have left and can he play next year considering he played in one game this year?

If the few plays he was in for Michigan's first game count as a season, then he will redshirt in 2011 and then have 2 years of eligibility left.

If the few plays he was in for Michigan's first game are waived by the NCAA, then 2010 will count as a redshirt year and he will have 3 years of eligibility left (and be able to play in 2011).

Colorado will be petitioning the NCAA on his behalf to let 2010 count as Vlad's redshirt transfer year. What I think would be fair would be if he had to sit out the CSU game next year. Vlad plans on enrolling in January (assuming Ashley Ambrose is still employed as our DB coach).

Adam Munsterteiger's tweet from yesterday:
Former four-star recruit and Michigan DB Vlad Emilien plans to enroll at CU in January as long as DB Coach Ashley Ambrose is still on staff.

Scout: Emilien Commits to Buffs
"I have committed to Colorado," Emilien stated. "I visited there last weekend and I loved it. I've known (assistant coach) Ashley Ambrose since I was in high school, and he's the main reason I committed."

Rivals: Emilien Commits to Ambrose
"I told Coach Ambrose I will come," he added. "I am talking to my mom about the whole situation. But I gave them a verbal commitment. … I committed there so we'll see how the situation plays out there. I am just making that Coach Ambrose will still be there in January."

I'm a big Michigan fan (went to grad school there) and Vlad struggled to get on the field, especially after his injury. Allegedly his speed was the issue, but as this season has amply demonstrated, you can never have enough depth in the secondary.

Scout lists 15 Safeties (for 2010) even without a single commit at the position this year. Logjams like that can prove to be an impenetrable barrier to an athlete coming back from injury. I notice that his 2009 recruiting class included 5 Safeties (he was the highest ranked by a narrow margin), and the 2010 class had 4 Safeties, including two 4-stars.

Criticism of players tends to fall into a mode of reflexive logic -- he's not playing/ergo/he must be deficient. What appears to have happened from my distant perspective is that MU has a boatload of Ss and some of those very well could have overtaken him during his injury recuperation. It's hardly a knock on Emilien, especially with that much talent at the position, and it becomes hard to prove himself as worthy once again if he isn't on the field -- a Catch-22.

Back