What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA SG Gabe York (Signed to Arizona)

dyemeduke

Rivals
Scout
ESPN
247Sports

210934.jpg

Lutheran H.S. (Orange, CA)

AAU: Compton Magic

Ht: 6-foot-2
Wt: 170 lbs

Rivals rating: 4*; #11 SG (#46 overall)
Scout rating: 4*; #15 SG (#82 overall)
ESPN rating: 4*-93 grade; #12 SG (#65 overall)
247 rating: 4*-97 rating; #7 SG (#30 overall)

Reported Offers: Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, California, Connecticut, Marquette, Miami (FL), Oklahoma, Oregon State, Stanford, USC, Washington, Washington State

Sorry to all the mods for my new threads that aren't your format...

Anyway, this kid is sick. He's currently a four star out of CA, but I wouldn't it put it past him to be a five star at the end of his senior season. Watching film, he attacks the rim hard, shoots really well, and is pretty athletic. I haven't seen him pass or dribble all that great, but that's not to say he can't.

It will be tough to beat out schools like AZ for him. However, Cain was a teammate of his on Compton Magic, and CO has definitely reached out to him. This could be Boyle's first big time recruit...

I don't think he's good enough to be one-and-done, so this could be a very good get.

Last edited by a moderator:
lets get him, Chris Thomas and a couple of 5 star bigs and win a national championship

lets get him, Chris Thomas and a couple of 5 star bigs and win a national championship

:smile2: ...alright, fine, yes I am drinking some optimistic kool aid here. However, to be honest, CU can't be afraid to recruit against the big boys for some of these kids, and I don't think Boyle is. Yes, we have to focus on some players that we think we have a more realistic shot at, but we can't JUST go after top mid-major type players. We have to attack and go after kids that other big time programs are going for.

I don't think we're landing Daniels later this year, and I think York is likely headed to a top Pac 12 school (AZ or UCLA). Thomas...who knows...he's too young to project...but Boyle still needs to go after these kids. He already has made the initial contact it seems, so I hope he keeps the heat up. However, nothing will sell a bball kid more than on-court performance.

Correct me if I am wrong, Bz only went after players that he thought he had a good chance at getting, as did Patton (although patton was a better recruiter). But with Boyle he is going after the best talent he can, within reason. I think this will really benifit in the long term. Yes we may not be getting them this year, or maybe not even next, but our name is out there as someone who is trying to recruit these kids. Sooner or later we will attract a big name guy, and then it will all be worthwhile. Just my opinion.

dyemeduke,

Thanks for getting this one started!

I edited in the standard info to your original post.

It goes without saying that it would be a major recruiting coup for CU if we could sign York next year.

Some videos:

[video=youtube;kw5HyweDe8o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw5HyweDe8o[/video]

[video=youtube;ws35HzvtveE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws35HzvtveE[/video]

[video=youtube;T4Bo13jyWpo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Bo13jyWpo[/video]

dyemeduke,

Thanks for getting this one started!

I edited in the standard info to your original post.

It goes without saying that it would be a major recruiting coup for CU if we could sign York next year.

coup as in we dont have a chance in hell... or a coup because we actually could get him and it would shock the world

bcs - we have a hard fight to pull him away from AZ or another school, but we're on his list. Recruiting is all that - get your name out there, and make the kid fall in love with your program. Hopefully Cain and him have some friendship too, and he's probably familiar with Dinwiddie as well.

GoBuffs - you're more or less right on Bz, but wrong on RP. Bz did go after Wesley Witherspoon, but something happened - rumors out there that Bz quickly cooled off on the kid; not that we had a real shot at prying him away from Memphis. Bz found hidden prospects, and in my opinion did a great job...just sucked with getting bigs. RP though...I'm not sure how he recruited. He got Chaunc, and that made sense. Then RP took over the program, and he seriously almost landed Q Richardson. He went hard after Larry O'Bannon, and he went after the Harrison brothers. I know some people didn't like him, but Winston was a solid prospect from the Midwest. Pelle and Mosely were also good prospects out of CA. RP went everywhere and anywhere...he also went after duds too (Fox, etc)...I didn't get him.

Recruiting is a balance of going after top talent and who you think you can get. I think our football program, due to its past success and the clout our staff has on the recruiting trail, will go after top talent. Boyle will have to balance both. He isn't going to go after top tier talent, because that's going to be a hard fight...but then again... This kid is the first kid that Boyle has gone after that I think may end up being a top tier talent at the conclusion of his SR season. We're helped in a few ways. One, (I'm not a HUGE recruiting freak, but I do follow recruiting) I haven't heard of York until now. That just means that during his soph year, he wasn't getting tons of love nationally. He hasn't been the type of top talent that top coaches have been drooling over for years - ie his head shouldn't be TOO big. We're on him early and showing him love. We signed his AAU teammate. He's an offensive player, and we play a fast offense. We're joining the Pac10, but are removed from CA...could help him. Anyway - as I've said earlier, I'm always drinking kool-aid when it comes to bball recruiting, but yes, it's best to temper these expectations this early in the process.

bcs - we have a hard fight to pull him away from AZ or another school, but we're on his list. Recruiting is all that - get your name out there, and make the kid fall in love with your program. Hopefully Cain and him have some friendship too, and he's probably familiar with Dinwiddie as well.

GoBuffs - you're more or less right on Bz, but wrong on RP. Bz did go after Wesley Witherspoon, but something happened - rumors out there that Bz quickly cooled off on the kid; not that we had a real shot at prying him away from Memphis. Bz found hidden prospects, and in my opinion did a great job...just sucked with getting bigs. RP though...I'm not sure how he recruited. He got Chaunc, and that made sense. Then RP took over the program, and he seriously almost landed Q Richardson. He went hard after Larry O'Bannon, and he went after the Harrison brothers. I know some people didn't like him, but Winston was a solid prospect from the Midwest. Pelle and Mosely were also good prospects out of CA. RP went everywhere and anywhere...he also went after duds too (Fox, etc)...I didn't get him.

Recruiting is a balance of going after top talent and who you think you can get. I think our football program, due to its past success and the clout our staff has on the recruiting trail, will go after top talent. Boyle will have to balance both. He isn't going to go after top tier talent, because that's going to be a hard fight...but then again... This kid is the first kid that Boyle has gone after that I think may end up being a top tier talent at the conclusion of his SR season. We're helped in a few ways. One, (I'm not a HUGE recruiting freak, but I do follow recruiting) I haven't heard of York until now. That just means that during his soph year, he wasn't getting tons of love nationally. He hasn't been the type of top talent that top coaches have been drooling over for years - ie his head shouldn't be TOO big. We're on him early and showing him love. We signed his AAU teammate. He's an offensive player, and we play a fast offense. We're joining the Pac10, but are removed from CA...could help him. Anyway - as I've said earlier, I'm always drinking kool-aid when it comes to bball recruiting, but yes, it's best to temper these expectations this early in the process.

thanks duke...

will be nice to have a shiny new practice facility that is on par with most BCS conference members. Also I think we will be able to compete right away in the 12 Pac next year in B-Ball - not a single team from the Pac 10 in the top 25 right now. The long term future looks bright for CU mens hoops.

for what it's worth, his recruiting has absolutely blown up. From a recent conversation he had with Coast 2 Coast Hoops, he mentions off the top of his head, Marquette, Washington, Notre Dame, Kansas, and UConn.
Here's another article.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6430255

So...basically, last year I got my hopes up on this kid, and it now looks really bleak. The more I watch this kid though, the more I like his game.

Back