What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 NE ILB Jake Schany (Signed to Ohio)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
247 Sports

i

Blair H.S. (Blair, NE)

Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 205 lbs
40: 4.7 secs

Rivals rating: 3*-5.5rr; unranked ILB
Scout rating: 2*; #73 MLB
ESPN rating: 3*-77 grade; #77 OLB
247s rating: 2*-72 rating; #102 ILB

Reported Offers: Colorado, Columbia, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Ohio, South Dakota State, Tulane

[video=youtube;ykqM-H1Is5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykqM-H1Is5M[/video]

[video=youtube;rszljDvkNOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rszljDvkNOA[/video]

Our old friend valdez (now a Rivals mod) reported over the weekend a CU offer to Schany. He has camped multiple times at CU, has a relationship with Cabral, and we are first in. Rare opportunity to get a D1 talent out of the Corn's back yard.

WOW! Kid looks great! Any tackle or contact he was always the lower man. He wraps up great and can get to the ball incredibly fast.

Maybe he doesn't care for the conferance the butthuskers joined? And yes, to take someone like this out of their own backyard would be kool!

Our old friend valdez (now a Rivals mod) reported over the weekend a CU offer to Schany. He has camped multiple times at CU, has a relationship with Cabral, and we are first in. Rare opportunity to get a D1 talent out of the Corn's back yard.

This guy would be a great get. NU only has 12 to give this year and the B10 has strict rules on oversigning. This guy will be 2nd best in the State this year and well worth a scholly.

they have recruited at another level (tops in the country) at LB recently. They may be hoping this kid will walk-on. He's a very good player, but probably on the bubble with NU offering. Depends on how much momentum they can take coming out of 2011.

Not slamming the offer at all. If there's one position coach that can find talent it's Cabral. But, it's odd that Iowa and Iowa State haven't offered as they go into Nebraska quite a bit.

they have recruited at another level (tops in the country) at LB recently. They may be hoping this kid will walk-on. He's a very good player, but probably on the bubble with NU offering. Depends on how much momentum they can take coming out of 2011.

I can't believe you made me do this (research nubs LB commits) but the following (from Rivals), while a strong list and one I'd be happy with, doesn't support your hypothesis of "tops," which would be all 4 and 5 star guys.

2012 offer: Michael Rose, 5.7 ***
2011 signees: Max Perman, 5.6 ***; David Santos, 5.8 ****;
2010 signees: Lavontte David, 5.9 ****;
2009 signees: Eric Martin, 5.7 ***; Chris Williams, 5.8 ****
2008 signees: Sean Fisher, 5.7 ***; Micah Kreikemeier, 5.2 **; Alonzo Whaley, 5.6 ***

Also, Scout has team recruiting rankings for the top 15 teams at positions, with these results for Nebraska at LB:
2011: not in the top 15
2010: not in the top 15
2009: tied for 4th
2008: not in the top 15

I can't believe you made me do this (research nubs LB commits) but the following (from Rivals), while a strong list and one I'd be happy with, doesn't support your hypothesis of "tops," which would be all 4 and 5 star guys.

2008 signees: Sean Fisher, 5.7 ***; Micah Kreikemeier, 5.2 **; Alonzo Whaley, 5.6 ***

Also, Scout has team recruiting rankings for the top 15 teams at positions, with these results for Nebraska at LB:

Careful what you say around these idots. They do research! :lol: nice post.

I don't think Cabral should be free of criticism. LB is one of our weaker units and we really only have one all-conf candidate in Major.

I don't think Cabral should be free of criticism. LB is one of our weaker units and we really only have one all-conf candidate in Major.

Fair point. I have been disappointed in LB play in recent seasons. Most of the issues have been talent-based.

Not that our LB corps has been blowing people out of the water recently, but I'd like to add that our subpar DL play has hurt our LB corps quite a bit imo. We have had some undersized LBers the last few years, which is ok, but only if we have a solid DL to eat up blocks.

I have been disappointed in Cabral's linebacker recruiting the last couple of years, though. Hopefully Major and Rippy tear it up this year. I do like the three we got in February, but during the Hawk years I wasn't overly impressed. I was pretty happy to see us move Harrington and Ahles to offense since that frees up more LB spots for new guys.

Cabral seemed rejuvenated in the beginning of the Hawk era. That seems to have worn off somewhat. I thought him and Tui would lock up Poly talent... it's been pretty quiet on that front so far tho

Cabral seemed rejuvenated in the beginning of the Hawk era. That seems to have worn off somewhat. I thought him and Tui would lock up Poly talent... it's been pretty quiet on that front so far tho

They did pretty good this last cycle. I will give them a full cycle to evaluate.

I wasn't suggesting the recruiting rankings had them #1, that was my assessment based on what these kids have done. I should have been more clear. They have 3 of the top LB's playing there right now as a team could want. They typically only play 2 at a time, always having an extra DB on the field.

Lavonte David is considered by many as the #1 LB in college right now. First Team All-American.

Sean Fisher played very well as a freshman in 2009 making the all Big12 freshman team and was seen as a leader of their Defense going into 2010, when he then broke his leg.

Will Compton also made the all Big12 Freshman team in 2009, and sat most of last year with a foot injury.

I wasn't suggesting the recruiting rankings had them #1, that was my assessment based on what these kids have done. I should have been more clear. They have 3 of the top LB's playing there right now as a team could want. They typically only play 2 at a time, always having an extra DB on the field.

Lavonte David is considered by many as the #1 LB in college right now. First Team All-American.

Sean Fisher played very well as a freshman in 2009 making the all Big12 freshman team and was seen as a leader of their Defense going into 2010, when he then broke his leg.

Will Compton also made the all Big12 Freshman team in 2009, and sat most of last year with a foot injury.

Fair enough. A quick google of top LBs show David anywhere from 4-6 on the three lists I found that cover all LBs nationwide. The rest are judgement calls at this point, especially coming off injuries, so I couldn't really argue either way.

Independent of the statistics you've pulled together, I'll stand by my initial point.

That being, this kid may be a big time player, even if he doesn't get a Nebraska offer.

There could be many reasons for this, including he doesn't fit Bo's system. But the point I made was he simply may not be good enough, and yet be a good player.

Bo Pelini has perhaps the best reputation out there right now for developing defensive players. Pelini doesn't get a lot of 4-5 star guys on defense, and it's debatable how badly he wants them. He goes after "his guys" and they are good players that fit his system. I think that's often a cliche, but more than any other coach right now, I think Pelini knows what "his guys" look like. His ability to get "his guys" has grown the last 3 years with success. I believe that Bo has a pretty compelling sales pitch right now to a defensive player and thus if Bo wants him, he has a good shot at him.

Last year he signed two LB's both of which he pursued very hard. He wanted this Pirman kid badly, even if he was just a lowly 5.6RR 3-star guy. The other, was a four-star and was wanted badly by everyone. He joined David, who was a 5.9 4-star the year before and all of these kids join 2 kids who were All Big12 freshman, who missed their SO years last year. Without looking up their Rival's rating, I'm going to guess Bo thought they were good players. They are in good shape at this position and I'm thinking Bo is in a position to be selective here.

So this kid may be someone Bo is interested in, but not yet ready to offer. Or he may NOT be getting any interest from Bo. We don't know what Bo wants and why. Last I checked, Rivals doesn't post "Bo's ratings". More than any other coach, I'd throw the Rivals Ratings out the door. He's got guys who can play and he's got guys he's recruiting that fit his system. This kid may or may not get an offer from Nebraska, but I'll trust Cabral with his own opinion.

Last edited:
So anyway, he looks like he has some speed, and a frame that could support some more weight. Hopefully he turns down those IVY offers and wants to play some big time football.

'holic, dude, not quite believing it I still gave you the judgement call... but I had no idea you had such a super-sized man-crush on Pelini. Yeah, he's a very good defensive coach but you've gotta seek treatment for that.

Well I hate the Huskers and I am in a running 9 year debate of Corn vs. Buffs with my good friend who is an Omaha native. So while I'd never admit it to him, Bo is a ridiculously good defensive coach. I'm still not sure he's a great Head Coach, or even a good one. And he's one incident away from being Woody Hayes.

Man crush aside, I usually put a lot more weight into "offers" than "stars" and normally, a Nebraska kid without a Nebraska offer would be a big red flag to me. In this case, it's only a small concern if the kid doesn't camp here. By camping here, Cabral get's all the time with him he wants and can assess everything from speed to toughness to coach-ability. If Cabral wants him, I'm good. Ditto that with Brown. They've been around the block a time or two and have each found NFL players where others didn't see D1 players.

Well I hate the Huskers and I am in a running 9 year debate of Corn vs. Buffs with my good friend who is an Omaha native. So while I'd never admit it to him, Bo is a ridiculously good defensive coach. I'm still not sure he's a great Head Coach, or even a good one. And he's one incident away from being Woody Hayes.

Man crush aside, I usually put a lot more weight into "offers" than "stars" and normally, a Nebraska kid without a Nebraska offer would be a big red flag to me. In this case, it's only a small concern if the kid doesn't camp here. By camping here, Cabral get's all the time with him he wants and can assess everything from speed to toughness to coach-ability. If Cabral wants him, I'm good. Ditto that with Brown. They've been around the block a time or two and have each found NFL players where others didn't see D1 players.

I agree with you. Another mitigating factor is that Nebraska is taking a very small class this year, so it's not a normal recruiting year for them where they can take an "A List" target at each position along with a high character/upside developmental player. They have to be much more targeted than we are this cycle.

Back