What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 WA S Ma'ne Manaea (Signed to Idaho)

honestly i don't like the idea of semi-pulling the offer after a guy has given us a commitment. I hope he was warned of the possibility up front, in which case all is well. Or to offer and then change to a greyshirt offer prior to a commitment is fine. But otherwise it sure isn't taking the high road, to say the least.
I'd say that, unless you know the facts and the facts say otherwise, you should not question this.

honestly i don't like the idea of semi-pulling the offer after a guy has given us a commitment. I hope he was warned of the possibility up front, in which case all is well. Or to offer and then change to a greyshirt offer prior to a commitment is fine. But otherwise it sure isn't taking the high road, to say the least.

Manaea had made it pretty clear in all his interviews that he wasn't the firmest of commitments, was listening, and might be very open to it if a team from the Pacific Northwest stepped up with an offer. Two-way street.

Manaea had made it pretty clear in all his interviews that he wasn't the firmest of commitments, was listening, and might be very open to it if a team from the Pacific Northwest stepped up with an offer. Two-way street.
That to me is a great point. If the kids orally commit but are openly looking at other schools and even take OVs elsewhere than I say all is fair in love and war. If the kid has his bags packed, changed his cell # so no coaches from other schools could try to poach him, got a tattoo of a buffalo than we'd better be all in regardless of who comes after.

That to me is a great point. If the kids orally commit but are openly looking at other schools and even take OVs elsewhere than I say all is fair in love and war. If the kid has his bags packed, changed his cell # so no coaches from other schools could try to poach him, got a tattoo of a buffalo than we'd better be all in regardless of who comes after.

Wow, you got to get a tat of a buffalo to be considered solid? you are tough, though it is a good idea :)

If he takes a OV elsewhere after "committing" then I am totally with you guys. I always like Barnett's way of handling that kind of "commitment".

Maybe embree should ask some other commits to do the same. Unless we are going to replace him with another 2 star who somehow slipped by all the top BCS coaches..:rolling_eyes:

Like some have said already, considering this kids concussion issues, this might be a great thing for him. That said, I doubt the kid wants to hear that right now and I can't really blame him.

Like some have said already, considering this kids concussion issues, this might be a great thing for him. That said, I doubt the kid wants to hear that right now and I can't really blame him.

Were his concussion issues ever documented? I heard it here but was it a credible and factual or speculation?

Wow, you got to get a tat of a buffalo to be considered solid? you are tough, though it is a good idea :)

If he takes a OV elsewhere after "committing" then I am totally with you guys. I always like Barnett's way of handling that kind of "commitment".

My recollection of the way Barnett handled that was that he pulled the offer completely. That is not something I agree with, and doesn't appear to be the case here.

Maybe embree should ask some other commits to do the same. Unless we are going to replace him with another 2 star who somehow slipped by all the top BCS coaches..:rolling_eyes:
Not trashing the kid but I would prefer both Bruce and Soloman over him if we are in on those two.

My recollection of the way Barnett handled that was that he pulled the offer completely. That is not something I agree with, and doesn't appear to be the case here.

That's not how I remember it. I believe he just no longer considered it a commitment, i.e. if you are still looking and open, so are we. So if someone else commits and fills your spot, then we pull your offer.

I wonder if the Buffs have - for lack of a better term - a silent commit from a player they like better, or if they're simply getting cold feet on Manaea.

I wonder if the Buffs have - for lack of a better term - a silent commit from a player they like better, or if they're simply getting cold feet on Manaea.

Or a third option, they like Ma'ne but are simply running out of room and think they will get some other players who they like better. As a result they are trying to figure out a way to fit him in without losing other players.

With his concussion situation and the fact that he isn't completely solid they have to make some hard decisions. I hope that a solution can be found that works for both Ma'ne and the Buffs and want him as part of the team but decisions have to be made.

As others here have posted if he had made it clear that he was a solid Buff, not open to other offers, book closed then things might be different. The fact that he has apparently still been willing to listen to other schools means that the Buffs have a right to be open to other players as well.

Or a third option, they like Ma'ne but are simply running out of room and think they will get some other players who they like better. As a result they are trying to figure out a way to fit him in without losing other players.

With his concussion situation and the fact that he isn't completely solid they have to make some hard decisions. I hope that a solution can be found that works for both Ma'ne and the Buffs and want him as part of the team but decisions have to be made.

As others here have posted if he had made it clear that he was a solid Buff, not open to other offers, book closed then things might be different. The fact that he has apparently still been willing to listen to other schools means that the Buffs have a right to be open to other players as well.

Then this staff needs to be sure they have other db's who are going to commit. The DB and OL is plain awful.

Then this staff needs to be sure they have other db's who are going to commit. The DB and OL is plain awful.
Do you really think the staff would ask a kid to gray shirt for no reason when he's already committed without knowledge of a high level prospect about to commit?

Do you really think the staff would ask a kid to gray shirt for no reason when he's already committed without knowledge of a high level prospect about to commit?

Could be, I'm not sure, are you?

Last edited:
I do not think our staff would give him an offer if we didn't want him. I also do not think they would ask him to greyshirt "for no reason". I think that the staff cares about Ma'ne's future just as much as the football team's needs and think it is best for him (medically, athletically, and academically) to greyshirt.

I'm sure there's a reason, I just hope it a good reason. I wonder if we have a few silent 4* commitments that the staff would like to keep silent so the arseholes at the recruiting sites dont drop down to 3 stars like they did Dillon. I hope that's the reason they are thinking of grey-shirting him.

I do not think our staff would give him an offer if we didn't want him. I also do not think they would ask him to greyshirt "for no reason". I think that the staff cares about Ma'ne's future just as much as the football team's needs and think it is best for him (medically, athletically, and academically) to greyshirt.

mmm, probably true, but if that is all there is too it why wasn't the greyshirt on the table from the beginning? why switch towards the end?

can not blame the kid for looking around if you are being told to grey shirt. I just hope the coaches are on to someone or we might miss out

can not blame the kid for looking around if you are being told to grey shirt. I just hope the coaches are on to someone or we might miss out
Are you ****ing serious? Do you really think the coaches would ask a kid to grayshirt for no ****ing reason at all?

how many times have you posted the same thing?
As many times as people have wondered if the staff is just doing this because they ****ing want to.

And yes syko I'm 100% certain the staff is doing this because we have someone better.

Makes solid sense. To be fair, should mention that people with an AZ sub should see the article he just posted on this situmacation.

Could you direct me to the article? I searched the internet and didn't find anything but am be interested in what he said in response to questions because I can tell you he isn't talking unless asked, that's just not who he is. Ma'ne looking at other schools only came after his offer shifted due to the gray shirt situation. No doubt he felt the ground shift from under him at that moment. He's a great kid, he took his commitment seriously. Sometimes this is how recruiting goes... nothing is solid until LOI day and it can shift on either side. I was really hoping to see him on that beautiful field in Boulder... OK, that's my random quota of comments for the day! I'll go back to my corner. :rolling_eyes:

Could you direct me to the article? I searched the internet and didn't find anything but am be interested in what he said in response to questions because I can tell you he isn't talking unless asked, that's just not who he is. Ma'ne looking at other schools only came after his offer shifted due to the gray shirt situation. No doubt he felt the ground shift from under him at that moment. He's a great kid, he took his commitment seriously. Sometimes this is how recruiting goes... nothing is solid until LOI day and it can shift on either side. I was really hoping to see him on that beautiful field in Boulder... OK, that's my random quota of comments for the day! I'll go back to my corner. :rolling_eyes:
www.buffscoop.com - sorry, premium content so I can't divulge. I am sorry if you thought I was being negative towards the kid, i'm not. I really wanted him. Hope he lands somewhere good for him.

Back