What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CO OT Dan Skipper (Verbal to Arkansas)

Skipper grew up a fan of the "bigger football schools", as he put it, like Notre Dame, Texas and Oklahoma. He was mainly a fan of the Irish. He is hearing from all three of those schools. In fact, he will be taking an unofficial to Norman in early March.

He says he followed CU growing-up but wasn't a fan of them like the other schools. Skipper likes the Buffs but has no current favorites.
http://buffscoop.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15721

I'm pretty sure that as much as we've sucked, ND has been just as bad, if not worse.

We need to close the deal now before the Irish, and Oklahoma get involved.
ship.jpg

In proportion, yes.

That still doesn't mean anything. They may not be competing for MNCs, but they've been bowling recently while we've won 3-5 games/year for the past 6 years. ND will always be relevant in CFB not because of their record, but because of the hype and history.

That still doesn't mean anything. They may not be competing for MNCs, but they've been bowling recently while we've won 3-5 games/year for the past 6 years. ND will always be relevant in CFB not because of their record, but because of the hype and history.

True but they've done less with more than any team in CFB the last several years.

True but they've done less with more than any team in CFB the last several years.

But have they? They recruit very highly, but ND has sent very few players to the NFL. They don't have as much NFL caliber talent as Rivals would love ND fans to think.

But have they? They recruit very highly, but ND has sent very few players to the NFL. They don't have as much NFL caliber talent as Rivals would love ND fans to think.

Is that coaching or Randy Shannon type recruiting?

Coaching. Going back to Willingham in 2002, which is the time frame for Skipper to have watched them, ND has a 57% winning %. Add Davies to that to get to 1997, and you're still at ~57%. ND has some mystical appeal to some people, it's definitely not based on the product on the field, and I think that was the original point.

I think doing less with more has to go to Texas. Seems like they are an automatic top 5 recruiting class yearly. They've been to two title games, winning one, but they should be getting to that point more often than they have. ND is not the same talented squad as years past, they were freaking loaded back in the 2 Orange Bowl games. They might get back in the upper echelon but I dont see them ever being what they were.

How do you make an all-star team go 5-7 then 7-5?

Put Texas on the front of their jerseys.

Notre Dame and Texas both have strong arguments for doing the least with the most. Loads of reported 4* and 5* talent, huge money behind the programs, facilities, their own TV networks, etc. and still sadly underperform.

You have to ask how many of the players are 4*/5* guys going to the schools and how many are 4*/5* because they decided to go to the schools and the fan bases are willing to pay big money to have somebody tell them how good they are.

Some of it may also be that these guys are highy rated because they develop early and dominate HS and don't get much better once in college.

Bottom line, for a player like Dan Skipper going to ND instantly makes him just another guy. Go to a school like CU being a homestate guy he has a chance to become "the" guy, play earlier, get the attention, and be part of bringing the program back to a high level of success.

Trying to get any high level recruit to think he'll be "just another guy" at a school like Notre Dame is impossible. Most of these guys believe they are just a few years away from playing on Sundays. All schools will tell a kid they have a chance to play early. It's likely that the kid is thinking "I'd star at CU or ND, but my friends will think it is so awesome if I go to ND!"

Notre Dame and Texas both have strong arguments for doing the least with the most. Loads of reported 4* and 5* talent, huge money behind the programs, facilities, their own TV networks, etc. and still sadly underperform.

The NFL will still draft guys based on measureables though, even if they don't dominate the college ranks. This is where ND fails. Texas has had a lot of good DL go to the league, even on bad teams. ND hasn't sent very many (haven't checked those facts) people at all to the league.

Let's face it: if the ND admin wanted to have a top team they could, but they refuse to let in guys that are academically questionable. They did during the Holtz' years, but won't anymore. That's a big reason why Meyer never went there and ended up at UF instead. We question our admin, but if we were ND (*gag* I know), we'd be even more upset with our admin than we are now.

The NFL will still draft guys based on measureables though, even if they don't dominate the college ranks. This is where ND fails. Texas has had a lot of good DL go to the league, even on bad teams. ND hasn't sent very many (haven't checked those facts) people at all to the league.

Let's face it: if the ND admin wanted to have a top team they could, but they refuse to let in guys that are academically questionable. They did during the Holtz' years, but won't anymore. That's a big reason why Meyer never went there and ended up at UF instead. We question our admin, but if we were ND (*gag* I know), we'd be even more upset with our admin than we are now.

I checked just these two, because it's easy, maybe there's a different link that shows and ranks quantities, but I got this here.

Texas has graduated 51 players into the league, Ohio St 47, Oklahoma 32, Notre Dame 30, CU 16 for comparison. That's a pretty sizable number, enough to refute your point.

Last edited:
Surprised the article didn't mention Solder when discussing tall players.

Don't know if I like the way his recuiting is going. With every offer I feel it turns more into a O'Connor, Thurston, Kozan situation.

He has better offers for academics: Duke, Vandy
Offers for better conferences: Missouri, Vandy
Places with better weather and girls: Arizona State

So what makes him stay in Colorado unless we start improving on the field or he desperately wants to stay in state.
He has already been offered by

Arizona State
Colorado
Colorado State
Duke
Missouri
Oregon State
Utah
Vanderbilt
Washington State
Wyoming

Not long before the big dogs start offering IMO a Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, Stanford type. Then I think were screwed. Hate to be negative but what are you guys thinking on this one.

I would be VERY surprised if he got any of those offers.

And Arizona doesn't have better weather. 110 damn near every day in the summer blows.

No offense, but have you been to Arizona? It's hot as ****. I guess the weather in the winter is alright, if you're 60+.

Either way, I'm really not overly enthralled with him as a prospect due to his height. If he can shrink a few inches I might change my mind.

He wasn't at our JR day either. I don't think he is that interested in us anyway (Yes, he could have had other obligations for JR day)

Back