What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CO OT Dan Skipper (Verbal to Arkansas)

Quick is an understatement -- I hadn't even said anything yet!

Good luck with Skipper, and as I said, I'm pulling for Dooley to succeed. He's one of the good guys in the SEC coaching scene. Looks like you guys are facing the uphill climb that we are to get back to our respective traditional success. Been to Knoxville a few times. Wonderful facilities.

Dooley seems to be a great person, he represents our University the right way & is a great speaker. He has a funny/sarcastic side to him to that is hilarious to watch/listen during press conference & interviews. I really hope he can get things turned around for us this season, wouldn't mind for him to stick around.

There is a difference in making a mess like Hawkins & inheriting a mess like Dooley did.

In general, I think most of us are aware of the problems at the end of the Fulmer run and the Kiffin fiasco. Replacing all of your assistants in year three is usually a bad sign, but you know your program better than us.

Congrats to Dan and the Vols.

Not to sound like sour grapes or anything, but I did just hear through the grapevine that not only are there concerns about Skippers height, but there is also some question of his drive and desire, and that he may take plays off from time to time. That isn't from CU, but rather from some friend of a friend type folks whose kids play with him. Take it with a grain of salt.

The drive & desire thing could me a maturity issue, things like that can change with maturity.

Guys, play nice. jmoore's been nothing but cool. And it's not like Tennessee is even on the schedule the next decade unless we both get our acts together and meet in a bowl.

It's good to get another perspective.

In general, I think most of us are aware of the problems at the end of the Fulmer run and the Kiffin fiasco. Replacing all of your assistants in year three is usually a bad sign, but you know your program better than us.

When Dooley arrived our roster was a MESS, it has took him 2 1/2 years to rebuild it to about 85%. He needs 1 more good recruiting class to fully re-stock the roster. The class Kiffin brought in was a BUST & really set us back. It was like Dooley inherited a program that had been on probation, it was that bad.

The assistants thing wasn't/isn't as bad as the public percieves it to be. A lot of them left for various reasons.

Yeah. Tennessee probably hung onto Fulmer too long. So much pressure from people loyal to him (loyalty for good reason), but everyone could see the writing on the wall that the magic was gone and wasn't coming back. Kiffin was just a bad hire who quickly showed his true colors.

Throw in the cheat they had coaching the basketball team and then the Pat Summit tragic news. It's been a really tough run for the Vols.

Guys, play nice. jmoore's been nothing but cool. And it's not like Tennessee is even on the schedule the next decade unless we both get our acts together and meet in a bowl.

It's good to get another perspective.

Thanks. I remember back in the early '00's when Colorado beat the crap out of Nebraska. Wathced that whole game & have kind of kept up w/ you guys ever since.

Yeah. Tennessee probably hung onto Fulmer too long. So much pressure from people loyal to him (loyalty for good reason), but everyone could see the writing on the wall that the magic was gone and wasn't coming back. Kiffin was just a bad hire who quickly showed his true colors.

Throw in the cheat they had coaching the basketball team and then the Pat Summit tragic news. It's been a really tough run for the Vols.

I agree w/ all of this, especially the Fulmer/Kiffin part.

The Pearl thing was stupid on his part, if he doesn't lie to the NCAA we get a slap on the wrist & Pearl is still the coach at Tennessee. Summitt was a hard thing to watch this season, you could see that she wasn't her normal self. Was sad to see a legend go out like that.

Thanks. I remember back in the early '00's when Colorado beat the crap out of Nebraska. Wathced that whole game & have kind of kept up w/ you guys ever since.

62-36

Nebraska was never the same.

Greatest. Day. Ever.

Literally.

My wedding day and the birth of my son take a back seat.

Not saying they haven't had great teams over the years, but claiming 6 Tennessee championships is being a bit generous. Wiki counts only 7, but only two of those are what they term consensus, since there are so many different varieties of MNCs. For example, by the total count even ASU has 2 and CU only the 1 (which does make your point, just responding for clarity).

This Wiki says Tennessee claims 6 MNCs (3 of those they lost their bowl game :lol:) and the records on this page show no season with more than 7 losses.

Tennessee actually has 14 Natioanl Championships but our Athletic Department only claims 6 of those. A few of those are stretches to claim but there are a few years that we should claim but we don't.

Also, back in those days the National Champion was claimed before bowl games were played. Bowl games were thought of as "All-Star" games, a lot of the times the teams best players wouldn't play the whole game or the game at all.

That's a major understatement.

If Tennessee has "some" tradition, then we don't have any at all.

13 SEC Championships. 6 MNCs (4 in the post WW2 era). They've never lost 8 or more games in a season. The only other school that holds that record is tOSU. They also rank #9 all time in wins.

Are they the old beauty that isn't the hot thing on the block anymore? Probably. But Neyland seats 102k people and the entire facility is start of the art. Their boosters run almost as deep as anyone in the SEC.

Edit: That said, Dooley is on the hot seat and Tennessee demands championships. The rise of SCar is a thorn in Tennessee's side since a strong Tennessee requires a down SCar (due to recruits, South Carolina is a hotbed). And truth be told, but if Embree doesn't win this year it's not like he isn't going to have a warm seat. It may not be as hot as Dooley's, but it'll be warm. Any coach most of these kids get recruited by probably won't be at their current job for very long. CFB has no patience anymore.

Tennessee is the winningest team in CFB since General Neyland stepped foot on campus in 1926. The 1939 team is the last team to go through an entire regular season not being scored upon.

Hmm.. still think he should've stayed home and been a BUFF. Still not good having our state's best go to other programs. Sucks.

Tennessee actually has 14 Natioanl Championships but our Athletic Department only claims 6 of those. A few of those are stretches to claim but there are a few years that we should claim but we don't.

Also, back in those days the National Champion was claimed before bowl games were played. Bowl games were thought of as "All-Star" games, a lot of the times the teams best players wouldn't play the whole game or the game at all.

You should make corrections to the Wiki page - I'd be interested in seeing where the other half come from.

Hmm where did Bigbang go? This Tennessee guy seems cool, he could be like BamaCharlie ya know.

Still not over, won't give up the him just yet, but I can understand the commitment, Tennessee has a good baseball program.

Last edited:
Still not over, won't give up the him just yet, but I can understand the commitment, Tennessee has a good baseball program.
I didn't know he was intending to play both. I know his dad and family are really into baseball. That makes sense I guess.

I don't see how playing baseball and being an effective offensive tackle are compatible. Completely different body types required. I doubt he will be doing anything with baseball at Tennessee except watching it.

I don't see how playing baseball and being an effective offensive tackle are compatible. Completely different body types required. I doubt he will be doing anything with baseball at Tennessee except watching it.
I'm sure bigbang has information we don't on that.

What position does he play in baseball? I dont recall ever seeing a position player that damn tall, few pitchers here and there. Red ass Randy Johnson topping that list.

Saw Skipper play last night against BHS. He is every bit of 6'10". Maybe more. There was a Tennessee coach in the stands. No idea who it was. Ralston Valley has one helluva good football team. Their QB really impressed me. Throws a very nice ball. He hit a few receivers way downfield right in stride. I came away more impressed by their QB than with Skipper. To be fair, BHS has had so many injuries that they were basically playing their JV squad, so they didnt generate much pass rush.

Saw Skipper play last night against BHS. He is every bit of 6'10". Maybe more. There was a Tennessee coach in the stands. No idea who it was. Ralston Valley has one helluva good football team. Their QB really impressed me. Throws a very nice ball. He hit a few receivers way downfield right in stride. I came away more impressed by their QB than with Skipper. To be fair, BHS has had so many injuries that they were basically playing their JV squad, so they didnt generate much pass rush.
Does RV still run wishbone? Used to run that when I played against them.

Back