What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 TX OT Alex Mayes (Verbal to Minnesota)

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
247 Sports

7_383030.jpg

Van Alstyne H.S. (Van Alstyne, TX)

Ht: 6-foot-6
Wt: 275 lbs
40: 5.05 secs

Rivals rating: 3*-5.6rr; unranked OT
Scout rating: 3*; #54 OT
ESPN rating: 3*-72 grade; #123 OT
247s rating: 3*-83 rating; #87 OT

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Arkansas State, Connecticut, CSU, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, New Mexico, Texas State

[video=youtube;YlJUkIFvIkM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlJUkIFvIkM[/video]

[video=youtube;7E2fnQp8qAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E2fnQp8qAM[/video]

Coming off a strong junior season, including all-district honors. Van Alstyne plays at the 3A level and is about 45 miles north of Dallas. Mayes is a TCU legacy and would likely commit there if offered.

I wouldn't put KSU above us, sounds like he didn't really feel KSU.

Agreed, it sounds like his visit may decide it.

Also, Alex has a younger brother who looks like a very good Center prospect for 2014 and the two are definitely interested in playing college ball together.

Likely Gopher.

Help me out. I can't think of one thing Minnesota has that would be perceived as better than CU. Is this a matter of him getting along with the coaches really well? How could somebody choose Minnesota over CU? What do they have that we're lacking? I'm honestly lost on that.

Help me out. I can't think of one thing Minnesota has that would be perceived as better than CU. Is this a matter of him getting along with the coaches really well? How could somebody choose Minnesota over CU? What do they have that we're lacking? I'm honestly lost on that.

He just hasn't been to CU yet. No one can escape the allsomeness that is CU and Boulder.

He has a good relationship with the Minny coaches. He actually really liked Kansas before the coaching change there (believe he would have committed there already if that had not happened).

Minnesota has brand new facilities. Beautifully done. There's concern there, though, that they didn't get the recruiting bump the last 2 years those facilities should have allowed. Changing coaches again was a last gasp effort to capitalize before it's too late.

Mayes said he has no preference for a particular conference and whether a school will allow him to play in Texas in front of family and friends more than others. He said he likes the idea of playing for the Buffs in the Pac-12.

"I'm really excited about Colorado and playing over there on the West Coast against all those guys," Mayes said. "There is good competition over there in the Pac-12."

http://colorado.scout.com/2/1192380.html

Just from that preview it sounded very good.

It is. If the offer list stays like it is, I think he's a Buff. I'm worried about what may come out of his unofficials to Okie Lite and TCU before he gets to Boulder for an UV, though.

I'm really high on Mayes. This is a recruiting battle we need to win.

Yeah it would. Who the f*ck would want to live in Minneapolis vs Boulder?
:wave:

but seriously, boulder is the best college town in america. i think you would like minneapolis, though. lots of bat**** crazy liberals.

Last edited:
Committed to the Golden Gophers today. I wonder if the timing was at all related to our recent commit?

Back