What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CA RB Jomon Dotson (Signed to Washington)

No I'm not. Rhoads is a fine coach and is probably as good as Iowa State could ever ask for. But he's been there 4 years and has a losing record, 1 winning season, has never win more than 3 conference games, and is coming off a 6-7 season and a whipping at the hands of Tulsa in the whogivesa**** bowl. Iowa State is a dog**** program and I don't consider that a great offer.

Not to knock this kid, I actually like his tape and if his speed is legit I'm all for him, but let's not make Iowa State out to be more than they are.

I've been critical of the recruiting, but I'd have no problems taking a few 5.6 3*'s with sub-4.5 speed (assuming that's true) and offer lists like Dotson's. He's a legitimate BCS talent and I think the staff can have success with kids like this.

No I'm not. Rhoads is a fine coach and is probably as good as Iowa State could ever ask for. But he's been there 4 years and has a losing record, 1 winning season, has never win more than 3 conference games, and is coming off a 6-7 season and a whipping at the hands of Tulsa in the whogivesa**** bowl. Iowa State is a dog**** program and I don't consider that a great offer.

Not to knock this kid, I actually like his tape and if his speed is legit I'm all for him, but let's not make Iowa State out to be more than they are.

Iowa State is not a great repository of talent or a big-name program, I'll give you that.

On the other hand they are a legit BCS level program. This is about improving the program and considering that for the last few years we have been recruiting against Idaho State I'll take Iowa State offers as a step up. At least we are talking about guys who belong on the same field as the teams we are playing.

Iowa State is not a great repository of talent or a big-name program, I'll give you that.

On the other hand they are a legit BCS level program. This is about improving the program and considering that for the last few years we have been recruiting against Idaho State I'll take Iowa State offers as a step up. At least we are talking about guys who belong on the same field as the teams we are playing.

Iowa state is much better than we are right now, but that doesn't make them a good program or an offer that should impress anyone. Hell, CU is a terrible offer right now.

Iowa state is much better than we are right now, but that doesn't make them a good program or an offer that should impress anyone. Hell, CU is a terrible offer right now.

That's my point. I would hope that in a few years we are at a point where a kid with a CU offer would not even consider Iowa State but we have to win some games first. 6 and 7 with a bowl loss sucks unless you play for a team that went 1-11 and hasn't sniffed a bowl in years.

Same thing with Northwestern. You don't see their jerseys in malls all over the country but they have won a lot more than we have. It certainly isn't that same as a Michigan or Ohio State offer but they have talent that is a big step up from us right now.

That's my point. I would hope that in a few years we are at a point where a kid with a CU offer would not even consider Iowa State but we have to win some games first. 6 and 7 with a bowl loss sucks unless you play for a team that went 1-11 and hasn't sniffed a bowl in years.

Same thing with Northwestern. You don't see their jerseys in malls all over the country but they have won a lot more than we have. It certainly isn't that same as a Michigan or Ohio State offer but they have talent that is a big step up from us right now.

I get that and don't disagree - I was simply responding to the shock by some earlier in this thread when it was suggested that Iowa State wasn't a great offer.

I don't think Northwestern and Iowa State are great offers. I was responding to a poster that said every offer but ASU was horrible. Reasonable people can conclude the offer list matches a mid-3* prospect pretty well. If Dotson is the only RB in the class, I think it is somewhat questionable. But he can be a nice 2nd or 3rd back in the class.

'14 CA RB Jomon Dotson

I don't think Northwestern and Iowa State are great offers. I was responding to a poster that said every offer but ASU was horrible. Reasonable people can conclude the offer list matches a mid-3* prospect pretty well. If Dotson is the only RB in the class, I think it is somewhat questionable. But he can be a nice 2nd or 3rd back in the class.

He's a pretty solid back.

Northwestern and Iowa St are horrible offers?

Whoops. I missed those 2. Still doesn't change my mind much on the offer list. ISU is typically one of the doormats of the Big 12. Maybe I have higher standards but I don't think an offer list is good unless you have multiple programs offering you that are top 50 D1 schools. Looks to me like he doesn't.

I agree he would be a nice 2nd or 3rd RB. However if we are getting excited that he is our highest rated RB coming in then we have a problem. Looks like he is considered somewhere outside a top 75 RB when you average all the recruiting services. That's not going to cut it.

I agree he would be a nice 2nd or 3rd RB. However if we are getting excited that he is our highest rated RB coming in then we have a problem. Looks like he is considered somewhere outside a top 75 RB when you average all the recruiting services. That's not going to cut it.
Really? #54-#61-#67= outside top 75? HMMM....

Really? #54-#61-#67= outside top 75? HMMM....
Numbers: how do they work?

I agree he would be a nice 2nd or 3rd RB. However if we are getting excited that he is our highest rated RB coming in then we have a problem. Looks like he is considered somewhere outside a top 75 RB when you [strike]average[/strike] add up all the recruiting services. That's not going to cut it.

fixed

Whoops. I missed those 2. Still doesn't change my mind much on the offer list. ISU is typically one of the doormats of the Big 12. Maybe I have higher standards but I don't think an offer list is good unless you have multiple programs offering you that are top 50 D1 schools. Looks to me like he doesn't.

Using F/+ adjusted numbers, here is his offer list (F/+ | Off F/+ | Off Score Rank)...

Arizona State: 41 | +2.7% | 14th (38.4 ppg)
Colorado: 124 | -14.6% | 120th (17.8 ppg)
Colorado State: 119 | -14.9% | 102nd (21.2 ppg)
Iowa State: 55 | +2.0% | 87th (24.5 ppg)
Nevada: 71 | +7.1% | 18th (37.8 ppg)
Northwestern: 29 | +5.8% | 42nd (31.7 ppg)
San Jose State: 32 | +7.4% | 29th (34.8 ppg)

So, two BCS schools in the overall top 50, and I don't have the average and rankings of all the offensive numbers, but looking at the list SJSU, ASU, NU, UN, and ISU were all right around average for the top 30 teams in offense for adjusted.

Even with ESPN's rating of being the #101 back (which is an outlier in this data), the average is the #71.75 RB, still within the top 75. Taking the median, he comes in as the #66 ranked back. For 247s' composite rankings, he comes in as the #51 rated back. So, there's really nothing I can see here that supports your argument.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, signing a RB with his speed in every class will pay off. We have been trying to get by with marginal athletes at the skill positions for way too long.

I didn't check to hard. I did see a 61 and a 67. The other two show NR on his front page not a 54. So I figured that put him outside the top 100. Thus, that is where I got an average outside 75. If he averages out to a top 60 RB then it isn't nearly as bad. Also agree that ESPN typically has there own ranking system and I don't think it is quite as accurate.

Also, I agree if this guy really is a sub 4.5 guy he would be worth a scholly. We really need a couple 4.5 guys who can return kicks.

No word in a few weeks, but probably still the #1 RB on our board.

I'd love to get Dotson on board. I see a good deal of upside here.

As for Northwestern and Iowa State, Northwestern won 10 games last year and ended the season 16th in the country. They've been to 5 straight bowls. Iowa State has been to bowls 3 of the last 4 seasons. These are schools consistently getting to bowls and even finding ways to get ranked. Any complaining about us recruiting alongside them given the hole HCMM is digging us out of is utterly asinine at this point in time.

Said awhile back that he was going to commit right after his first game of the season.

His first game of the season is this Saturday. I hope we get another #CUin14!

Had some pretty good sized holes to run through. We would look much better in the run game with holes that big to run through. That said, he seems to just GO...and in a hurry. No dancing or indecision. Hits the hole and goes. Is up to speed very quickly. Catches the ball very well and when he does, turns it up and makes yards. Six foot, maybe six one when said and done, and a buck ninety to 200 in college? Sounds pretty damned good to me.

Has already surpassed 1,000 yards on the season with 16 TDs. Competition is suspect, but Dotson is a player.

Back