What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO ATH Kalen Ballage (Signed to Arizona State)

I think he'd receive a Darrel Scott level of hype at CU. The kid is a freak. He'll be able to hand pick any school he wants to go to.

Scott was the 2nd ranked player in the country. Slow down a bit.

Based on where our program has been lately, hell yes he would receive unlimited amounts of hype. Just look at the kid (I mean man!). This program and it's fans are desperate for 4 star talent and I'm not sure he won't get a 5th star. Anything positive at this point is highly desired when we're at rock bottom.

Based on where our program has been lately, hell yes he would receive unlimited amounts of hype. Just look at the kid (I mean man!). This program and it's fans are desperate for 4 star talent and I'm not sure he won't get a 5th star. Anything positive at this point is highly desired when we're at rock bottom.
:lol:

Pretty doubtful

MOsPO.gif

'14 CO ATH Kalen Ballage

Seems a bit much with Powell, Jones, Abron and the incoming freshman Adkins in the fold. What would be driving a push for three guys?

Athlete. Athlete. Athlete. Speed. Speed. Speed.

Athlete. Athlete. Athlete. Speed. Speed. Speed.

True, and as much as some people don't like to hear this there are a number of programs out there that tend to recruit the best athletes they can get and worry about where to play them later. Across the country there are schools thats have guys playing LB, CB, Safety, and more who come in as RB recruits. In many HS programs they take the best athlete they have who can't play QB and put them at RB because at the HS level that is where they can get the best impact from them.

For a team like CU that has a huge lack of athletic ability bringing in the best athletes you can get makes sense.

Yeah, I comprehend the whole need for upgrading our talent at all positions and not wanting to turn away guys with athleticism. However, my question was directed to Duff who made a pretty specific statement about us possibly bringing in three running backs. Was just looking for more insight as to where he was coming from.

Well Ford is out after this year, and there's a lot of speculation about Payne and Crowder. Then who knows if Creer fits at RB long term (I personally think he'd be better on defense)

'14 CO ATH Kalen Ballage

Well Ford is out after this year, and there's a lot of speculation about Payne and Crowder. Then who knows if Creer fits at RB long term (I personally think he'd be better on defense)

Creer looks really hesitant running the ball

Yeah, I comprehend the whole need for upgrading our talent at all positions and not wanting to turn away guys with athleticism. However, my question was directed to Duff who made a pretty specific statement about us possibly bringing in three running backs. Was just looking for more insight as to where he was coming from.

Sorry for the late response, but I think we lack RB depth and more importantly, versatility. That is a huge problem when you are trying to run the spread. Our RB group is just not very athletic and it hinders the offense in a big way. Since one of the main goals of the spread is to isolate playmakers in space (particularly with the wide hash marks in the college game) by being able to line them up in different formations and in different spots, you need the right players at the offensive skill positions. With our current group of RBs, it's not too hard to figure out what a given play is going to be.

So I believe MacIntyre is going to be pretty aggressive in trying to address those shortcomings as quickly as possible.

Sorry for the late response, but I think we lack RB depth and more importantly, versatility. That is a huge problem when you are trying to run the spread. Our RB group is just not very athletic and it hinders the offense in a big way. Since one of the main goals of the spread is to isolate playmakers in space (particularly with the wide hash marks in the college game) by being able to line them up in different formations and in different spots, you need the right players at the offensive skill positions. With our current group of RBs, it's not too hard to figure out what a given play is going to be.

So I believe MacIntyre is going to be pretty aggressive in trying to address those shortcomings as quickly as possible.

:nod:

Also, let's not forget what football is on a very basic level. You almost can't have too many big, fast, strong guys with good field vision and agility. If they don't work at RB, there are other positions where they can perform - including special teams return & coverage teams.

True, and as much as some people don't like to hear this there are a number of programs out there that tend to recruit the best athletes they can get and worry about where to play them later. Across the country there are schools thats have guys playing LB, CB, Safety, and more who come in as RB recruits. In many HS programs they take the best athlete they have who can't play QB and put them at RB because at the HS level that is where they can get the best impact from them.

For a team like CU that has a huge lack of athletic ability bringing in the best athletes you can get makes sense.

Jordan Dizon was an RB

Thanks Duff, makes sense.

This all makes even more sense in light of the number of plays that the RB is directly involved in. Even very pass heavy teams tend to give the ball to a RB at least 15-20 times a game plus the number of passes they attempt to the position. While they may throw it much more than that no individual receiving position usually ends up with more than 10 attempts a game. This means that the amount of impact the RB can have on the game while nothing like it was in the days of teams running for 400 yards a game, is still huge. The quality of who is playing has a lot more to do with the outcome of the game than most other positions.

Back