What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 CA ATH Donzale Roddie (Verbal to Boise State)

Gracias on the tip guys. One of the Bronco Country news guys brought up Riddle though the feeling on that board is he's a pretty heavy Colorado lean, but I hadn't heard that he's taking a Boise State trip.
In Boise, news guys talk about high school recruiting? :wow:

The news guys that write for Bronco Country (the name of the BSU Scout recruiting board) do.
I was thinking you meant the local TV sports guys a la Vic Lombardi. But I have to admit, the local sports guys here do talk about just about nothing but Bronco football.

Last edited:
I was thinking you meant the local TV sports guys a la Vic Lombardi. But I have to admit, the local sports guys here do talk just about nothing but Bronco football.

If the flagship college football program in the state had more than 10 wins over the last 4 years, they'd probably talk more about it. It's also tough when 50% of the alumni base lives outside of Colorado.

I was thinking you meant the local TV sports guys a la Vic Lombardi. But I have to admit, the local sports guys here do talk just about nothing but Bronco football.

It's all good. Understandable mistake.

We're a hayseed sort of place. Once you get past the potatoes and the sheep ****ing and other subjects of local interest, there's not much else to cover other than recruiting. ;)

Joking aside, original post was genuine. Appreciated the little tidbit. Luck to the Buffs on this one. I'd call you guys the frontrunner.

Apologies if this is against board rules, if so please disregard.

But do you mind elaborating for those without Rivals subscriptions? Did he fail to qualify with the NCAA and have to go down the Juco route? Does Colorado have higher admission standards than the NCAA? (My understanding is that there's only about a dozen or so schools in FBS who don't have athletes just needing to meet the NCAA's standards for qualification but actually have their own, higher ones, that the prospects need to meet. They tend to be Ivy League, Duke, Cal, etc.)

I had Roddie as a heavy Colorado lean before this and would think him a virtual lock for BSU if he's qualified with the NCAA but Colorado requires something higher.

I'm constantly puzzled by athletes having academic issues. I mean, it is just not that hard to succeed in high school. If you have a shot to play in college and get a free education it seems like your transcripts are the easiest hurdle to making that happen. Such a shame, hopefully he works it out.

But do you mind elaborating for those without Rivals subscriptions? Did he fail to qualify with the NCAA and have to go down the Juco route? Does Colorado have higher admission standards than the NCAA? (My understanding is that there's only about a dozen or so schools in FBS who don't have athletes just needing to meet the NCAA's standards for qualification but actually have their own, higher ones, that the prospects need to meet. They tend to be Ivy League, Duke, Cal, etc.)

I had Roddie as a heavy Colorado lean before this and would think him a virtual lock for BSU if he's qualified with the NCAA but Colorado requires something higher.
All Adam said was "academic reasons." I do know Roddie said he would know more in January. Looks like he didn't like the info he got.

I'm constantly puzzled by athletes having academic issues. I mean, it is just not that hard to succeed in high school. If you have a shot to play in college and get a free education it seems like your transcripts are the easiest hurdle to making that happen. Such a shame, hopefully he works it out.

School is just so easy for everyone.

From your upbringing. Maybe Roddie has a tough family life and academics were secondary to other issues for a amount of time. Maybe he has a learning disability. Aren't you a teacher? The point I'm attempting to make is that we don't know what Roddie's situation is. It's disappointing that because of academics that we won't be taking him because I think he'll be a good player, but there is a lot here that we do not know.

(My understanding is that there's only about a dozen or so schools in FBS who don't have athletes just needing to meet the NCAA's standards for qualification but actually have their own, higher ones, that the prospects need to meet. They tend to be Ivy League, Duke, Cal, etc.)

690310883.png

Cal does not have high academic admission standards for athletic scholarships. They often offer bogus PE credits etc. Ever heard Marshawn Lynch talk? I'd be surprised if he could tie his own shoes.

For a time, CU had one of the highest, although I think that they recently lowered them to normal admission standards.

Hah! Nice pic. Sorry if I'm off base on that last one. I have no clue who the special exceptions are beyond the Ivy League schools. I would be curious if there is a list out there of which schools hold their admission standards for athletes higher than the NCAA's mandated ones.

I know that there are a few of them, but that there aren't many.

Cal does not have high academic admission standards for athletic scholarships. They often offer bogus PE credits etc. Ever heard Marshawn Lynch talk? I'd be surprised if he could tie his own shoes.

For a time, CU had one of the highest, although I think that they recently lowered them to normal admission standards.

Gracias. You guys know more about the Pac-12 schools than I do for sure.

CU does not have an easy athlete path and does not declare half its team to be "learning disabled" in order to bend the rules... as many programs do. Therefore, admissions and the coaches are conservative about who they take academic risks on. It's not a good idea for the program and unfair to the player if he is put into a situation where he's likely to fail.

That said, Roddie's situation is unclear. I asked Adam on the Rivals board if Roddie was going to be a full qualifier with the NCAA or whether he was not going to qualify and would need to go the JUCO route. Adam said he didn't know, just that it was academics. CU coaches are very high on Roddie as a person and an athlete, though.

Aren't you a teacher?

I was a horrible student. But I was accepted to Texas Tech. Just thought I'd mentio that.

We do have a pretty good "accomodations" dept for folks with ADHD and other issues.

Last edited:
Hah! Nice pic. Sorry if I'm off base on that last one. I have no clue who the special exceptions are beyond the Ivy League schools. I would be curious if there is a list out there of which schools hold their admission standards for athletes higher than the NCAA's mandated ones.

I know that there are a few of them, but that there aren't many.

Do you know Big Jim?

School is just so easy for everyone.

It's not about the academics coming naturally for someone. Success in school is mostly about doing the work. If you're not academically eligible despite the huge reward placed on it then you're just not doing the work. Cross all the T's dot all the I's.

It's not about the academics coming naturally for someone. Success in school is mostly about doing the work. If you're not academically eligible despite the huge reward placed on it then you're just not doing the work. Cross all the T's dot all the I's.

Not really. Lots of students and athletes have learning disabilities or other barriers to overcome. Either they go undiagnosed or the school doesn't have the proper resources to help these students excel. For some it takes more than just "hard work."

When you work with the student population I work with it doesn't surprise you at all.

Lot's of families don't put an emphasis on academic achievement. It is shocking the number of families out there that have no high school graduates among even extended family, parents, aunts, uncles, grand parents.

For a kid growing up in one of these families it is easy to fall behind academically, school is a place you go for social reasons and to participate in sports, not to get an education. By the time the kid realizes that a level of academic achievement is needed to continue in sports at the next level he already has significant gaps in his knowledge and in many cases doesn't know how to be an effective student.

He may find a tremendous level of motivation his junior and senior year of high school but this may not be enough to make up for the damage done earlier on. We have a kid in our school right now who is an excellent athlete, maybe good enough to justify a scholly at a division 2 level school. He won't get it because at 17 years of age he has a 4th grade reading level and lacks fundamental math skills required to do even high school level math. Skills such as fractions, decimals, ratios, etc. as well as the math reasoning that would allow him to apply math skills to problems.

We had him tested and the results of the test indicate that he is not learning disabled or otherwise handicapped. What happened is that dad went to jail and mom bounced from relative to relative as he was growing up. He spent large gaps of time either not in school or bouncing from school to school and nobody close held him accountable for working while he was in school. Now mom goes to jail and he ends up in a stable home with an uncle who's own son is a quality student but the damage is done.

Most athletes who struggle academically aren't in as extreme a situation as this kid but the lack of long term academic expectations and support makes even reaching the minimum levels required a challenge.

I feel like you do not have to be a good student to get a scholarship for division 1. You just cannot be a terrible student. There are plenty of average to below average students getting scholarships.

Not really. Lots of students and athletes have learning disabilities or other barriers to overcome. Either they go undiagnosed or the school doesn't have the proper resources to help these students excel. For some it takes more than just "hard work."

You're right, it's more than just hard work. In high school (much like college), you really just need to show up. Can be tough.

The problem is that you have to be academically eligible to play in high school. How the hell can he be eligible to play in all his games during the fall, yet be academically ineligible for a CU football scholarship in the winter?

Back