What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 TX QB Chason Virgil (Verbal to Fresno State)

OK. It's fine to tell him that, but when you are given the opportunity to sign a kid who is, by most accounts, a better prospect, you do it. You then go to Montez and tell him that you will honor his scholarship, but that in the interest of the program, you felt that you needed to also take another quarterback. That's being honest and respectful of your commitment to him. I see nothing wrong with taking that approach.
Or we could ask him to gray shirt.

OK. It's fine to tell him that, but when you are given the opportunity to sign a kid who is, by most accounts, a better prospect, you do it. You then go to Montez and tell him that you will honor his scholarship, but that in the interest of the program, you felt that you needed to also take another quarterback. That's being honest and respectful of your commitment to him. I see nothing wrong with taking that approach.

MacIntyre hasn't done anything since he's been here to suggest he's willing to do that
If Virgil is a December graduate, couldn't he be on campus in January and count toward last year's class? He wouldn't be in the Montez class.

Well sure they could count the scholarship for last year, but Montez and Virgil would both still be True freshmen in the same class

Well sure they could count the scholarship for last year, but Montez and Virgil would both still be True freshmen in the same class

At least one of them would surely redshirt. I don't know, just seems like big boy programs bring in the best players available.

A JUCO or grad transfer.

The coaches being comfortable with Montez is fine by me. Missing on other players earlier is a bigger problem to me.
Agree.
This Virgil guy was never on our radar and then suddenly we were a finalist? I found that info to be suspect at that time. Didn't buy it then and don't buy it now. I think we are debating a non issue here.
Get us a transfer! Braxton would do!

Last edited:
AJ, your mail is full. My comment to Duff about "little girl program" was total, 100% sarcasm. I thought that was pretty clear.

To me, it's really simple. Competition makes players better. I don't think Montez would give a rat's ass if we brought in another qb. I don't even know if Virgil is interested anymore, say he is, we'd be pretty damn stupid to not try and get him. It's not a knock on Montez at all, it's improving your talent level imho.

Four, three, two, one. Edit.

DBT I get your humor, I really do. But there's a time and place for everything.

Last edited:
Would be a big pickup, excellent speed, would be a perfect fit in our pistol offense.

I hope whatever he liked about Colorado when he considered us the first time is still a factor. A player who chooses the buffs is pretty likely to make a difference. Not just blend into a winning program, but to be part of the team that CREATES a winning program.

I wouldn't call Montez the loser.
1) He committed to CU from get go
2) He could be the better QB (IMO he will be)
c) Montez is/has committed the other kid has not. As far as we know, is CU on his radar??

I didn't mean it that way, my wording was ambiguous, my fault. I just meant the loser would either transfer or, in Montez's case due to his athleticism and size, play TE. Virgil is athletic too so he could also end up playing WR or something if he lost. Either way, we win because we got the better player of the two. Nobody can say who that will be until they get on campus and compete against each other for awhile.

As Luke pointed out, recruits, especially highly regarded recruits, aren't deterred by competition. I'm just not getting a good vibe on him coming here. So, unless you recruiting site gurus know something, I'm not getting any hopes up here.

I've got a feeling that DeRuyter is going to have a bounce back season at Fresno and be a hot candidate this time next year. That's a great get for his program.

Buffs have the flood makeup game at home against Fresno State in 2019. Virgil could be a 5th year senior for that one.

This is one of those "right place, right time" situations that sometimes happens in recruiting that just makes you shake your head and laugh.

No way Fresno State lands him against all those other offers on the list if Mississippi State doesn't pull the offer a month before signing day after pretty much everybody out there is already full up.

There isn't a program on his offer list, Boise State or Colorado included, that doesn't have a bit of a wry, ironical smile on their face right now on where Virgil ended up landing.

I've got a feeling that DeRuyter is going to have a bounce back season at Fresno and be a hot candidate this time next year. That's a great get for his program.

Buffs have the flood makeup game at home against Fresno State in 2019. Virgil could be a 5th year senior for that one.

one can hope he's such a stud he declares early for the NFL -

Back