What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 WA CB Austin Joyner (Verbal to Washington)

Joyner, a four-star running back prospect that plans to play defensive back in college, has narrowed his choices to Washington State and Boise State and plans to decide between the two in the near future.

“The biggest thing is my ability to play early, that’s why I’m down to these last two schools and I know I would have a good chance of playing early at Boise State,” said Joyner, a high school junior at Marysville-Pilchuck High in Marysville, Wash. “I like their coaching staff a lot. They are a lot younger than most coaching staffs and they have a lot of energy. I liked the campus, the blue field of course, and everything they have is brand new.”

Joyner noted that he enjoys outdoor activities such as hunting and fishing and that the ability to do that would also play into his decision. Boise State would appear to fair favorably in that category.
“I just like the outdoors,” Joyner said. “Keeps you busy.”

The 5-foot-10, 186-pound Joyner said he eliminated Colorado from his list in part because of a crowded roster at defensive back that could have limited his ability to get on the field early in his time there.

Who would have thought our CB depth chart would be a negative over the last couple years? Interesting.

FWIW with regards to the depth chart issue that the article touches on: BSU has three senior CBs graduating this year and only one Jr. one coming back next year. So if early playing time is a priority for Austin, he's done his research.

And we've been putting a lot of DBs into the NFL in recent years.

Bet he ends up a UDub in the end.

And some really sour grapes in this thread.

Bet he ends up a UDub in the end.

Really wouldn't surprise me to be honest. A pretty significant chunk of our fanbase have already taken to calling our former head coach "Poach Pete" due to how many staff and recruits he took with him. Even stole our video guy yesterday.

One of the things about following recruiting that always causes heartburn is that no recruit is in the bag until they're actually enrolled at the school. Looooong time between now and LOI day.

With regards to this, I think it is a factor, but one that can be overstated. BSU has put seven DBs into the league since 2007.

Kyle Wilson
Jamar Taylor
Orlando Scandrick
Jeron Johnson
Brandon Thompson
George Iloka
Gerald Alexander

Last year's #1 overall draft choice came from the MAC of all conferences. Anyway, you guys are pretty set at CB so hopefully there will be other prospects you can reel in. Best of luck with them and wish us luck closing the deal against Wazzu.

Does that matter when it is a completely different staff? That staff is mostly in Washington now, and not Pullman either.

Does that matter when it is a completely different staff? That staff is mostly in Washington now, and not Pullman either.

Definitely a fair point.

Marcel Yates, who is our new defensive coordinator to replace the one that Pete took with him to Washington, is our former DB coach before he left to accept the defensive coordinator role at Texas A&M. He coached all the guys on that list who went on to play in the NFL during his last stint at Boise.

And that wasn't against this recruit. He needs to go where he wants to, the place he feels fits him best. I have no issue with that. And I don't care where your degree is from, that might get you a quicker interview, but the work you put in will be what keeps your job.

Definitely a fair point.

Marcel Yates, who is our new defensive coordinator to replace the one that Pete took with him to Washington, is our former DB coach before he left to accept the defensive coordinator role at Texas A&M. He coached all the guys on that list who went on to play in the NFL during his last stint at Boise.

Then I concede that you have a good selling point there then.

And that wasn't against this recruit. He needs to go where he wants to, the place he feels fits him best. I have no issue with that. And I don't care where your degree is from, that might get you a quicker interview, but the work you put in will be what keeps your job.

No ****. This is gonna shock tini, but 2 guys I work with a lot who are at the top of the technical ladder in my very large engineering company are from ASU and NU.

No ****. This is gonna shock tini, but 2 guys I work with a lot who are at the top of the technical ladder in my very large engineering company are from ASU and NU.

If only I has said it's all guaranteed and that no one ever succeeded with a degree from a less than stellar school!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only I has said it's all guaranteed and that no one ever succeeded with a degree from a less than stellar school!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's well documented that you school-bash w/o reservation.

It's well documented that you school-bash w/o reservation.
I bash schools like Arizona State and Kansas State for their academics and for good reason (and no I am not alone there), I never say that it's impossible to be successful if you go to a lesser university and if you think differently you are insane. I don't bash any schools without any quantitative data to back it up and am speaking in generalities. This discussion doesn't belong in a recruits thread, however.

Last edited:
So this kid has a) asked to not play RB bc it is hard on his body, and b) doesn't want to go to a school with competition at his DB position? Interesting approach.

So this kid has a) asked to not play RB bc it is hard on his body, and b) doesn't want to go to a school with competition at his DB position? Interesting approach.

I think it is pretty smart if you are thinking long term. More CBs on the field at one time, longer career at the next level and larger paycheck at the next level.

I just hope Mr. Joyner realizes the error in his logic and changes his commitment, but not to Udub as but to the good guys. He seemed to really like us until he was talked out of it by early PT.

Well, that's a bummer. Still, congrats to him on his decision and best of luck to him. Hope he changes his mind before LOI day but if he doesn't I wish him well on his college career.

Just noticed he also made the Semper Fidelis All-American game and then noticed he's no longer committed to WSU.

Just noticed he also made the Semper Fidelis All-American game and then noticed he's no longer committed to WSU.

Yeah. He was Washington. Then he was Wazzu. Then Wazzu's DC got fired. I'm going to guess that he ends up back at UW.

Pretty sure Joyner's down to Washington and Boise State based on his visit here last weekend, with Washington the very heavy favorite. Probably 90% chance Washington and 10% Boise State.

Back