What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'16 CA OLB Akil Jones (Signed to COLORADO)

Regarding the gap-plugged comment, the ilb's in a 3/4 are typically bigger since they tend to have to take on a guard or tackle more frequently than a traditional 4/3 inside backer. I'm not sure he'd last long if he could only get to 225lbs or thereabouts.

But I do agree that the ilb position does need someone who can really jet.

This 3-4 (really a 5-2) is designed to keep the ILBs clean so they can run around and make plays.

For sure, but I'm pretty sure he's being recruited for the inside.Football has changed. ILBs aren't gap pluggers. They have to chase sideline-to-sideline and they have to play in space, often in man coverage against an over-sized WR we call a TE these days or an all-purpose RB. They also have to be able to spy a running QB and be able to chase down a Mariota or Hundley or Solomon in the Pac-12.In the 3-4, it's our OLBs who are more likely to be less capable in space since those are our primary pass rushers for their most important skill set.
IOW, the anti-Kent Baer recruit, which is a great thing.

MFing yes!!!! Reminds me of Falo. This is a big get. Would rather have guys that want to be Buffs than be begged. Looks like the Flatirons are finally paying off when your facilities are on par or better rather than bottom of league. Congrats Akil. Welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**** Yes! With Jones we have a pretty solid class so far, they may not be eye-popping in terms of recruiting rankings, but thats irrelevant. We need kids that want to play here and see and believe in where Colorado football is going. This kid has an incredible motor and pursuit that we so desperately need. Its kids like this that will get us out of the cellar in the pac-12 in terms of run defense. Great get and sko buffs.

Big recruiting win that makes me feel very good after the JoJo defection to the red side. Looking forward to the upgrades in team speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great get for the Buffs. So glad we got a DC who is able to pull up his sleeves an contribute to recruiting in a meaningful way. I like this kid's attitude and seems to have plenty of upside potential.

Welcome to the Black and Gold Akil! Go Buffs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back