What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'16 CO OLB Carlo Kemp (Signed to Michigan)

That was the thing about Adam's interview with Barry Remington that was awesome to hear. He took ownership of the program being where it was and wanted to change it instead of looking down on it and leaving the state. Kemp could be part of the solution (staying) instead of part of the problem (leaving).

For a 17 year old to have the mindset of wanting to sacrifice winning immediately, national recognition, big time program, etc. to be part of the group that turned the hometown team around, would demonstrate a lot of maturity, confidence, leadership, etc. I'm not saying Kemp doesn't have those traits, but choosing to stay home over the "bright lights" of a big time program is not an easy choice and takes a special kind of kid.

For a 17 year old to have the mindset of wanting to sacrifice winning immediately, national recognition, big time program, etc. to be part of the group that turned the hometown team around, would demonstrate a lot of maturity, confidence, leadership, etc. I'm not saying Kemp doesn't have those traits, but choosing to stay home over the "bright lights" of a big time program is not an easy choice and takes a special kind of kid.
You're in the "bargaining" stage, :lol:

Not really. He made it pretty clear that he wasn't too interested in CSU and wouldn't be because of the conference affiliation.

Here's the quote I'm referring to:

"With CSU, you know, I'm definitely going to keep my two home schools (CSU and CU) pretty high, just because they're home, they're close, and staying in the state and how important that is. So both CSU and CU, they're both, I guess if you want to rate it, above average type of interest, just because they're at home."

https://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1758710

That quote makes feel like we might be lumped in with CSU, jmo. Hopefully he's just playing to the CSU reporter.

Last edited:
That quote, to me, sounded like he didn't want to offend anybody about his lack of interest in staying in state. That actually makes me believe we have no shot, barring some miracle sell job by HCMM and JL, along with him being wowed by the facilities this Fall.

That quote, to me, sounded like he didn't want to offend anybody about his lack of interest in staying in state. That actually makes me believe we have no shot, barring some miracle sell job by HCMM and JL, along with him being wowed by the facilities this Fall.
Pretty much how I read it. Seems like a longshot.

Bad news: doesn't seem to really care about staying in state.

Good news: we don't play in the mountain west.

If he goes somewhere else, I hope it's not to another Pac 12 school. I'd hate to see him playing against us every year.

Yeah, that was kind of what I was trying to say.

Young man definitely seems to be getting pretty widespread attention.

[tweet]596699178077593600[/tweet]

https://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1770260

Sounds like the CU staff has done a good job of recruiting Kemp. I think he still leans strongly toward going to an out-of-state football elite, but that he now has a comfort with CU and could also see himself staying home for college.

Goal right now is to still be on his short list by the end of summer and then show him wins along with those completed facilities. Would also help, I'd imagine, if the staff could get a couple blue chip commits ahead of him.

Definitely way more positive for us than ever before, sounds like he'd really consider us if we put together a nice season. Still worried about Stanford and UCLA, though.

Nebraska offered Carlo Kemp today.

Looks like Danny Langsdorf is the lead recruiter for Nebraska on this one.

Could get interesting. Kemp attends the same high school as Kenny Bell did.

We know damn well what school he goes to.

I hear ya, Sacky, and I agree as a selfish fan. We live in a different time of CU athletics than when Chauncey came to CU, though, and kids have different mindsets, motivations, goals, dreams, etc. To Kemp, CU is a program that draws ~50k (generous) fans per game and seemingly trades wins vs CSU every other year, loses to Sac State, Montana State, goes winless in P12 play and has become irrelevant on the national landscape. It's maddening because you and I remember winning football in Boulder and how awesome it can be, and we just don't understand how any in state kid doesn't share the same passion for CU.

This^^ Most of us think about CU Football and remember some great teams. A 17 year old kid only knows of CU as average or below-average and won't have the same feelings of excitement about CU football.

I wonder how much a few nice wins this season and the excitement that would bring might affect this kids decision.

This^^ Most of us think about CU Football and remember some great teams. A 17 year old kid only knows of CU as average or below-average and won't have the same feelings of excitement about CU football.

I wonder how much a few nice wins this season and the excitement that would bring might affect this kids decision.

There is a reason CU is referred to by a lot of people in the industry as a sleeping giant. Only question is if HCMM has the ability to get the team to perform at the level to start waking things up. Kemp would be a big piece to that.

I fall into the unrealistic "be a difference maker" school. I totally get wanting to go to a proven winner "elite" program. But, probably because of the era I grew up in, think it'd be more fulfilling to help build a program. But then, I'm sure several in the last ten years or so who tried that would like a do over. But now I think it's a very achievable goal.

thats what we fans do. We project ourselves into how we want kids to make the most important decision of their lives.

Last edited:
Clearly an even bigger uphill battle with the ND offer, but it's nice to see more evidence we've joined the conversation past him just saying nice things about the in-state schools.

Kemp listed Colorado, Michigan, UCLA and Stanford as other programs “making a big presence” in his recruitment. From that group only the Cardinal hasn’t offered.
“I don’t have any favorites,” Kemp said. “It’s still pretty early in my eyes. Going into the season, I’ll cut my list to five because you only get five official visits, which I’ll take in the fall before I commit and enroll early.”

http://www.scout.com/college/notre-dame/story/1553793-irish-offer-one-of-kemp-s-best-days?s=148

Last edited:
Clearly an even bigger uphill battle with the ND offer, but it's nice to see more evidence we've joined the conversation past him just saying nice things about the in-state schools.

http://www.scout.com/college/notre-dame/story/1553793-irish-offer-one-of-kemp-s-best-days?s=148

It seems like he really likes leavitt but he just isn't sold on the program as a whole yet. I am not very worried about being on his official visit list as he is so close unless it means he is really trimming his list to five.

Everybody with a brain bigger than a lentil, knows K. Bell was a Danny-boy recruiting FUBAR, so don't go acting like he was some miraculous "steal" by the bib-overall set.

How many of you "In-awe-of-the Golden Dome" fanboys have ever been to the sh*thole that is South Bend?

Gave me the willies when I was there and you can't spend 4 yrs. without leaving campus at some time......

Accurate. Campus is very impressive. Awful location.

IT doesn't matter about what we think, Carlo is in awe of the golden domers and thAt is all that matters. He said it is his dream offer.

Back