What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'16 TNFR QB Zach Allen (Rutgers)

I'm glad he had a desire to get on the field rather than sit the bench, headstrong move. But that doesn't really raise his value much in my eyes.

That's fine. He was clearly beat out by Boykin and the QB in the class behind him passed Allen on the depth chart. He wasn't going to beat out Kenny "The Thrill" Hill this year (aTm transfer). He might be a decent college QB, but he's not a world beater.

That doesn't mean he wouldn't upgrade the roster and provide depth/security at a vital position, though.

Are you comfortable with going into 2017 with the risk of Montez being the guy without facing much competition? Are you comfortable with playing Noyer or a true frosh if Montez got hurt? Are you confident that they'll be able to bring in a significant upgrade to Allen in the JUCO or transfer market next year to fix this situation? And even if they do, what's wrong with having QBs in both the senior and junior classes in 2017 when Montez will only be a sophomore?

We're losing 3 senior QBs in Sefo, Gehrke and Awini. We have no sophomores or juniors. This needs to be addressed in multiple ways as a HUGE priority.

Last edited:
But he's not a backup QB at TCU, he's a below average WR looking to transfer from TCU.

That is simply not true, as Jeric explained. If you've already made up your mind and won't listen, I don't understand why you are debating.

You said it right in your post. You tie up a valuable scholarship for two years on a guy you hope and pray we never have to put into a game situation.

I'm looking at this from a ROI perspective and I believe we can get a lot better value.
Fair enough. As nik said, the QB position needs to be upgraded in the worst way, and I just think you take your chance on a guy like this rather than bank on another grad transfer or JUCO prospect to compete with Montez next year.

Where has he played QB?

2014 vs TTU in limited action. Has been on the QB depth chart the past 2 years. As stated, when he learned he would not be getting game snaps at QB (just as a Holder), he volunteered to help the team any way he could and played a little WR while continuing to practice as a QB.

He's thrown 2 passes. It looks like his primary positions were holder on field goals and depth at WR last year.

My opinion is that if you roll the dice here you burn a scholarship for two years that could be used elsewhere and shutdown searching for a better QB option in the present. All for a guy who has not shown a single shred of evidence that he has the talent to be even a 2nd string P5 QB.

He's thrown 2 passes. It looks like his primary positions were holder on field goals and depth at WR last year.

My opinion is that if you roll the dice here you burn a scholarship for two years that could be used elsewhere and shutdown searching for a better QB option in the present. All for a guy who has not shown a single shred of evidence that he has the talent to be even a 2nd string P5 QB.
Bolded is false and takes away from your otherwise reasonable position.

It's not false, it's TBD. And right now the returns favor my position.

The fact that he has been QB2 for much of his time at TCU would seem to be a single shred of evidence that he has the talent to be a 2nd string P5 QB.

Who subsequently stopped being a QB altogether.

Again, he did not. He is transferring as a QB. Let's wait and see the tape he's putting together. Lots of schools are interested and have been contacting him. Clearly you don't think he's good enough to be on the CU roster. That's fine. I think he improves the roster.

Sorry internet has been jacked up all day. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at him if they watch him first.

I'm tired of CU's QB development lacking behind because we want to take flyers on guys like Gehrke and Allen. We lock onto these guys with little chance of amounting to anything and then they end up taking the garbage time reps instead of a QB we are actually trying to groom into a starter. It sets us back. Obviously QB recruiting overall is the biggest culprit, but moves like this certainly don't help.

And the argument that we should be excited about him because some other schools with dire QB situations are also looking at him is terrible.

If his 4.52 is legit (and it must be since it's rounded to two decimal points, right?) he is probably in the 95th percentile on this team and I'm sure there's a spot for him. If he can play qb it's a bonus.

I'm tired of CU's QB development lacking behind because we want to take flyers on guys like Gehrke and Allen. We lock onto these guys with little chance of amounting to anything and then they end up taking the garbage time reps instead of a QB we are actually trying to groom into a starter. It sets us back. Obviously QB recruiting overall is the biggest culprit, but moves like this certainly don't help.

And the argument that we should be excited about him because some other schools with dire QB situations are also looking at him is terrible.
No one made that argument. I said it means we should also look at him, not be excited for him.

The one not redshirting who drops below 3rd on the depth chart. I could live with that.

I think you are overvaluing "experience" here. If you could convince me Allen is good enough to see the field at QB in 2016 (not a high hurdle), I would be all for it. But can you really make that argument?

I think you are overvaluing "experience" here. If you could convince me Allen is good enough to see the field at QB in 2016 (not a high hurdle), I would be all for it. But can you really make that argument?

Assuming Sefo was healthy, I don't see it for 2016.

In a competition among Gehrke, Montez and Allen I think there is a chance but I don't know enough to say who I'd think would have the advantage there.

CU certainly has distinct recruiting advantages over those schools, but if he is eligible this year, I don't see him wanting to battle Sefo for the starting gig. Anyone know what the QB situation looks like at the other schools?

I know that all 3 have been actively pursuing grad transfer QBs and have been attached to pretty much every name this offseason. I haven't looked specifically into their situations, but they all clearly want to bring someone in and have been aggressively trying to make that happen.

Back