What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 AZ QB Chase Cord (Verbal to Boise State)

WasianCU

Club Member
Club Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
247sports

COZuVErWgAAoVPV.jpg

Sunrise Mountain HS (Peoria, AZ)

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/chase_cord

Ht: 6'3"
Wt: 185
40: 4.71

Rivals rating: 3*-5.6rr; #25 QB-D
Scout rating: 3*; #47 QB
ESPN rating: 3*-79 grade; #21 QB-P
247s rating: 3*-85 grade; #37 QB-P

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Boise State, Columbia, Harvard, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Nevada, Northern Arizona, Oregon State, Princeton, SDSU, Utah, Utah State, UTEP, Wyoming

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting prospect. Good height, can scoot, and the camp reports are that he showed pinpoint accuracy -- including being able to sling it while on the move. But he also plays in a lower division of Arizona prep football so he's not getting exposed to the best competition in the state. I haven't seen anything about him having a QB coach, either, so my assumption is that he'd come in a bit raw if he ended up being the guy CU signs.

He's been working for awhile with a QB coach. Can't remember who it was, but I was told this earlier this summer.

Was curious so I looked in his Twitter feed - the other offer is from Arizona Christian University.

Adam put a good article up on Rivals (free): https://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1819120

Also, there are a couple interesting posts from the Oregon boards on 24/7 here and here:

Have you guys seen Chase Cord ? Legit 6'3" and ran a 4.53 laser timed 40 this spring and 4.6 at The Opening. Much faster than Kelley. Stats off the charts since starting Varsity as a Freshman.

Was a 3 time National Champion in the USA Track and Field Junior Olympics. Holds the Arizona state record for the Triathlon. Led his 2012 Pop Warner team to a Super Bowl victory in Orlando, FL at the ESPN Center. Point being, he knows how to win at elite levels. Everything he touches turns to gold.

Chase Cord. He's the next best QB in Arizona in 2017 after Ryan Kelley. At first he comes off as a statue-esque thrower, but he can actually get out of the pocket. Just from his week 2 highlights, you see some big boy throws and can understand why he's on Nate Costa's radar.

Last edited:
A little more info on Mike Giovando from April of this year http://footballhotbed.com/mike-giovando/

"Giovando has 15 years of tutoring quarterbacks to his credit and specializes in mechanics, footwork and teaching quarterbacks to be consistent....
Giovando is well known as a coach on the West coast, specifically in Arizona, where he trains 50-60 quarterbacks each week. He’s perhaps best known for working with Collin Kaepernick and Tim Tebow on the pro level. But perhaps most impressive is his current roster of college level quarterbacks, many have NFL resumes and college quarterbacks who have amazing potential. Here’s Coach Giovando’s current roster of trainees:

Tyrod Taylor– Buffalo Bills (Virginia Tech)
Brett Hundley-UCLA (pro draft prospect) who Giovando has trained since he was young
Kyle Allen- Current starter at Texas A&M from Scottsdale, AZ trained by Giovando since in middle school
Blake Barnett – Enrolled at Alabama, Freshman in the fall of 2015 (Elite 11 QB winner in 2014)
Deondre Francios – Heading to Florida State in the fall of 2015
Brian Lewerke– Heading to Michigan State in fall of 2015
Kare’ Lyles– 2016 Saguaro High School, Scottsdale, AZ committed to Wisconsin"

Another article also indicates he briefly coached at Scottsdale CC until two years prior to Gehrke arriving.

Last edited:
We probably need 2.
I get what you're saying, but based upon his film if we were to land him I'm not so sure we'd need two QBs. He hit lots of different kinds of throws both from the pocket and on the run, and I counted two that didn't hit his receivers in stride. Those two were put only where his receiver could get it. Love his accuracy, decent enough arm, and definitely has some wheels.

Is competition level the only reason that he isn't higher rated than he is?

I have to think he's going to blow up here pretty soon.

The only time if makes sense to sign 2 hs Qbs is if at least one is an elite athlete that could potentially play another position. I think most HS QBs realize most schools will only sign 1 QB which is why they notoriously commit early.

Back