What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 CA TE Josh Falo (Signed to USC)

Well considering between 7 TE's only 3 Rec in all of 2016 for a total of 20 yards I wouldn't be strong on the Buffs. We have good TE's but never utilize them and when we do it is usually works. If I were him I would go to Michigan where they use the hell out of theirs.

Is your definition of "good" a sliding scale? There is a reason we do not pass much to the tight ends right now, and also a reason why Falo may be one of the top 2-3 players on the entire recruiting board.

Irwin and Fraiser are pretty good.
colorado-buffaloes-utah-utes-11262016-ac_ac33273x.jpg

Irwin is a very good blocker and was used as such. Frazier dropped two TDs when they did try to pass it to him. Falo has a great chance at extensive early playing time for a reason.

Frazier actually has been quite adequate catching passes before this season.
6 catches in 2015 for 31 yards and 1 TD. 5 catches for 35 yards and 3 TDs in 2014.

We don't trust him in the passing game. We need someone we can trust.

Frazier is FB. If they could use him in that role as a lead blocker that's his forte. He's been great for an accessional catch, but the numbers play out that the staff is not goin to throw to him a lot.

So Falo and Cotton both told scout they were a package deal. I wonder which one has more pull in the decision. I just hope that NJ is putting in work with his brother.

Prior to this season, he basically caught everything thrown to him. Thats what I mean by adequate.

Unless you count the ones he dropped, like the pass off his hands in the Hawaii game that turned into an INT. Frazier has not shown ability as a pass catcher other than occasionally being lobbed the ball on a short pass for which fake run action has left him uncovered. He's a very good lead blocker, a good pass protector and is fairly athletic. But the perception people have of him versus the actual production or successful opportunities is skewed more than any player on the roster. Except for maybe Adkins. Probably because when the team was horrible in 2013 and 2014, anyone who made positive plays stood out so much they're ingrained in our memories.

Unless you count the ones he dropped, like the pass off his hands in the Hawaii game that turned into an INT. Frazier has not shown ability as a pass catcher other than occasionally being lobbed the ball on a short pass for which fake run action has left him uncovered. He's a very good lead blocker, a good pass protector and is fairly athletic. But the perception people have of him versus the actual production or successful opportunities is skewed more than any player on the roster. Except for maybe Adkins. Probably because when the team was horrible in 2013 and 2014, anyone who made positive plays stood out so much they're ingrained in our memories.
Nah, Adkins was much more productive than George on his opportunities.

I'm flabbergasted that Frazier and Irwin would represent anyone's idea of "pretty good" TEs. I must have been watching completely different guys than you.

Falo would represent a HUGE upgrade at a position that could make this offense so much more versatile and dangerous. Absolutely HUGE upgrade.

I'm flabbergasted that Frazier and Irwin would represent anyone's idea of "pretty good" TEs. I must have been watching completely different guys than you.

Falo would represent a HUGE upgrade at a position that could make this offense so much more versatile and dangerous. Absolutely HUGE upgrade.

To be fair, they're both very good players. Irwin had a great season, in particular.

Where people are wrong is in thinking that either should be catching 20 or 30 balls a year. It makes no sense to target one of them over one of our WRs or RBs.

alo would represent a HUGE upgrade at a position that could make this offense so much more versatile and dangerous. Absolutely HUGE upgrade.
This! Our O next year will be scary good if Falo plays a big part in it. Doesn't TTU's O use TEs a lot? That's what I want here.

To be fair, they're both very good players. Irwin had a great season, in particular.

Where people are wrong is in thinking that either should be catching 20 or 30 balls a year. It makes no sense to target one of them over one of our WRs or RBs.
Irwin had a great season?!?! Unless the CU end of the year stats are wrong, he didn't catch a single ball this year.

Look, I know more goes into being a good TE than catching passes, but our 4 TEs (Irwin, Frazier, Keeney, and Hill) combined for 2 catches, 12 yards and 1 TD on the season. THE ENTIRE SEASON.

Alex Kelley, our center, had more touchdowns this year than 3 scholarship TEs. That's about as awful as it gets.

Irwin had a great season?!?! Unless the CU end of the year stats are wrong, he didn't catch a single ball this year.

Look, I know more goes into being a good TE than catching passes, but our 4 TEs (Irwin, Frazier, Keeney, and Hill) combined for 2 catches, 12 yards and 1 TD on the season. THE ENTIRE SEASON.

Alex Kelley, our center, had more touchdowns this year than 3 scholarship TEs. That's about as awful as it gets.

Yes. Within his role, he had a great season. Big reason we had a 1,000 yard rusher, the QB power worked so well and the Buffs weren't exposed in pass protection with a less than ideal situation at RT.

Yes. Within his role, he had a great season. Big reason we had a 1,000 yard rusher, the QB power worked so well and the Buffs weren't exposed in pass protection with a less than ideal situation at RT.
Sounds like he has a good year for a fullback or reserve lineman, not a TE. Sorry, I just don't think you can go the entire season as a TE without catching a pass and call it a "great season".

If you never (rarely) pass to the TE, yet you have one on the field, it's wasting an eligible receiver, which allows the defense to completely ignore covering that spot and instead focus on the other eligible receivers. While the TE on our team did their job blocking, catching deficiencies handcuffed the offense, making it easier for defenses to know who to key on.

Having a pass catching TE who can also block will give so many more options in the passing game and also make things much more difficult for opposing defenses. It's hard to say the TE position did well this year. It's like a RB who can't block, or a QB who can run but not pass, or a kicker who...you know...

Josh Falo would make our offense better and would be an excellent addition to the team. He's at the top of my wish list.

Good post @GoonieBuff . This is why Falo is such a big recruit. His talent would significantly expand the offense and bring in all the stuff that was successful at SJSU when Lindgren & MacIntyre had a receiving TE there.

Back