What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 TRNFR PG Kendall Smith (Committed to Oklahoma State)

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
247sports

Kendall+Smith+Nebraska+Omaha+v+UNLV+BFeJ042v6jNl.jpg

Cal State Northridge

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ken2smoove

Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 190 lbs

Rivals rating (HS): 3*; unranked PG
Scout rating (HS): 3*; unranked PG
ESPN rating (HS): 4*-82 grade; #21 PG (#88 overall)
247sports rating (HS): 3*; #56 PG (#232 overall)

Reported visits: Colorado (4/19), Oklahoma St (4/28), Butler (5/5)
Also considering: Cal, NC State

Last edited by a moderator:

Workhorse for CSUN last two years. High usage, high shooting guard. GREAT assist rate (28.0 - 107th in the nation) with a good TORate (16.3). Doesn't get called for fouls, but gets fouled a lot and gets to the line. OK, not great shooter. Good ORtg. Started out at UNLV and transferred after sophomore year. Only played 2 games for the Rebels his sophomore year, got hurt and then left the team after sitting out a few games.

16.7 ppg, 4.8 apg, 4.0 rpg last year.

Yes please.

Seems like he would immediately step in and start. That's some good competition, too. Would we take another guard along with him? Maybe a prep guard?

Seems like he would immediately step in and start. That's some good competition, too. Would we take another guard along with him? Maybe a prep guard?

We had 2 guards transfer and graduated 2 guards. I expect it to be 2 guards signed this spring. Could be a prep and a vet, for sure.

This kid is a legit player, I've been following news on him ever since all of this broke-out with Akyazili and Peters. I really hope they get him! This is the one I've personally been excited about. Furthermore, I might even consider, because of the "horses that will be in the barn", picking up another really good PG (there are several looking and available) transfer who won't necessarily be available to play next year. He can sit and grow and develop with what will be a pretty young team following next season.

This kid is a legit player, I've been following news on him ever since all of this broke-out with Akyazili and Peters. I really hope they get him! This is the one I've personally been excited about. Furthermore, I might even consider, because of the "horses that will be in the barn", picking up another really good PG (there are several looking and available) transfer who won't necessarily be available to play next year. He can sit and grow and develop with what will be a pretty young team following next season.
I'm with you. My OP in the Tad Grad Transfer thread closed with Kendall Smith as my favorite guy out there even though, at the time, there was no indication that CU was interested. He'd be a perfect fit for CU's needs.

My main concern, though, would be a back court of Smith and Wright would not exactly shoot the lights out from deep. They're both good enough to keep defenses honest (i.e., not cheat off of them), but they're not sharp shooters. Would be kind of an unusual setup since our 3pt shooters would be at the wing with King and at the 4 with Siewert while our guards were more drive & draw guys. Could work, though. Teams would have to break their defensive tendencies to deal with such an unorthodox offensive flow.

I'm with you. My OP in the Tad Grad Transfer thread closed with Kendall Smith as my favorite guy out there even though, at the time, there was no indication that CU was interested. He'd be a perfect fit for CU's needs.

My main concern, though, would be a back court of Smith and Wright would not exactly shoot the lights out from deep. They're both good enough to keep defenses honest (i.e., not cheat off of them), but they're not sharp shooters. Would be kind of an unusual setup since our 3pt shooters would be at the wing with King and at the 4 with Siewert while our guards were more drive & draw guys. Could work, though. Teams would have to break their defensive tendencies to deal with such an unorthodox offensive flow.
Sounds ok to me. Especially if you take Collier off the bench with 20 or so minutes a game. If you stagger lineups, there will be more than enough firepower from the outside

One of these days, Boyle will figure out how to properly replace what Tom Abatemarco brought to the table.

One of these days, Boyle will figure out how to properly replace what Tom Abatemarco brought to the table.
Frustrating that Kendall Smith won't visit, but I'd argue that Schwartz/Battey/Bey is good evidence that Boyle replaced what Abatemarco brought.

Abatemarco was the lead recruiter on XJ only, if I'm not mistaken. The rumors of him being the guy on Dre, Spencer, and Ski are wrong.

There's an overblown myth of Coach A.

I do think something he brought that we haven't had is an assistant with the same level of 24/7 passion for recruiting.

Tads Boyle is just grasping at straws. He is so far behind the curve in college basketball with an unwillingness to improve his mediocre assistant coaches, missing the boat on the importance of recruiting graduate transfers and jucos, and virtually no understanding of the importance of social media in recruiting.

CU needs to move a different direction; instead they extend him another year. .

Well, that blows. I'm guessing this wasn't a mutual decision. What are our other options for an instant impact guard? That's two grad transfer guards now that have made plans to be in Boulder only to not come

Well, that blows. I'm guessing this wasn't a mutual decision. What are our other options for an instant impact guard? That's two grad transfer guards now that have made plans to be in Boulder only to not come
I'm starting to think that they are looking harder at preps now with McKinley Wright, Jalon Pipkins and Jermaine Jackson.

Another PG that I've personally had some interest in is "Trey Dickerson", a transfer from South Dakota. He may not be the highest rated option but would come in as a RS JR and be available to play next year. He would give CU a nice dribble drive/slash option (breaking defenses down) at the guard position, fulfilling that roll for the departed Peters. He has speed, is a good foul shooter and is an avg/good 3pt threat. I just don't know if CU recognizes him or not.

Trey Dickerson 6'1" 180 (10.4ppg : 2.2 rpg : 2.4 apg : 40.4% FG : 73.0% FT : 33.3% 3Pt)

http://www.goyotes.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8397

Abatemarco was the lead recruiter on XJ only, if I'm not mistaken. The rumors of him being the guy on Dre, Spencer, and Ski are wrong.
There's an overblown myth of Coach A.

I do think something he brought that we haven't had is an assistant with the same level of 24/7 passion for recruiting.
I was going some place else with that post. Tom A had a reputation of a certain style of recruiting. It seems like we haven't adopted it, yet.

Oklahoma State already got guard Michael Weathers, the transfer from Miami (OH). Mid-American Freshman of the year.

Sucks we couldn't even get a visit from Kendall.

Oklahoma State already got guard Michael Weathers, the transfer from Miami (OH). Mid-American Freshman of the year.

Sucks we couldn't even get a visit from Kendall.
Yeah this kinda hurts. But I think most of the high end talent grad transfers are looking to get on a team where they can compete for or get past the sweet 16.

I don't much about next year's OK State team, but if you look at the Buffs here's what we've got. George King, some highly touted freshman, and a lot of question marks.

Hopefully Tad can get a tandem in here for immediat help.

Back