What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 CA DT Justin Kakala (Verbal to Harvard)

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

6301471_3cd86f143ecd485bb6df431e7250ea65.jpg

Manteca H.S. (Manteca, CA)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ft_kakala / https://twitter.com/jeeezyjay

Ht: 6'4"
Wt: 270
40:

247s rating: 3*-85 grade; #65 DT
ESPN rating: 2*-69 grade; #105 DT

Rivals rating: 2*-5.4rr; unranked DT

247s Composite: 3* / 0.8305 / #109 DT / #1504 overall

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Cal, Harvard

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Adams & Chev leading the recruiting effort.

Might be a guy who blows up this spring/summer. Would be nice if @KyleM. took a break from organizing his stamp collection and got Kakala on the phone. :whistle:

Looks like Adams & Chev leading the recruiting effort.

Might be a guy who blows up this spring/summer. Would be nice if @KyleM. took a break from organizing his stamp collection and got Kakala on the phone. :whistle:
Left a couple messages for him and DM'd his mom on Twitter. I live a glamorous life and have a weird relationship with high school kids voicemail.

Flipped from Cal to Harvard this week. That's got to sting for the Bears.

Cal is a great school academically but for a kid who's focus is on getting an education you can't argue with getting Harvard on that piece of paper.

Harvard is a great choice...most of the value IMHO is the chance to build a killer Rolodex.

You guys realize that Cal is the #3 university in the world (ARWU)? They should never lose a recruit for the reasons you cite.

You guys realize that Cal is the #3 university in the world (ARWU)? They should never lose a recruit for the reasons you cite.

I think @Bufffan68 hits it on the head. Yes Cal is right up among the elites. Some other list have them lower but not a lot.

There is no place though like Harvard for building those connections, for placing yourself solidly in among the world leaders in politics, in business, in the highest social circles. How many POTUS are Cal grads, members of SCOTUS, Fortune 500 CEOs.

Cal has some tremendously successful alums but Harvard is a whole other world in terms of who you get to know.

Thanks @MtnBuff for more clearly articulating my point than I could. I might put Stanford in the league w Ivy schools as far as connection etc, but every president and CEO seems to come from the elite eastern schools. May not stand up to scrutiny but that's the perception IMO.

Thanks @MtnBuff for more clearly articulating my point than I could. I might put Stanford in the league w Ivy schools as far as connection etc, but every president and CEO seems to come from the elite eastern schools. May not stand up to scrutiny but that's the perception IMO.

Whatever, guys. This is a bad miss for Cal and it should not happen.

Harvard does build a great Rolodex, but the most important part of that is where you see yourself living. If Manhattan, Harvard is a clear #1. If West Coast, not so much.
One of my former co-workers got his MBA at Harvard after working in the technical world in Silicon Valley for about 4 years. He regretted mightily as he always intended to move back to California. His Harvard connections in Silicon Valley were pretty useless.

Last edited:
Do the Ivy's even give full athletic scholarships? If he passed up a full ride to Cal in order to pay his own way at Harvard then lol at Cal.

Do the Ivy's even give full athletic scholarships? If he passed up a full ride to Cal in order to pay his own way at Harvard then lol at Cal.
They give out needs based scholarships that are technically available to any prospective student. They are often used to pay for student athletes.
Places like Harvard have such enormous endowments that they could give scholarships to every kid who gains admission.

Edit: or what holic said.

Back