What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 TN CB Rayshad Williams (Verbal to Vanderbilt)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

4_5161842.jpg

Whitehaven HS (Memphis, TN)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/WilliamsRayshad

Ht: 6'4"
Wt: 175
40:

247s rating: 3*-86 grade; #76 CB
ESPN rating: 3*-78 grade; #52 CB
Rivals rating: 3*-5.5rr; #44 CB

247sports Composite: 3* / 0.8709 / #56 CB / #609 overall

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Arkansas, Memphis, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to wonder if 6'4" is legit. That's starting to press the limits on a CB, IMO.

Haven't been many CBs that tall who were successful. Only one I can remember (and my memory isn't great) was Lenny Walls who played for the Broncos for 3 years and hung in the league a few more years.

It would be great if you could get a guy with CB skills and that height. Have to wonder if they don't have the idea of eventually filling him out and playing him at safety.

Haven't been many CBs that tall who were successful. Only one I can remember (and my memory isn't great) was Lenny Walls who played for the Broncos for 3 years and hung in the league a few more years.

It would be great if you could get a guy with CB skills and that height. Have to wonder if they don't have the idea of eventually filling him out and playing him at safety.
There are only 2 CBs currently in the NFL, who are 6'4" and only a handful more that are 6'3". Scout has him listed at 6'3" and 185lbs, so there's obviously a discrepancy here. Regardless, I will never question MM's judgement when it comes to DBs, so bring it on.

That's my guess but ya never know.

Would this conversation be happening if I'd chosen to list him at 6'3" like most sites have him instead of the 6'4" he put in his hudl profile?

Whole lotta concern over a very minor thing, imo.

There are only 2 CBs currently in the NFL, who are 6'4" and only a handful more that are 6'3". Scout has him listed at 6'3" and 185lbs, so there's obviously a discrepancy here. Regardless, I will never question MM's judgement when it comes to DBs, so bring it on.

This part keeps proving true. With the state of the program when he came in how many people would imagine that we would have 3 DBs as likely picks in the top half of the draft.

Would this conversation be happening if I'd chosen to list him at 6'3" like most sites have him instead of the 6'4" he put in his hudl profile?

A lot of recruiting experts on here.

I'm not concerned about it at all. Whatever position fits him best is all I care about. If it's corner, so be it.

There are a lot of things we discuss about recruits that are far more insignificant than a CB who is listed at 6'4", nik. That's why I asked the initial question about his height being legit. I think that's a valid question to ask and a valid piece of the evaluation process. It's no different than people questioning whether an OL prospect can realistically play LT because he's 6'3" and not 6'4" or 6'5".

There are a lot of things we discuss about recruits that are far more insignificant than a CB who is listed at 6'4", nik. That's why I asked the initial question about his height being legit. I think that's a valid question to ask and a valid piece of the evaluation process. It's no different than people questioning whether an OL prospect can realistically play LT because he's 6'3" and not 6'4" or 6'5".

Agree with TScheck on this on.

Nobody is saying he can't play CB, he only pointed out that his height is unusual for the position which is a legit point of conversation.

I also agree with him completely in saying that if M2 thinks he can play DB for us I'm fine with that. He has proven that he knows what he is looking for.

Sure. It's a fair question. 6'4" is the upper end of where he might measure.

I'd submit that in this era of football where we are seeing the success of bigger WRs the natural extension of that is that defenses need CBs who can cover those guys. Especially since there's so much throwing guys open to spots now. Length from a CB is at a premium. CU has been ahead of the game on this.

Sure. It's a fair question. 6'4" is the upper end of where he might measure.

I'd submit that in this era of football where we are seeing the success of bigger WRs the natural extension of that is that defenses need CBs who can cover those guys. Especially since there's so much throwing guys open to spots now. Length from a CB is at a premium. CU has been ahead of the game on this.
That's clearly where the position is trending, but the law of diminishing returns comes into play at some point. There are only a "handful" of human beings on this planet that possess the same close proximity agility, explosiveness, footwork, etc at 6'4 that the same caliber athlete has at 5'10 or even 6'0. Even at 6'3", I think it's still a valid question to ask (9 NFL CBs listed at 6'3"). The kid has a solid offer list and Mac's DB evaluation skills are impeccable, so I'm perfectly fine with it, but it's not a minor thing.

That's clearly where the position is trending, but the law of diminishing returns comes into play at some point. There are only a "handful" of human beings on this planet that possess the same close proximity agility, explosiveness, footwork, etc at 6'4 that the same caliber athlete has at 5'10 or even 6'0. Even at 6'3", I think it's still a valid question to ask (9 NFL CBs listed at 6'3"). The kid has a solid offer list and Mac's DB evaluation skills are impeccable, so I'm perfectly fine with it, but it's not a minor thing.

Sure. It's kind of like the basketball recruiting with PGs. Everyone would love to have a 6'4" or 6'5" guy like Spencer Dinwiddie but it's easier to find the basic skills with someone a few inches shorter. I like that CU is targeting those taller CBs and has made a name for itself of being great at developing those guys into NFL prospects. But, like any program, we still see the bulk of our offers for guys who aren't as tall but we skew into the 6'0" to 6'2" range at CB whereas other programs offer a lot of jitterbugs in the 5'9" area.

And unless the guy just can't catch if he is 6'3" and has that kind of athletic ability most coaches are going to use him on offense.

Sean Smith comes to mind when I think tall CB's. He's one of the best most underrated CB's in the NFL. Witherspoon was 6'3" and the guy they just got Kevin George is 6'3" I think it's clear what Mac likes in CB's. Ronnie Blackmon is the exception.

Take the shortest height listed, convert to inches..Subtract 1-2%.
Scout has 6'3"?
That's 75". Subtract .75. Leaving 6'2.25" at most.

No controversy!

Didn't make his top 5 but he included us in his teams he's also "very interested" in.

Back