What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 CO WDE Tate Wildeman (Signed to Nebraska)

This guy could play in a 3-4, frankly embarrassing that we let a good looking prospect go so easily. Maybe he ends up doing nothing but definitely a head scratcher imo.

I've watched a lot of DL footage. He's worthy of a scholarship, hence why Iowa, Nebraska, ASU, offered. Baffling that we did not and something I think will be a mistake but time will tell.

4 Technique is playing DE on head up, or inside shade of OT. He's 6'6", 240, athletic, lots of room to get bigger. Those who think tall guys can't play DE in a 3-4 are painfully mistaken. Malik Jackson for the Broncos was 6'5", 290. Derek Wolfe is 6'5", 285. That's exactly the size you want to have there. He's going to redshirt, gain weight and make an impact around his sophomore year.

If ASU offered, that's validation!

Seriously, the kid can be a stud if he can pack it on. He's skinny now and that's the risk/reward. If he can get to 280, he could have a high ceiling.

I've watched a lot of DL footage. He's worthy of a scholarship, hence why Iowa, Nebraska, ASU, offered. Baffling that we did not and something I think will be a mistake but time will tell.

4 Technique is playing DE on head up, or inside shade of OT. He's 6'6", 240, athletic, lots of room to get bigger. Those who think tall guys can't play DE in a 3-4 are painfully mistaken. Malik Jackson for the Broncos was 6'5", 290. Derek Wolfe is 6'5", 285. That's exactly the size you want to have there. He's going to redshirt, gain weight and make an impact around his sophomore year.
Height isn't the issue here dude. Mac wants 300 lbers or close at all 3 spots. This kid is never getting close to that and maintaining any athleticism.

Yeah and how do you validate the assessment of that? And, our guys last year were not athletic. They were big. They weren't quick or fast.

Samson Kafovalu as a freshman - 6'3", 250lbs. Guys gain weight when they get in college. Wildeman will as well. Just not in Boulder which is unfortunate. Nebraska/Iowa and even ASU have a better track record of recruits and developing them heading towards the pros so while that may not impress you that they have offered this guy, it holds more weight than our recent recruiting lately.

Yeah and how do you validate the assessment of that? And, our guys last year were not athletic. They were big. They weren't quick or fast.

Samson Kafovalu as a freshman - 6'3", 250lbs. Guys gain weight when they get in college. Wildeman will as well. Just not in Boulder which is unfortunate. Nebraska/Iowa and even ASU have a better track record of recruits and developing them heading towards the pros so while that may not impress you that they have offered this guy, it holds more weight than our recent recruiting lately.
This is the stuff I was talking about where locals hype up local kids. Wildeman will never be a major contributor, and I'm glad we aren't taking him. He's the type of guy I'd be fine with getting an 11th hour emergency offer and nothing more.

This is the stuff I was talking about where locals hype up local kids. Wildeman will never be a major contributor, and I'm glad we aren't taking him. He's the type of guy I'd be fine with getting an 11th hour emergency offer and nothing more.

Anyone who is overly worried about this one just needs to look at the Pine Creek kids from the last couple years who have gone to Nebraska. This isn't saying they are bad kids or bad players but I haven't seen them on the all-conference or all-American list either.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is give the local kid the courtesy of looking at his film, bringing him in for an unofficial or even an official visit, you might even make an offer. You also make sure that you are trying to recruit over him at the same time.

Wildeman may turn out to be a solid player. Hopefully the guy we take in his place and who we are putting the effort into is better than a solid player.

And some people from out of Colorado put down in state kids with multiple good offers. The university is in Colorado - most fans and potential fans like that connection.

This guy could play in a 3-4, frankly embarrassing that we let a good looking prospect go so easily. Maybe he ends up doing nothing but definitely a head scratcher imo.

Why are you embarrassed (your words) that we have thus far not offered this kid?
You then go on to say you aren't sure he's any good.
Puzzling.

What I will say is this... This is a small class. We can't be taking any more questionable commits until the last minute at this point.

This,

We aren't just trying to be decent anymore, the standard is now to be competing for a spot in the CCG.

We aren't going to sneak up on anyone from now on, we have to be recruiting the kind of talent top to bottom that will let us perform at that level.

Even among the best prospects you get kids who don't turn out, you can't afford to take guys that you "hope" can contribute just because they are local.

And after posting I realized that this probably isn't the best place for this. Hopefully @Buffnik will move this post and a number of preceding post to his new Colorado recruits thread, better place for it.

I will never question this staffs evaluation on a player. They've done a great job turning 2 stars into 4 stars. They've earned the benefit of the doubt.

I hope Tate has a good experience at Nebraska. Only because he's from colorado!

Most fans like 10+ win seasons with the best players no matter where they played prep ball. Taking CO kids because they are from CO is not a winning formula.
Going hard after the right Colorado kids and 10-plus win seasons aren't mutually exclusive. Bill McCartney had lots of Colorado kids contributing on his teams.

Bringing up ASU as some kind of defensive standard bearer is really funny. Actually, the same can be said for Nebraska. These aren't defensive powerhouses we are talking about. I think OSU just scored on Nebraska again.

Anyone who is overly worried about this one just needs to look at the Pine Creek kids from the last couple years who have gone to Nebraska. This isn't saying they are bad kids or bad players but I haven't seen them on the all-conference or all-American list either.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is give the local kid the courtesy of looking at his film, bringing him in for an unofficial or even an official visit, you might even make an offer. You also make sure that you are trying to recruit over him at the same time.

Wildeman may turn out to be a solid player. Hopefully the guy we take in his place and who we are putting the effort into is better than a solid player.

To be fair , JoJo was one of 4 true freshman to play and contribute last year. Has a chance to start this season. Avery redshirted and also time in a handful of games as a rs-FR

To be fair , JoJo was one of 4 true freshman to play and contribute last year. Has a chance to start this season. Avery redshirted and also time in a handful of games as a rs-FR

It may have been out of necessity. There was an earlier post in another thread that caused me to go look. A lot of concern among the fuskers fans about DB depth, they are hoping and expecting to recruit over the guys they currently have.

Now if I could have the Pine Creek kid who went to Arizona State I would take him in an instant. I think that Ballage is going to have to at least have some thoughts that he should have stayed home. The SunDevils are a mess and he has to look at our depth chart and know that he could have been a star on a winning team.

It may have been out of necessity. There was an earlier post in another thread that caused me to go look. A lot of concern among the fuskers fans about DB depth, they are hoping and expecting to recruit over the guys they currently have.

Now if I could have the Pine Creek kid who went to Arizona State I would take him in an instant. I think that Ballage is going to have to at least have some thoughts that he should have stayed home. The SunDevils are a mess and he has to look at our depth chart and know that he could have been a star on a winning team.

I'm not sure where you and others going with all of your posts. I think generally, we all agree that recruiting primarily CO kids is not the way to build a top 25, needless to say top 10, program. Some of you don't think Wildeman should have gotten an offer - okay, fair. However, there is a strong counter-argument based on his film (I"m not a paid scout, but he seems decent) and other schools' offers. In this back and forth, some of these posts degrade CO football talent more than perhaps what I think you are intending. We as a fanbase would have loved Jojo, Avery, etc. Trying to retroactively state they aren't solid power conference players is ridiculous. Prospects don't pan out all the time, but to try to make that determination after two years is trigger-happy.

Best of luck to Wildeman as a person...**** Nebraska though. Go Buffs, and I hope all CO HS kids that can play PAC 12 football at a solid level get an offer and end up at CU. We do not want to be a program that completely ignores in-state talent, and then wonder local support isn't that high. I'm NOT saying Mac and staff are doing that, but I am saying your posts could indicate you prefer that. The "could" gets strengthened with the more posts written that lessen CO football. We all know CO is not a hotbed. If you're arguing that guys like Domann, Lee, Anderson (forget which of Lee and Anderson didn't actually get offered, to the surprise of many), should not have received a scholarship offer in the first place... ...I think you're looking down on CO HS talent more than necessary.

actually jojo blew his knee and is done for the season.

CU needs to recruit CO prep players, the best of them. Typically between 2 and 5 guys a year. Sure, some guys have upside surprise, thank God for Lindsay. But for every hidden gem like Lindsay, we see a lot of guys like guys like Orms that don't belong in the Pac-12.

Colorado HS football is greatly improved over what it was 15 or 20 years ago. The state is growing at a 100,000 per year clip. Just by osmosis, Colorado HS football will continue to improve. Of course, it will be incremental improvement. And HS football seems to be changing at a national level with more and more games on espn and more and more teams, including Colorado teams, traveling out of state. I'm not sure how much this changing dynamic plays into recruiting and how that relates to CU.

Why are you embarrassed (your words) that we have thus far not offered this kid?
You then go on to say you aren't sure he's any good.
Puzzling.

First off, the kid has talent. Watch his videos. He looks like a really good prospect. I'm not a fan of offering in state guys just to offer in state guys. Previous coaches did that. Wildeman has size, length, speed around the edge, things that are coveted in a great defense and he has the body to add weight. I'm embarrassed we didn't offer him when a bunch of other major conferences and schools did. He's in our backyard after all.

I went on to say, i'm not sure where he ends up at the end of the day. I think he's a good talent. Lots of those talents never hit their potential. Most extreme case is like a Darrell Scott. Time will tell if this coaching staff made the right decision to not offer.

Back