What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 CO WDE Tate Wildeman (Signed to Nebraska)

CU needs to recruit CO prep players, the best of them. Typically between 2 and 5 guys a year. Sure, some guys have upside surprise, thank God for Lindsay. But for every hidden gem like Lindsay, we see a lot of guys like guys like Orms that don't belong in the Pac-12.

Orms absolutely belonged in the Pac-12. He was a wrecking crew in practices during his first 15 months on campus but then suffered a torn ACL on the fourth play of his college career, while running down on coverage on special teams, and was never quite the same after that.

But in terms of in-state recruiting, I agree... some years there are five P5 caliber recruits in the state, some years a few more, but obviously need the vast majority to come from California and Texas.

Last edited:
First off, the kid has talent. Watch his videos. He looks like a really good prospect. I'm not a fan of offering in state guys just to offer in state guys. Previous coaches did that. Wildeman has size, length, speed around the edge, things that are coveted in a great defense and he has the body to add weight. I'm embarrassed we didn't offer him when a bunch of other major conferences and schools did. He's in our backyard after all.

I went on to say, i'm not sure where he ends up at the end of the day. I think he's a good talent. Lots of those talents never hit their potential. Most extreme case is like a Darrell Scott. Time will tell if this coaching staff made the right decision to not offer.

BTW, I agree with your assessment that the kid has size and athletic ability. Very intriguing prospect. In fact, our staff was looking at him carefully as well, so they are obviously intrigued. But they also don't have unlimited scholarship offers, nor do they run the exact system that those who've offered run. So at the end of the day, we did not offer (yet) and others did. Yes, time will tell. They've been right a LOT! They will not always be right, because projecting a kid at this age is not a perfect science. Nebraska and Iowa won't be right on all of them either. BTW, I'm told the kid does not weigh close to 240, so we are looking at 50-60 lb of lean muscle increase.

And you are embarrassed? SMH on that one!

It's weird too how late Iowa was with an offer considering he's a legacy AND they run a 4-3. Iowa is one of those teams I majorly trust with either side of the line offers.

He was supposed to visit Iowa after Nebraska but in his commitment article, he essentially said that Iowa was too late and didn't seem to care like Nebraska did.

We as a fanbase would have loved JoJo

If you're arguing that guys like Domann, Lee, Anderson (forget which of Lee and Anderson didn't actually get offered, to the surprise of many), should not have received a scholarship offer in the first place

I agree with most of what you wrote, although the fan base in the end will support a winner. We could field a team from Australia and if they win, that's all that matters.

I don't agree with the 3 players cited here. JoJo was always a tweener and I, and others, always questioned his ceiling. Anderson was never offered and nobody cared. He can't play for the Buffs. Lee was targeted, but was a Husker from day 1.

Honestly feel Mac did better oos.

As for '17, the class has depth and I am fine with taking a couple more.

I agree with most of what you wrote, although the fan base in the end will support a winner. We could field a team from Australia and if they win, that's all that matters.

I don't agree with the 3 players cited here. JoJo was always a tweener and I, and others, always questioned his ceiling. Anderson was never offered and nobody cared. He can't play for the Buffs. Lee was targeted, but was a Husker from day 1.

Honestly feel Mac did better oos.

As for '17, the class has depth and I am fine with taking a couple more.

Fair, and reading back on the thread, perhaps I read more of an attack at CO players than warranted. Your personal position on the three players aside, the general mood of the board in my recollection was high on Lee, Avery and JoJo. I don't remember exactly who said what from when they were seniors, but I think if we got Lee and Jojo, the fanbase would have been pleased. You, Buffnik, Tshekler, Duff, TD, etc. may be more consistent in your evaluations of players, holding true to your opinions. However, there is a general positive disposition towards prospects that are CO's radar, love for them if they commit, and also negativity towards them if they do not. All of this is fair, but I do sometimes get annoyed with the negativity. Just because they chose a different school doesn't mean they all of the sudden are worse players. Again, generally speaking, not you specifically.

Fair, and reading back on the thread, perhaps I read more of an attack at CO players than warranted. Your personal position on the three players aside, the general mood of the board in my recollection was high on Lee, Avery and JoJo. I don't remember exactly who said what from when they were seniors, but I think if we got Lee and Jojo, the fanbase would have been pleased. You, Buffnik, Tshekler, Duff, TD, etc. may be more consistent in your evaluations of players, holding true to your opinions. However, there is a general positive disposition towards prospects that are CO's radar, love for them if they commit, and also negativity towards them if they do not. All of this is fair, but I do sometimes get annoyed with the negativity. Just because they chose a different school doesn't mean they all of the sudden are worse players. Again, generally speaking, not you specifically.
If CU was running a 4-3 or 4-2-5 base, Wildeman would have been very high on my wish list. I'm not sure that a 3-4 system is a good fit for him and I actually believe he made a bad decision on what would be the best path for his own success and NFL chances by committing to Diaco's system being implemented at NU. He's not a 2-point stance guy and I think his talent is wasted if he's asked to catch and neutralize an OT in the way that Samson Kafovalu was used in a 3-4 scheme.

If CU was running a 4-3 or 4-2-5 base, Wildeman would have been very high on my wish list. I'm not sure that a 3-4 system is a good fit for him and I actually believe he made a bad decision on what would be the best path for his own success and NFL chances by committing to Diaco's system being implemented at NU. He's not a 2-point stance guy and I think his talent is wasted if he's asked to catch and neutralize an OT in the way that Samson Kafovalu was used in a 3-4 scheme.

First, I read that knu wants him to play the 4-5 tech...not a 2 point stance. That aside, I guess I look at this a bit differently than most on here as it relates to "fitting into a system". Wildeman is obviously athletic, has fluid hips, plays with good leverage and seems to have a great motor ....attributes that are NEVER a bad thing in a prospect. The question then becomes weight, and I think he has the frame to fill into and easily be 280 lbs+. That is a prototypical NFL build for a 4-5 tech DE. Explosive, good hips, long arms to set the edge and get off blocks.

Where I disagree with the above statement is in the idea that his talents would be wasted in a 3-4....learn to play and be effective in a 3-4, none of the other attributes go away, and you're a highly sought after NFL prospect because you can play in both the 3-4 or the 4-3.

I have not understood the lack of recruitment by CU of Wildeman, but I wonder if it has to do with MMac's propensity to recruit players that can fit somewhere into both sides of the ball. i.e. you don't work out on Defense, let's try you on Offense. It acts as an insurance policy, and this staff has been quite effective at it. Problem with Wildeman is that if he doesn't fill out to be 280+, he then most natural fits in as a prototypical in-line TE that can run. We don't really use that position in our offense.....maybe that is why? I am grasping at straws here to understand why we didn't offer this kid.

This has nothing to do with whether he can play offense or not. Coaches evaluated and saw a long muscled guy who fit a 4-3 DE rather than a heavy based guy who fit a 3-4 DT/DE role. Diaco's 3-4 "No Crease Defense" is a bit different than CU's 3-4 Under, so maybe he was a better fit for what they're doing. I want the kid to be successful and I also don't want CU recruiting guys who don't fit our system and then spend years struggling to find situational playing time (Coleman, Mathewes, etc.).

However, there is a general positive disposition towards prospects that are CO's radar, love for them if they commit, and also negativity towards them if they do not.

True. It is also true for every single fan base of every single football program.

Everyone here thinks the kid is a fantastic athlete. I'm completely with Nik on this one though. We were interested, but didn't offer. Doesn't mean the kid isn't a P5 football player. Mac himself would tell you that for every kid he signs there's 2 more that he couldn't sign that he'd have liked to. It varies from year to year, what the needs are and scholarships available, as well as what scheme we are running now, not to mention 3-4 years from now.

Would've liked to have the guy but if he doesn't fit the system you run, it's better he went elsewhere. Jmho.

I get the none fit in a 3-4 defense, but for a team that lacks playmakers on the DL to not even offer an in-state kid who has options like Nebraska, Iowa, Washington State, Kansas State and Arizona State seems like a bold move.
My thoughts exactly. If we were in on better options for the DL I would be fine with this, but to miss on everyone and then not even offer Wildeman is suspect.

Plus his goddamn name is Wildeman!!

Wonder if they still want him there? Appears they play a 3-4 as did Diaco. UCF had a lot of very athletic defensive recruits. I know this kid is pretty quick but I'm not sure he will fit.

And that's a good offer list but not a four star list. Wonder if he will reconsider Iowa offer. Still don't see how this kid fits a 3-4 D.

Last edited:
Really wish Wildeman would flip last minute to Iowa!!!
he-ll-flip-ya.gif

Back