What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 TNFR QB Jalen Hurts (Committed to Oklahoma)

You don’t burn a year of eligibility when you’re in a transfer year. He would have two to play two at his next school.

Alabama won’t permit him to RS if he stays. He will be the backup only and lose this year by staying.

By leaving after graduating, he’d have one to play one.
Wrong

You don’t burn a year of eligibility when you’re in a transfer year. He would have two to play two at his next school.

Alabama won’t permit him to RS if he stays. He will be the backup only and lose this year by staying.

By leaving after graduating, he’d have one to play one.

So take two more years to graduate when he’s 3 months away?

I have heard nobody explain it as you do. Nobody.

Doesn't the school have to designate him? It's not his choice, right?
I suppose that is true. Wouldn't surprise me if that is the way Saban convinced him to stay this year. Not exactly sure how that works anymore with the new rule though.

Matt Jones???

Is this conversation from outer space?

You’re right. In choosing between hurts and mac jones, saban is going to choose jones.

Your opinion is from outer space. Hurts giving further power to saban over his competitive future while the backup is really quite crazy.

You’re right. In choosing between hurts and matt jones, saban is going to choose jones.

Your opinion is from outer space. Hurts giving further power to saban over his competitive future while the backup is really quite crazy.

Saban would be helping him by giving him a chance to play four games this year, then graduate, then play two full years.

Have you been keeping up with all the discussion about options for this situation?

This is so ridiculous, it’s fun.

Saban would be helping him by giving him a chance to play four games this year, then graduate, then play two full years.

Have you been keeping up with all the discussion about options for this situation?

This is so ridiculous, it’s fun.

I have. Saban has been explicit: Hurts will play throughout the season in package scenarios. It is clear that Hurts will be the backup.

Saban isn’t going to do Hurts any favors. Hurts is a cog in Saban’s millions of earnings and obsession with being the best coach in college football. Saban isn’t going to do what’s best for Hurts, unless those interests align with Saban’s.

In this case, it benefits Saban to not redshirt the player and have him as a competent backup and smaller contributor.

That you think you have the right side in this conversation is what’s comical.

Doesn't the school have to designate him? It's not his choice, right?
First question: No. If he plays in 4 or fewer games, he will still have 2 years of eligibility. There is no "designation" of a red shirt by him, the school, or anyone. He either plays in 4 or fewer or plays in 5 or more.

2nd: As long as he's on the team the school /coach could play him in as many or as few games as the coach wants according to the needs of the program.

It could work out that he only plays in 3 or 4 games this year, graduate and then have 2 to play 2 anywhere he wants.

It could also work out that he plays in 5 games this year and has 2 to play 1 anywhere he wants.

Regardless, his eligibility clock will in no way change the amount of playing time he gets this year. Nor should it.

I have. Saban has been explicit: Hurts will play throughout the season in package scenarios. It is clear that Hurts will be the backup.

Saban isn’t going to do Hurts any favors. Hurts is a cog in Saban’s millions of earnings and obsession with being the best coach in college football. Saban isn’t going to do what’s best for Hurts, unless those interests align with Saban’s.

In this case, it benefits Saban to not redshirt the player and have him as a competent backup and smaller contributor.

Who has said, like you, Hurts should transfer? Please list names of those that understand the situation the way you do.

Who has said, like you, Hurts should transfer? Please list names of those that understand the situation the way you do.

I don’t care if anyone else agrees with me or not. That doesn’t change the two realities here:

1. Staying at Bama this season, Hurts won’t redshirt. You magically think he will with literally no reasoning why.

2. Losing a year of college eligibility as a backup is bad for Hurts who’s unlikely to be an NFL prospect.

I don’t care if anyone else agrees with me or not. That doesn’t change the two realities here:

1. Staying at Bama this season, Hurts won’t redshirt. You magically think he will with literally no reasoning why.

2. Losing a year of college eligibility as a backup is bad for Hurts who’s unlikely to be an NFL prospect.
You do understand there was a new redshirt rule implemented for this season right?

Hurts could both redshirt, AND be available in a limited capacity should the back up QB be needed. Obviously if Tua is out for a long period of time, that goes out the window.

I don’t care if he redshirts or not. I simply say he is not going to transfer during this year.

He will not lose a year of eligibility. He will be a graduate transfer in December.

You do understand there was a new redshirt rule implemented for this season right?

Hurts could both redshirt, AND be available in a limited capacity should the back up QB be needed. Obviously if Tua is out for a long period of time, that goes out the window.

The coach decides.

Hurts is a package player for Bama and primary QB backup. If he stays, he will play in 5+ games even if Tua doesn’t get hurt. The new rule is irrelevant. Hurts is going to play. That backup experience will not be meaningful enough to overcome what being the full time starter would do. He has proven that he’s good enough to be a starter. Staying takes a full year away from his ability to start.

I don’t care if he redshirts or not. I simply say he is not going to transfer during this year.

He will not lose a year of eligibility. He will be a graduate transfer in December.

1. This is the crux of my argument. He won’t trasnfer this year. He should. You’ve conflated the two from the first posting.

2. He loses THIS YEAR of eligibility by playing as a backup and package player. It’s unclear to me why you don’t understand this.

I’ll move over if you want. Otherwise nothing more to say here.
1. This is the crux of my argument. He won’t trasnfer this year. He should. You’ve conflated the two from the first posting.

2. He loses THIS YEAR of eligibility by playing as a backup and package player. It’s unclear to me why you don’t understand this.[/QUO

This is the simple reality for Hurts, he plays for Saban.

If Saban thinks he can help even a little bit he will play. That may be just a few plays a game but Saban will not even consider how his use of Hurts impacts his eligibility in the future, especially if that future is likely with some other team.

There re plenty of could be's but as long as Saban is calling the shots it will be his way.

I’m not confusing the two. He won’t transfer. He shouldn’t transfer.

He won’t lose a year of eligibility. He’ll get his degree, possibly win a NC and play somewhere else next year.

This is the simple reality for Hurts, he plays for Saban.

If Saban thinks he can help even a little bit he will play. That may be just a few plays a game but Saban will not even consider how his use of Hurts impacts his eligibility in the future, especially if that future is likely with some other team.

There re plenty of could be's but as long as Saban is calling the shots it will be his way.

This is the point I’ve been making about why Hurts shouldn’t stay. Somehow this translates into Hurts redshirting and Saban doing him a favor.

I’m not confusing the two. He won’t transfer. He shouldn’t transfer.

He won’t lose a year of eligibility. He’ll get his degree, possibly win a NC and play somewhere else next year.

So he will have two years to play two when he is a graduate transfer after playing this year?

Back