What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 CO ATH Alec Pell (SIGNED to COLORADO)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

Dut6wIsXgAEM7VX.jpg

Cherry Creek HS (Greenwood Village, CO)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/alec_pell

Ht: 6'4"
Wt: 230
40:

247s rating: 3* - 82 grade; #115 OLB
ESPN rating: 3* - 77 grade; #76 OLB
Rivals rating: 3* - 5.5rr; unranked ATH

247sports Composite: 3* / 0.8406 / #98 OLB / #1324 overall

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Air Force, Army, Boise State, Cal, CSU, Iowa State, North Texas, Wyoming, FCS

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know why anyone would want to go to Boise State. Are there any notable graduates?

Personally, this is the kind of athlete that I would love to see us target a little bit more often. Tall, rangy and athletic kids that can RUN and play multiple skill positions (and sports), as well both sides of the ball. You can generally always find a place for these guys to play (DL, OLB, MLB, TE) based on temperament, how they physically mature, and what sort of skill sets they develop in College. These are the kids that can turn into something special out of (seemingly) no where. An extreme example would be Jeremy Shockey, Chad Brown etc..... I'd throw Helbig into this group as well although he seems to be more of a certain TE...not a bad thing. I would love to see us offer this kid, and would like to see us take 1-2 of these jumbo type athletes, that are not really assigned a position, per year. It helps a football team on SO many levels.

Personally, this is the kind of athlete that I would love to see us target a little bit more often. Tall, rangy and athletic kids that can RUN and play multiple skill positions (and sports), as well both sides of the ball. You can generally always find a place for these guys to play (DL, OLB, MLB, TE) based on temperament, how they physically mature, and what sort of skill sets they develop in College. These are the kids that can turn into something special out of (seemingly) no where. An extreme example would be Jeremy Shockey, Chad Brown etc..... I'd throw Helbig into this group as well although he seems to be more of a certain TE...not a bad thing. I would love to see us offer this kid, and would like to see us take 1-2 of these jumbo type athletes, that are not really assigned a position, per year. It helps a football team on SO many levels.
Tony Berti, recruited as a tall thin OLB; all American tackle at CU.

The roster is limited to 85 scholarship athletes, that with redshirts, leaves room for 20 something per class. I'm sure our staff would love to have this kid and others.

The roster is limited to 85 scholarship athletes, that with redshirts, leaves room for 20 something per class. I'm sure our staff would love to have this kid and others.
I am well aware of the limitations. I am not suggesting we take a flyer on some kid.....I am more saying that these types of kids (in my experience) turn into quality starters/something very special more often than people realize. Mac used to recruit these types of player all the time because they were big and athletic and they would find a place for them to develop into and contribute meaningfully. I understand the game is a bit different now, but too many programs don't recruit players like these because they don't know exactly where to project them with respect to the teams positional needs. That view lacks imagination in my opinion. A kid like this is more likely to have a very positive impact on your football team/roster than a middle of the road offensive/defensive lineman (for example) that happens to meet the "typical" height and weight for the position you're recruiting them for. You can build this kind of athlete into something great, where as you can not make the other kid run faster or be more athletic. I am only suggesting taking 1-2 of these types of recruits per year in lieu of recruiting some of the marginal kids we take at the last minute to hopefully fill a position of need. History says it pays off

I am well aware of the limitations. I am not suggesting we take a flyer on some kid.....I am more saying that these types of kids (in my experience) turn into quality starters/something very special more often than people realize. Mac used to recruit these types of player all the time because they were big and athletic and they would find a place for them to develop into and contribute meaningfully. I understand the game is a bit different now, but too many programs don't recruit players like these because they don't know exactly where to project them with respect to the teams positional needs. That view lacks imagination in my opinion. A kid like this is more likely to have a very positive impact on your football team/roster than a middle of the road offensive/defensive lineman (for example) that happens to meet the "typical" height and weight for the position you're recruiting them for. You can build this kind of athlete into something great, where as you can not make the other kid run faster or be more athletic. I am only suggesting taking 1-2 of these types of recruits per year in lieu of recruiting some of the marginal kids we take at the last minute to hopefully fill a position of need. History says it pays off
Recruiting multi-sport, positionless, athletic types has not been something MacIntyre has been reluctant to do. If anything, I think he's gone a bit too far with that at times. Maybe out of necessity as he was building a program back up and had to rely on evaluations and projections because he couldn't get the guys who were ready to come in and play. But within the 85 limit, if you're now getting guys who clearly fit a positional need for that recruiting class and are able to compete to play right away -- then it's hard to justify signing an athlete with potential instead and then waiting 2 or 3 years to see how his body develops.

Recruiting multi-sport, positionless, athletic types has not been something MacIntyre has been reluctant to do. If anything, I think he's gone a bit too far with that at times. Maybe out of necessity as he was building a program back up and had to rely on evaluations and projections because he couldn't get the guys who were ready to come in and play. But within the 85 limit, if you're now getting guys who clearly fit a positional need for that recruiting class and are able to compete to play right away -- then it's hard to justify signing an athlete with potential instead and then waiting 2 or 3 years to see how his body develops.
Fair points that I can't really disagree with....except in that (and I could totally be wrong as I don't follow recruiting as closely as you all), the people that I remember him taking that fit this mold are more along the lines of WR, Safety, CB types that might be able to play LB. Not the taller athletes that haven't filled out yet. Regardless, I'll leave my thoughts at that, this isn't the place for this debate to continue.

You do that when you are one of two situations.

One is that you have a roster like we did when MM took over that was lacking athletic ability at a huge variety of positions and you had a program that was having trouble recruiting P5 level athletes at specific positions.

The first years of the MacIntyre staff we were signing multiple kids who were MWC level athletes. In those cases you bring in a guy (or guys) like this knowing that with some skill development he is going to be able to find a place where he can help you.

The other is if you have a fairly solid roster top to bottom with no glaring weaknesses. Bring in a couple versatility guys with the idea that they can be flexible enough to fit in to a spot where you get unexpected attrition or that they blow up and become something special.

I'd like to see this kid in Black and Gold but I don't see us as being in either of the above situations. We have in the past couple years been recruiting P5 level athletes but we still have enough very specific holes that we need be filling our classes based on positional need.

He looks like a good athlete and the service academy offers indicate a quality student but the offer list doesn't say ignore need and go after him.

It may be though that as the rest of the class settles in and they know how the pieces fit he would be a good pick-up late.

It's not directly ''on the field" related, but since he became BSU's first commitment Pell has been very active recruiting for the program. For example, he pushed via twitter on 4* ATH and 247 Top-300 recruit Casey Kline multiple times who ended up committing to Boise State.

I found this particularly notable as Boise State likes Pell and Kline at the same position. It kind of speaks to the team mentality of a guy who is willing to actively go out and recruit his future competition if it helps his future team and I think that's something that doesn't necessarily translate into the star rankings which, I think, focus mostly on just the physical potential and on-field production.

I don't know if an offer from his home state university would make him reconsider his commitment or not. Personally I hope not because while he will almost certainly not end up being BSU's highest rated recruit barring a truly monstrous senior season, he's well on his way to being one of my favorites in recent years.

Last edited:
Like the offer if the plan is to move him inside.
I'm not sure if I like him better as a linebacker or if I'd use him as an H-Back on offense who can also carry the ball a bit in short yardage. Just a guy you need to get onto the practice field and see where he's most natural in our systems. Definitely a guy who can play on every special team.

I'm not sure if I like him better as a linebacker or if I'd use him as an H-Back on offense who can also carry the ball a bit in short yardage. Just a guy you need to get onto the practice field and see where he's most natural in our systems. Definitely a guy who can play on every special team.

Like him at LB, fluid athlete but not necessarily explosive, so move him inside to be that 6'3"/235ish player you need in this conference to stop the run.

Like him at LB, fluid athlete but not necessarily explosive, so move him inside to be that 6'3"/235ish player you need in this conference to stop the run.
I agree with this. The depth chart definitely needed a HS ILB in this class to fill the pipeline and we aren’t really in on any right now. We can afford to take a guy with a high ceiling and develop them.

Any one know if he has a lot more experience playing offense? I only ask because he likes explosive on that side of the ball. On D it looks like he’s thinking a lot.

Like him at LB, fluid athlete but not necessarily explosive, so move him inside to be that 6'3"/245ish player you need in this conference to stop the run.
FIFY.
That height should support 250 at ILB. We list 4 ILB's at 6'0" to 6'1" and 230. Assuming the weight is sort of accurate, would love to see a kid a couple inches taller pack on an extra 15 lbs.

FIFY.
That height should support 250 at ILB. We list 4 ILB's at 6'0" to 6'1" and 230. Assuming the weight is sort of accurate, would love to see a kid a couple inches taller pack on an extra 15 lbs.

Baby steps. Do our coaches have any inclination to play ILBs at 245?

Back