What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 CO WDE Isaac Townsend (Signed to Oregon)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

4_7510890.png

Ralston Valley (Arvada, CO)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/isaactownsend13

Ht: 6'6"
Wt: 240
40: 4.68

247s rating: 3* - 89 grade; #22 WDE (#381 overall)
ESPN rating: 3* - 78 grade; #90 DE
Rivals rating: 3* - 5.7rr; #33 WDE

247sports Composite: 3* / 0.8809 / #36 WDE / #461 overall

Reported Offers: Boise State, Iowa State, Kansas State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oregon, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, Washington State, Wyoming

Last edited:
Only CU follow I'm seeing so far is from Michael Slife, a Recruiting Intern. Very surprising to me.

Had 6 sacks and 65 total tackles as a junior in 2017. Maxpreps

Apparently, what landed him the Tennessee offer in May was that he ran a 4.68 forty at their camp. LINK Like with the Nebraska offer in July, the Vols offer was by the previous coaching staff. CU has an opportunity to make a move here.

Another WDE that plays with his hand on the ground that would probably not do that in our defense. Harder to project I think w/o a lot of film, so a camp is essential. I wonder if he attended a CU camp?

Along with the two below, I guess he also has a K-State offer, which might actually be the leader in the clubhouse from what I've heard.

Townsend has played all over the DL in a 3-3-5 and occasionally 4-2-5 defense. He has primarily been a 3 technique DE, but also slides out to a 5 technique when the defense shifts to a 4 man front. He has also been called upon to play NT at times, but that’s not his position obviously.

If the coaches don’t believe he’s able to put on the weight to be their 3/5 tech, then I understand not recruiting him, as he is not a stand up OLB.

Last edited:
Kinda same story as the kid a couple years ago who went to Virginia Tech?

Kinda same story as the kid a couple years ago who went to Virginia Tech?

Little different. That kid was a good football player but IIRC he didn't have a lot of other major offers than VT. Some question about how good he was. This kid there is no question, he has a bunch of offers and will have more if he wants them. Looks more like a very good player who just isn't a fit for what CU does on defense in the opinion of our coaches.

Now this one hurts. A home town guy who grew up in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains chooses the corporate mega program over the beloved underdog hometown school. Ouch! Kids these days!!

Now this one hurts. A home town guy who grew up in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains chooses the corporate mega program over the beloved underdog hometown school. Ouch! Kids these days!!

Details, DBT. Details.

Townsend has played all over the DL in a 3-3-5 and occasionally 4-2-5 defense. He has primarily been a 3 technique DE, but also slides out to a 5 technique when the defense shifts to a 4 man front. He has also been called upon to play NT at times, but that’s not his position obviously.

If the coaches don’t believe he’s able to put on the weight to be their 3/5 tech, then I understand not recruiting him, as he is not a stand up OLB.

Kind of difficult to go to a school that didn’t offer ;)

I'd hope the staff is pretty damn sure they couldn't use this guy because of the scheme we run. I'd have to defer to them and some of you guys that have seen him play because I haven't, other than the clips above. He moves pretty well for his size and looks to be athletic. Oh well, good luck to him except for you know when.

Sometimes I wonder if coaches and fans get a little too wrapped into specifics regarding players. Does a bball player really need to be a certain size to play DI? Do CBs have to be a certain height? Yes and no, imo. All explanations may make sense, but this kid is still surprising. Not so much that we didn't get him, but not even offer him... ...kid seems like he can play. I understand everyone's comments and reasoning and obviously defer to some of you on football knowledge, but are we getting too caught up in nuances? I don't know - good luck to the kid, except against CU.

Sometimes I wonder if coaches and fans get a little too wrapped into specifics regarding players. Does a bball player really need to be a certain size to play DI? Do CBs have to be a certain height? Yes and no, imo. All explanations may make sense, but this kid is still surprising. Not so much that we didn't get him, but not even offer him... ...kid seems like he can play. I understand everyone's comments and reasoning and obviously defer to some of you on football knowledge, but are we getting too caught up in nuances? I don't know - good luck to the kid, except against CU.

There is certainly a balance to be struck, but I tend to think too many coaches have issues with the other side of the coin and being too loose with how they want to define what players at various positions should look like.

The counter to that is that far to often fans get wrapped up in the idea that a kid is local and signed with another major program, he should have been ours.

I want CU to be the destination for the best players that the state of Colorado produces. I can name a number of guys who went out of state who I think would have been better off staying home.

This doesn't mean though that every kid from Colorado, even if he is a very good player is the best fit for CU. Would you want us to take Dylan McCaffrey if it meant potentially losing Ty Evans.

We have a combination of number limitations and the question of best fit for our program. Should we take a 3* WR keeping him from signing with an out of state program if it means not having a spot for a better out of state player like Huffman-Dixon?

Townsend may end up being a guy we regret not recruiting harder, that happens like the safety who went to Wyoming but the coaches have decisions to make and the kids have decisions to make. Sometimes it doesn't work out that an in-state kid ends up with us

The counter to that is that far to often fans get wrapped up in the idea that a kid is local and signed with another major program, he should have been ours.

I want CU to be the destination for the best players that the state of Colorado produces. I can name a number of guys who went out of state who I think would have been better off staying home.

This doesn't mean though that every kid from Colorado, even if he is a very good player is the best fit for CU. Would you want us to take Dylan McCaffrey if it meant potentially losing Ty Evans.

We have a combination of number limitations and the question of best fit for our program. Should we take a 3* WR keeping him from signing with an out of state program if it means not having a spot for a better out of state player like Huffman-Dixon?

Townsend may end up being a guy we regret not recruiting harder, that happens like the safety who went to Wyoming but the coaches have decisions to make and the kids have decisions to make. Sometimes it doesn't work out that an in-state kid ends up with us
The examples you bring up aren't relevant this situation, though. I assume you're referring to Luke McCaffrey, not Dylan, but of course I don't want Luke if it meant we lose Ty Evans. They play the same positions and Ty is the better prospect. The WR example is irrelevant too. Pospisil from Pomona may be a solid player, but CU has a legit chance to land much better players at the same position. The DL, however, is a different story. We truly don't know how legit our chances are with some of the top DL targets. We seem to be OK with bypassing in-state P5 talent on the DL in the hope that the better DL from elsewhere choose CU, but to this point, that hasn't happened. Not recruiting Townsend at all and watching him commit to Oregon is a high risk move. Drake, Eliot and MM better be very confident in landing other prospects at the DE position, otherwise they have some egg on their face here, IMO.

Back