What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 TNFR QB Justin Fields (Ohio State)

Don't tell me there's 0% chance when it's been mentioned by someone not remotely connected to CU or the Pac 12.

6. Colorado

My wild card when Kelly Bryant announced he was transferring was Mizzou, and that turned out to be right. Colorado is my wild card for Fields. Why? The Mel Tucker connection.
As you recall, the Georgia defensive coordinator just left to take the head gig in Boulder. Tucker brought over Jay Johnson from Georgia to be his offensive coordinator for the Buffaloes. Johnson was a key staffer working with Georgia’s offense, and he was also a big part of the program’s recruiting efforts.
If Fields wants to go somewhere to escape the bubble he’s in playing in the Southeast, Colorado makes sense. Plus, he wouldn’t worry about his coaches he trusts getting fired and he could play against Pac-12 defenses.
Look, I realize that Fields can essentially pick from anywhere he wants. Choosing the Pac-12 program 2 time zones away that went 5-7 might not make any sense to him.
But hey, that’s why it’s a wild card.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/fields-transfer-destinations-2018/

Don't tell me there's 0% chance when it's been mentioned by someone not remotely connected to CU or the Pac 12.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/fields-transfer-destinations-2018/

Are Pac-12 defenses really that soft, though? We don't know exactly what Fields is thinking or what he'll prioritize in a program (Coach Prestige, Academics, Proximity to Home, all the NCAA videogame stuff) but... if he wants stability, a chance to carry a team, early playing time... etc. CU could make a lot of sense for him.

If dude even takes a visit I will be absolutely floored. Not because I’m CU jaded but because this kid is one of the highest rated kids in the last 19 years. I watched his tape, he’s unreal and if he plays anything like his high school tape in college he is a consensus top 5 pick easily.

I love my Buffs and it would be great to get this kid but . . . I think the rational outlook is the quote above. If he doesn't have to sit a year, he's going to OU. Especially, given OU's last two transfer QB's. You think this guy cares about Spencer Rattler? Also, I watched that QB1 show and I am not sure I could stomach that Martel kid for too long. I think he's undersized and overrated as a passer. Would be an excellent slot receiver though.

Not to mention he will be throwing to the best wideout in college football, top 10 pick in the 2020 NFL draft, Laviska Shenault.

laviska-shenault-colorado.jpg

I love my Buffs and it would be great to get this kid but . . . I think the rational outlook is the quote above. If he doesn't have to sit a year, he's going to OU. Especially, given OU's last two transfer QB's. You think this guy cares about Spencer Rattler? Also, I watched that QB1 show and I am not sure I could stomach that Martel kid for too long. I think he's undersized and overrated as a passer. Would be an excellent slot receiver though.

I do think he worries about Rattler some. More so than that is would Oklahoma risk losing Rattler. He’ll almost certainly decommit if they take Fields. Not saying they’d say no but it’s something to think about. Also he has to be worried that Riley is gone to the NFL

Can Georgia still block what schools he goes to? Like when they used to block him from transferring to SEC schools?

Can Georgia still block what schools he goes to? Like when they used to block him from transferring to SEC schools?
Yes, they can, which is why I can't imagine Miss State would be in the running. I don't know what the rules are around schools blocking other schools, buy my optimistic point of view is that OU and tOSU are big time threats to UGA in the National Championship conversation going forward, so they should probably block those two programs as well. Buff lock.

I do think he worries about Rattler some. More so than that is would Oklahoma risk losing Rattler. He’ll almost certainly decommit if they take Fields. Not saying they’d say no but it’s something to think about. Also he has to be worried that Riley is gone to the NFL
All true, Brock. So what you're saying is. . .we gotta chance?

I would assume he has to choose to transfer before a decision gets made on whether he'll be immediately eligible right? Unless he just wants out of Georgia (racist comments?), transferring anywhere just to sit out and RS would be a mistake.

I read he has to transfer, them apply for hardship. Much like Shea Patterson did. I don’t think he found out he could play until April. I did see he got the same lawyer as Patterson used.

We need to really hope he doesn’t win his appeal the the NCAA to play right away. Not really sure what grounds he has to stand on to get it. Doesn’t it usually require a head coaching change etc?
(Edit - per Brockbuffs info below, what I recalled was way off, so removed.) If Marqeasha as a nickname was enough to be allowed to transfer 50 miles north without sitting out, that may be enough.

Just read the article about that. Was called a racial slur by a baseball player. It was during the game and the baseball player was overheard saying it in the stands. Baseball player got dismissed. Seems the way they’ve ruled in the past that’s enough to grant it.

He is the kind of talent that if he were to come to Boulder you adjust your offense to what he does, wouldn't be that hard to do.

As to the NCAA, I get the sense that they are going to be flexible in most cases. Their problem is that they don't want to have to defend the rule in court. Should they deny a player who challenges it and gets a sympathetic jury then the entire rule goes out the window with no real means of regaining control. They are then dealing with open season with players transferring almost at will.

To avoid this situation they are going to be receptive to a lot of arguments from players that they would prefer to turn down.

He is the kind of talent that if he were to come to Boulder you adjust your offense to what he does, wouldn't be that hard to do.

As to the NCAA, I get the sense that they are going to be flexible in most cases. Their problem is that they don't want to have to defend the rule in court. Should they deny a player who challenges it and gets a sympathetic jury then the entire rule goes out the window with no real means of regaining control. They are then dealing with open season with players transferring almost at will.

To avoid this situation they are going to be receptive to a lot of arguments from players that they would prefer to turn down.
In CU's case, we wouldn't be adjusting our offense. In fact, he knows our offense better than anyone on our current roster.

Why is he transfering?
Jake Fromm was a fringe 5* QB coming out of High School, led Georgia to a National Championship berth and almost win as a true freshman, and is one of the top QBs in the country. That's mainly why. Plus, there was a situation where a UGA baseball player made some racist comments about him (player was dismissed), and there's speculation that's part of the reason he wants out of the program.

In CU's case, we wouldn't be adjusting our offense. In fact, he knows our offense better than anyone on our current roster.

That is true.

It is also a case that he is talented enough to run most variations of offenses used today. At the same time he is talented enough that it would be a waste not to adjust the offense to take advantage of his abilities to make plays.

Jake Fromm was a fringe 5* QB coming out of High School, led Georgia to a National Championship berth and almost win as a true freshman, and is one of the top QBs in the country. That's mainly why. Plus, there was a situation where a UGA baseball player made some racist comments about him (player was dismissed), and there's speculation that's part of the reason he wants out of the program.
and probably because he was lied to about his playing time.

His name has now entered the portal

https://247sports.com/college/georg...Transfer-Georgia-Bulldogs-Football-126548055/

Luke Ford, a 4 star tight end who was in the same recruiting class as Fields is also going to transfer. We should be contacting him as well. Package duo!!

So he is a 5 star who is not starting.

Back