What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

‘19 TX RB D.J. Oats (SIGNED to COLORADO)

He received a Toledo offer the other day with more seeming likely to come (look at all the coaches recently following him, he's not a secret anymore, just like Lockhart), and I'm not sure how not being evaluated is a knock against him as opposed to being evaluated poorly.
Did you really just come back with “he received a Toledo offer”? Dear god, if toldeo is who are viewing as evidence that our recruits are ready for PAC-12 football (which sets the bar relatively low these days) we’re in for another miserable decade of CU football.

Did you really just come back with “he received a Toledo offer”? Dear god, if toldeo is who are viewing as evidence that our recruits are ready for PAC-12 football (which sets the bar relatively low these days) we’re in for another miserable decade of CU football.
No he was just pointing out that the kid does, in fact, have another offer, contrary to what you said. There are extenuating circumstances surrounding this kids recruitment which has led to him being more under the radar.

The 247 article about his commitment listed him at 6'0 190...which is bigger than I thought, and I believe recruits are officially weighed and measured on their visits, so that should be an accurate height/weight.

I am pretty excited about this kid!

The 247 article about his commitment listed him at 6'0 190...which is bigger than I thought, and I believe recruits are officially weighed and measured on their visits, so that should be an accurate height/weight.

I am pretty excited about this kid!

I don't believe that is quoting official measurements, it is just a national writer using measurements from his profile.

5'9", 5'10" probably, that's good enough. Of course, it would be great if everybody in the secondary was 6'+, but not the end of the world if they aren't. This dude can move, I'm sure he'll be fine at CB.

5'9", 5'10" probably, that's good enough. Of course, it would be great if everybody in the secondary was 6'+, but not the end of the world if they aren't. This dude can move, I'm sure he'll be fine at CB.
Isn't 5'7" the height where all things end?

NUC Sports Dallas Writeups 2018

Daniel Oats Jr. (2019) RB James Martin HS 5’ 10 ½ 170lbs
Oats outshined and was one of the most impressive athletes at the event. His testing numbers were unbelievable. 4.33 40yd dash, 4.25 Pro Agility, 37in Vertical along with a 9’9” broad. He followed those incredible numbers up with a solid day of work as a running back. He was the camp Combine King.

https://nucsports.com/nuc-sports-dallas-writeups-2018/

Oats outshined and was one of the most impressive athletes at the event. His testing numbers were unbelievable. 4.33 40yd dash, 4.25 Pro Agility, 37in Vertical along with a 9’9” broad. He followed those incredible numbers up with a solid day of work as a running back. He was the camp Combine King.

I thought “Combine King” along with “Tractor Queen” was a ‘braska thing?

Last edited:

This is awesome!

Kids get missed all the time with all kinds of circumstances; financially couldn't attend all the camps, small High Schools, parents pass, HS Football coach doesn't have connections or doesn't care, etc...

and thus we see incredible players come from all corners of the nation. Using Toledo as an example; and prior to kicking women in Hotel halls, Kareem Hunt looked like top 5 RB in the NFL.

Simply dismissing a kid because of offer list is ignorant and offensive to the student/athlete.

This is awesome!

Kids get missed all the time with all kinds of circumstances; financially couldn't attend all the camps, small High Schools, parents pass, HS Football coach doesn't have connections or doesn't care, etc...

and thus we see incredible players come from all corners of the nation. Using Toledo as an example; and prior to kicking women in Hotel halls, Kareem Hunt looked like top 5 RB in the NFL.

Simply dismissing a kid because of offer list is ignorant and offensive to the student/athlete.

Actually with the internet and the ease of electronic communication as well as the focus on finding talent I don't buy the idea that "kids get missed all the time" but this is one of those circumstances where are kid could be overlooked.

If you are going to bring in a kid who doesn't have much in terms of other offers I'd much rather he be an outstanding athlete like this kid that the "try hard" kids we have seen in the past.

Actually with the internet and the ease of electronic communication as well as the focus on finding talent I don't buy the idea that "kids get missed all the time" but this is one of those circumstances where are kid could be overlooked.

Oh I think they do. . . Because arguing is fun:

2018 NFL Draft: Wyoming QB go top 10, UTSA LB top 15, Boise St LB Top 25, SDSU RB 1st Round, Nevada OT top 40, UTEP OG top 40
2017 NFL Draft: WMU WR top 5, Temple LB Top 15, ECU WR top 40, WKU OG top 40
2016 NFL Draft: NDSU QB #2, UH CB Top 25, Memphis QB First Round, La Tech DT First Round

2018 NFL Draft: Wyoming QB go top 10, UTSA LB top 15, Boise St LB Top 25, SDSU RB 1st Round, Nevada OT top 40, UTEP OG top 40
2016 NFL Draft: NDSU QB #2, UH CB Top 25, Memphis QB First Round, La Tech DT First Round

See Duff's post below yours.

Also see the Draft results for Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State in last years or the next years draft.

You won't win in a P5 conference recruiting "hidden gems" and "overlooked talent."

And look at all the Austrian and German players that get missed.

Right, and I never argued that. I was simply defending Oats and others that get missed because they don't have P5 offers. My initial post was in response to the criticism of his Toledo offer in previous threads. . . especially considering the documented circumstances that Oats has been through.

I’m willing to overlook this kids lack of offers and rating because he seems to be an extraordinary athlete. I’m also willing to give the benefit of the doubt here to coach Tucker because we haven’t seen his ability to evaluate talent here and with being hired in mid-December it’s difficult to convince 5 star kids your perennial losing program is turning a corner after you just went 5-7 and fired your coach.

We’re all better off if Oats is a success and a contributor. But this shouldn’t be the norm for Colorado at all.

Time will tell on Tucker’s recruiting. He gets a honeymoon pass this year. But I like the way he’s going about his business so far. He appears to have a vision and he also appears to believe CU can recruit with anyone. You have to believe in yourself if you want to compete at the highest level. (Cliche of the week)

We’re all better off if Oats is a success and a contributor. But this shouldn’t be the norm for Colorado at all.
I don’t see where JM or anybody else suggested otherwise. The argument some of you are making looks like a straw man to me. After the main targets, a few kids like oats can be a good way to fill out a class. Who has ever suggested loading up on that kind of recruit?

Phil Lindsay was recruited at the very lowest point in CU history and some weren’t happy. There would be wails of agony if he were offered more than a PWO today.

Last edited:
I don’t see where JM or anybody else suggested otherwise. The argument of you are making looks like a straw man to me. After the main targets, a few kids like oats can be a good way to fill out a class. Who has ever suggested loading up on that kind of recruit?

Phil Lindsay was recruited at the very lowest point in CU history and some weren’t happy. There would be wails of agony if he were offered more than a PWO today.

Good points, but you know damn well if MM was still coach, people wouldn't be so ecstatic with the players coming to CU.

I think he's getting bigger players and filling gaps but I expect a couple of 4 star guys before Feb, MT by all accounts is a top recruiter.

2020 is when it should be judged, and the going after a bunch of top prospects, which wasn't the case with previous staff.

I don’t see where JM or anybody else suggested otherwise. The argument of you are making looks like a straw man to me. After the main targets, a few kids like oats can be a good way to fill out a class. Who has ever suggested loading up on that kind of recruit?

Huh? I quoted his post because he was talking about offers. Keep up the good fight I guess.

Oats has been dealt a super awful hand and is working through that the best way he can with his relatives in a new state.

He has serious speed/quickness and a willingness to play corner. I agree that we shouldn’t build our class hopes on unheralded players. I do think we have room to build some of our class with very fast guys with a thirst to succeed.

Huh? I quoted his post because he was talking about offers. Keep up the good fight I guess.
Don’t be so sensitive, I was using your quote as an illustration. I don’t disagree with what you posted.
Good points, but you know damn well if MM was still coach, people wouldn't be so ecstatic with the players coming to CU.

I think he's getting bigger players and filling gaps but I expect a couple of 4 star guys before Feb, MT by all accounts is a top recruiter.

2020 is when it should be judged, and the going after a bunch of top prospects, which wasn't the case with previous staff.
Over on 247 someone posted a ranking of new coaches’ recruiting classes, Tucker is third out of a dozen or so. Way above Maryland, Louisville, and the many others. Les has the 113th class right now.

He’s one spot above what MM left, and no, that doesn’t thrill me. I’m hoping the next month proves something, but improvement next year is a must, IMO.

I don’t see where JM or anybody else suggested otherwise. The argument some of you are making looks like a straw man to me. After the main targets, a few kids like oats can be a good way to fill out a class. Who has ever suggested loading up on that kind of recruit?

We can’t offer him a PWO. He’s out of eligibility.

Back