What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 CO TE Kole Taylor (Signed to LSU)

Make it so they could ignore their military commitment if they have a pro sports opportunity? I hope I’m misunderstanding you, because that should not be touched.
They are allowed to defer their service. They still must fulfill their obligation.

IIRC, David Robinson was able to play in the NBA while serving in the reserves. I seem to recall there was some kind of accommodation made so he could play immediately in the NBA. It required a special change to the regular rules, though.

Edit: I was mistaken. According to Wiki, he served two years in active duty before joining the Spurs.

Remember David Robinson enrolled as a 6’-6” cadet. Then he hit a growth spurt and shot up to 7’-2”. It would’ve been a shame to not allow him a shot at the NBA.

I believe the plan is to delay your military commitment, not eliminate it.

Still, I agree with you. Don't mess with it.

This is what I have heard. They would be allowed to participate as professional athletes then fulfill their obligation at the end of their careers.

Still when you delay the service there are some issues. How many players finish a pro career healthy enough to serve at 100%? How out of date are they professionally after an athletic career?

I don't have a problem with what they have done in the past requiring a couple years of active service then an extended term on active reserves.

What we don't need though is cadets who are focused on pro sports careers instead of their military obligations.

They are allowed to defer their service. They still must fulfill their obligation.
Thanks.

I don't really want to debate it here, but I do question whether we should be messing with the mission of our academies. Training military officers is why they exist. Compromising that in any way in hopes it will lead to the Army-Navy game being between ranked teams doesn't seem right to me. I pretty much made my mind up on this one 30 years ago with David Robinson and the debate over him serving his 2-year commitment back then. (He did serve, even though he'd grown past the height limit for active duty by the time he was admitted to the academy and was well above it by the time he graduated. It was the right thing and he should have transferred out before incurring that commitment if he didn't want to serve as an officer after graduation.)

Thanks.

I don't really want to debate it here, but I do question whether we should be messing with the mission of our academies. Training military officers is why they exist. Compromising that in any way in hopes it will lead to the Army-Navy game being between ranked teams doesn't seem right to me. I pretty much made my mind up on this one 30 years ago with David Robinson and the debate over him serving his 2-year commitment back then. (He did serve, even though he'd grown past the height limit for active duty by the time he was admitted to the academy and was well above it by the time he graduated. It was the right thing and he should have transferred out before incurring that commitment if he didn't want to serve as an officer after graduation.)

Chad Hennings who won the Outland Trophy while at the AFA served four years of active duty including flying 45 combat missions while stationed in the Persian Gulf. After that four years the Air Force underwent some cuts in budget and he was released from his final four years of active duty service instead serving another nine years on active reserve.

I agree though that the mission of the service academies should be highly focused on preparing the future leaders of our nations military without other distractions. Intercollegiate sports should exist only to the extent that they serve that mission.

By accepting the appointment to an academy and all the benefits that go with it giving up dreams of playing in the pros isn't an unreasonable expectation.

It’s gone back and forth over the years. The Admiral owed the Navy more than two years, but served part of it in the reserves, iirc. Keenan Reynolds, an Annapolis grad, was drafted by the Ravens, went to the Redskins, and is now on Seattle’s practice squad. He’s in the reserves, but I’m not sure how his payback (five years of active service, usually) is to be worked out.

They’re trying to work out a deferment, and it doesn’t bother me too much if somebody is drafted is allowed to play whatever sport, then returns to fulfill their obligation. It’s bound to be a net positive in the vast majority of cases, imo.

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself more than me.

TE is still a major issue and Taylor is more than just a player who flashed a little talent. He is a national recruit with the size to be an impact TE at the next level.
I guess we will see. I think they are very high on Otoole kid from NM and make him an H. And let Fauria be the the in-line TE. When you couple that with the JC kid. I think they pulled off Kole

But you are right the Other P5 offers for Kole are impressive.

I guess we will see. I think they are very high on Otoole kid from NM and make him an H. And let Fauria be the the in-line TE. When you couple that with the JC kid. I think they pulled off Kole

But you are right the Other P5 offers for Kole are impressive.

Other than him choosing another school, where are you getting they dropped Taylor?

CU is not in the position to turn away blue chips or borderline blue chips at any position.

I don't think this one is done.

He is going there because he was sold the idea that LSU was going to start using the TE again. If LSU doesn't show a commitment to using the TE position I could see him opening it up late in the process.

He is going there because he was sold the idea that LSU was going to start using the TE again. If LSU doesn't show a commitment to using the TE position I could see him opening it up late in the process.

Its a combo of that and the temperature of Ed Orgeron's seat-Malzahn has the hottest seat in the SEC, but Eddie O isn't far behind him.

Recruiting classes are important but don't make up for bad coaching. Orgeron lived that at Ole Miss. Perhaps he has improved.

They did not pull off Kole and will continue to recruit him.
Read some of the comments from the late flips to UGA the past few years. One thing they all cited was the fact that UGA was relentless with the recruiting, even after they had verbally committed to other schools. I fully expect that MT has implemented the same process at CU, and that we'll continue to actively recruit every priority player right up until signing day.

Read some of the comments from the late flips to UGA the past few years. One thing they all cited was the fact that UGA was relentless with the recruiting, even after they had verbally committed to other schools. I fully expect that MT has implemented the same process at CU, and that we'll continue to actively recruit every priority player right up until signing day.
Safe assumption that HCMT will continue doing what he was doing before since he saw it work year after year at Bama and UGA.

I was hoping LSU offense would be as anemic as the last couple of years in hopes that he'd reconsider....seems like they have finally figured it out though.

Back