What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2009 Early Big 12 Lookaheads Per "Scout.com"

How can Cody be the best returning offensive player when he's not going to be playing? :huh:

In all seriousness, if Cody is the starter against CSU, we are in for problems this season. I think the world of the kid and love his competitiveness, but he's not the guy we need back there. We need Hansen to mature enough over the Spring and Fall camp to be the starter.

How can Cody be the best returning offensive player when he's not going to be playing? :huh:

In all seriousness, if Cody is the starter against CSU, we are in for problems this season. I think the world of the kid and love his competitiveness, but he's not the guy we need back there. We need Hansen to mature enough over the Spring and Fall camp to be the starter.

True. Hate to say it though...

Depends on what type of guy Hansen is. He has to run neck and neck with Hawk during the Spring and Fall camps. If it's a close competition then they give the nod to Hansen. But if it looks like Cody has better command of the offense (which I think he will), they'll go with Cody.

If we had an experienced offensive line I wouldn't care if Cody was back there, but since there is a need for some mobility in the position I would prefer Hansen. I wont' take Hansen seriously, however, if he still has an overwhelming tendency for tucking the ball and running come spring.

Depends on what type of guy Hansen is. He has to run neck and neck with Hawk during the Spring and Fall camps. If it's a close competition then they give the nod to Hansen. But if it looks like Cody has better command of the offense (which I think he will), they'll go with Cody.

If we had an experienced offensive line I wouldn't care if Cody was back there, but since there is a need for some mobility in the position I would prefer Hansen. I wont' take Hansen seriously, however, if he still has an overwhelming tendency for tucking the ball and running come spring.

I don't think that was entirely Tyler's fault. He must have had just the slightest grasp of that playbook, and I am sure that the coaches told him that if the first option wasn't there, he should take off.

I think the experience he gained last season, plus nearly a year to explore the playbook, plus spring and summer camps are going to make Tyler very competitive and capable

Wow. He leads us for a win at OU and he's the man. He has a bad sophomore slump and people are ready to put the scrub label on him.

He's not a scrub. I never said he was a scrub. I define a scrub as somebody who will have no chance whatsoever of ever seeing the field. Cody, to me, makes the perfect backup QB. That's well beyond being a scrub. But at starter, we need to have somebody who has a little more in his arsenal.

Nobody else has stepped up yet. Cody is still the starting QB for CU. Hansen has a loooooooong way to go. Same with Ballenger.

I agree, Cody played last year because nobody played better!! What did Hansen do when he started agaings Mizzou? I just want the best player to play QB whether its Hansen or Cody, dont matter as long as they get the job done.

Wow. He leads us for a win at OU and he's the man. He has a bad sophomore slump and people are ready to put the scrub label on him.

Nobody else has stepped up yet. Cody is still the starting QB for CU. Hansen has a loooooooong way to go. Same with Ballenger.

Yes & Yes....The bigger more important question is on the O-line & not on the QB....if the O-line provides good protection and we can provide some sort of running game then Cody and/or Hansen will look studly

If by 'sophomore slump', you mean, failed to progress whatsoever after the Oklahoma game, and, in fact, regressed, then yes, people are ready to put the scrub label on him.

Capable backup, not gonna win a north title!

Yes & Yes....The bigger more important question is on the O-line & not on the QB....if the O-line provides good protection and we can provide some sort of running game then Cody and/or Hansen will look studly

Cody will win more than he loses with a good o-line and running game, but studly... really?

Cody IS Trent Dilfer... if the stars align, he can look good and win, but without a TOP defense AND a TOP running game, he's a below average QB at best. He's not the kind of QB that can take a team on his shoulders and will them to win. Leadership only goes so far when you don't have the accuracy or arm strength to throw half the routes on the field.

I'm being extra ornery at the request of Valdez ;)

Cody will win more than he loses with a good o-line and running game, but studly... really?

Cody IS Trent Dilfer... if the stars align, he can look good and win, but without a TOP defense AND a TOP running game, he's a below average QB at best. He's not the kind of QB that can take a team on his shoulders and will them to win. Leadership only goes so far when you don't have the accuracy or arm strength to throw half the routes on the field.

I'm being extra ornery at the request of Valdez ;)

Dare I mention that we have had terrible WR's for his 2 years on the field, so he's been forced to simply make managable throws....what should I think that he might accomplish if we had a WR who could go up and make a play????

The point is, the QB spot is the last concern on my mind going into the next season....

You're not wrong. Cody is a backup QB. Especially when you compare him to the other B12 QB's. But at the moment he's all we got. I know Hansen and Ballenger were thrown into the fire and they might come through, but right now our starter is Cody. He gives us the best chance to win.

I'd love to see any of the backups step up. Especially Ballenger. I don't think we've seen the last of that young man.

The simple fact of the matter is that Cody is easy to defend. He doesn't possess the arm strength to throw the ball downfield with any accuracy. His passes are regularly batted down. He has very limited mobility. He routinely locks on to a primary receiver. When said receiver is not open, he gets the deer in the headlights look and either immediately throws the ball away, or scrambles around before getting sacked. Opposing defensive coordinators know the book on him. When an opposing team doesn't have to prepare for him, he does well (see ISU). No running game in the world can make up for these deficiencies. He could have the worlds greatest offensive line and it would not turn him into an all Big 12 QB. I'm sorry, but this is reality. If he is the starter against CSU, we're in trouble.

Dare I mention that we have had terrible WR's for his 2 years on the field, so he's been forced to simply make managable throws....what should I think that he might accomplish if we had a WR who could go up and make a play????

The point is, the QB spot is the last concern on my mind going into the next season....

I see your point, but QB shouldn't be our last concern. Like all positions, the QB play must improve dramatically for us to be competitive in the B12.

WR's are a problem, but one of the ways you can overcome a bad o-line, or suplement a running game is with quick short passes. When Cody is in, the three step drops, quick slants, quick outs and ins are all pretty much out of the playbook because he really needs to get out of the pocket to see the field.

That I can agree with. I think Qb is going to be marginal whoever plays, unless Evans comes in and lights it up.

The simple fact of the matter is that Cody is easy to defend. He doesn't possess the arm strength to throw the ball downfield with any accuracy. His passes are regularly batted down. He has very limited mobility. He routinely locks on to a primary receiver. When said receiver is not open, he gets the deer in the headlights look and either immediately throws the ball away, or scrambles around before getting sacked. Opposing defensive coordinators know the book on him. When an opposing team doesn't have to prepare for him, he does well (see ISU). No running game in the world can make up for these deficiencies. He could have the worlds greatest offensive line and it would not turn him into an all Big 12 QB. I'm sorry, but this is reality. If he is the starter against CSU, we're in trouble.

I still don't think you can hold the last season against him. He had no line, no legitimate receivers to throw to, no running game. And he took shot after shot. I'd have a deer in the headlights look if I took half the hits he got.

Go back and look at Cody during his RS-FR season. When he had time he was pretty good. He made some good plays.

I see your point, but QB shouldn't be our last concern. Like all positions, the QB play must improve dramatically for us to be competitive in the B12.

I definately agree that the QB spot needs to improve and I am 100% for TH or Ballanger to step up and make that improvement....but right now I'm not sold that's going to happen, and Little Hawk will most likely be the guy next year.

This concerns me a little, but if we can get the O-line in shape, run the ball effectively, and get a few WR's on the field who can make plays on some iffy passes than I think Cody can lead us to a lot of success...I think those other factors are much more important

No running game in the world can make up for these deficiencies. He could have the worlds greatest offensive line and it would not turn him into an all Big 12 QB. I'm sorry, but this is reality. If he is the starter against CSU, we're in trouble.

Robert Hodge "led" CU to 9 wins in 2002. Considering how completely and utterly incapable old Rob was at throwing a football anywhere within 8 yards of his intended receiver, I have to believe it's more than possible to win 10 games with Cody.

edit: Though I note that wasn't your point. Perhaps a better rebuttal would be "you don't need an all Big 12 quarterback to be successful."

Robert Hodge "led" CU to 9 wins in 2002. Considering how completely and utterly incapable old Rob was at throwing a football anywhere within 8 yards of his intended receiver, I have to believe it's more than possible to win 10 games with Cody.

edit: Though I note that wasn't your point. Perhaps a better rebuttal would be "you don't need an all Big 12 quarterback to be successful."

Robert Hodge replaced Craig Ochs two games into the season, and shouldn't have been the starter at all. He was never meant to be the starter.

If by 'sophomore slump', you mean, failed to progress whatsoever after the Oklahoma game, and, in fact, regressed, then yes, people are ready to put the scrub label on him.

Capable backup, not gonna win a north title!

ok from a fan of CU, but not as my #1 team :smile2: here are my 2 cents worth.... you can melt them down for the copper if you wish....

in 2007, Cody's RS-FR if not mistaken he had a pretty good 2nd half against Nebraska and 'Bama even though he came up short in a comeback win in the Independence Bowl. I also believe he led the Buffs to a victory over TTech and Baylor on the road all after the OU game in Boulder.

So I think he has the smarts &, skills and is very capable of leading the Buffs to the top spot in the Big XII north next fall. A couple of things have to happen, #1 being the o-line. The o-line needs to step it up as far as blocking, protection, making passing lanes and get these guys to block where Cody has a few roll-out plays to to get outside. #2 is you need someone in the backfild that is not just a runner, or a blocker, or a pass catcher. You need 1, 2 would be great, backs that can do all 3 things to keep the defense "honest" so to speak. #3 is the WR and Cody practicing on their own this summer, whereever, to develop more continuity and trust between the lot of them, also this will help Cody increase his arm strength too on routes he might have limits on.

and last but not least..... to bash on Cody is highly unfair. This is a young man that is trying his best, going to practice, making grades, doing the right things in life, not being on a police blotter and to begrudge and belittle him is unfair. I have always held the belief that if you want to "bad mouth" someone at the college level of sports, bash the coaches, they are the ones getting paid....

Back