What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2011 Schedule, Roster & Coaches

Dakota Poole

According to Ringo, Dakota Poole is no longer on the team. So that is one more scholarship available.
Embree initially estimated he would sign between 12 and 15 recruits when asked in mid-December, but the number of available scholarships grew after coaches learned at the semester break that several players would not return to the program next season for various reasons. Those players include wide receivers Kendrick Celestine and Andre Simmons, defensive lineman Dakota Poole and safety Terdema Ussery.

I also heard that on Poole today.

Further, the reason we're signing so many linebackers is that Harrington and Ahles have been moved to Fullback.

Updated to include all signees and to remove Mario Conte from the roster (walk on WR).

I also heard that on Poole today.

Further, the reason we're signing so many linebackers is that Harrington and Ahles have been moved to Fullback.

Understandably we want to focus on the fullback more than we did post-Jake Behrens' graduation (or even before), but Ahles was getting praise at LB the first half of the season. At the outside spot where depth is still largely unknown, I would much rather have him stay where he is than spend his remaining elgibility getting lost in a position change attempt.

seems odd we have so much talk of position changes without having had one live practice.

Understandably we want to focus on the fullback more than we did post-Jake Behrens' graduation (or even before), but Ahles was getting praise at LB the first half of the season. At the outside spot where depth is still largely unknown, I would much rather have him stay where he is than spend his remaining elgibility getting lost in a position change attempt.

He was Ok at OLB, not great. But i must commend Ahles for agreeing to switch to FB, he shows that he is a selfless player. It is easier to transition from LB to FB. Because linebackers are used to the physical nature, contact aspect of the game. Spring ball will help make a quick transition, i am confident that he can make that transition successfully. I suspect the staff will move John Major to the OLB spot occupied by Beatty, and then play Rippy at ILB. And then have competition between Woodsen Greer, Liloa Nobriga, and Webb for the other linebacker spot. Tuumalo, Harlos and Clark will most likely be redshirted. Daigh may play early on special teams and as a backup.

Last edited:
Actually a brilliant move, I think. Richter has all the tools, size, and attitude to make a good DT. Will be interesting to see if he can read plays and make tackles at a high level.

Richter could be a force at DT if has has improved his lower body strength. Of course, with a new S&C coach, I expect this to happen.

Updated to remove Max Tuioti-Mariner and Will Jefferson leaving the program for medical reasons (knees) along with Forrest West, Harold Mobley and Henley Griffon (not invited back).

I still need to update the walk ons in order to get this up to date.

Do you think we take them all? I know we need players, but at some point we'll want to even out the classes so we're not taking 35% of our total scholarships in one year.

I'd expect around 25 freshmen, including early enrollees. Got to figure we'll see some JUCOs and transfers, too.

Senior DE Tony Poremba, the former Cherry Creek standout, has reportedly been awarded a scholarship for his senior year after impressing the coaches during winter conditioning and spring ball.

Story was first reported by Adam on Rivals.

Congrats to Tony! Well deserved.

Do you think we take them all? I know we need players, but at some point we'll want to even out the classes so we're not taking 35% of our total scholarships in one year.

Yeah, definitely have to be careful of balancing classes. May depend on what we see on the field this fall. Would not surprise me to see the staff target some JUCOs at TE and in the secondary. So that would help offset so many scholarships in one class.

Yeah, definitely have to be careful of balancing classes. May depend on what we see on the field this fall. Would not surprise me to see the staff target some JUCOs at TE and in the secondary. So that would help offset so many scholarships in one class.

+1. This class will be large but I am sure they are going to try and balance the numbers out with transfers and jucos. I agree with Nik also in that we really have to 20 to 25 freshman per class

not to worried about imbalance in this class. we already have some early enrollees committed. and as others have noted, JUCOs etc. Staff knows what they are doing.

I'm a new Buff fan - just got into grad school here and am pumped to root for the team. I'm playing catch up here, so I was digging through the rivals commitment lists from the past 5 years. What I found was interesting in that pretty much every player on the roster is a 5.7 or lower recruit. The only guys above that are Ryan Miller (6.1), Ryan Deehan (5.8), Ray Polk (5.8), Bryce Givens (5.9), Jon Major (5.9), Jack Harris (5.8),Nick Kasa (6.0), and Paul Richardson (5.8). Eight guys over five classes, and only 5 are starters at the position they were recruited. More interesting was the number of guys who left the program. Here's the list I had. Let me know if I missed anyone.

Donnie Duncan -5.6—athlete-CA–did not qualify academically
Justin Favors -5.4-TE-OH- did not qualify academically
Henley Griffon -5.4-TE-FL-kicked off team 4/11
Trea Jones- 5.5-RB-NC-left team after freshman season
Harold Mobley -5.7-athlete/TE-CA-kicked off team 4/11
Dakota Poole –NR-DE-BC- Medically unable to compete
Justin Torres -5.2-Athlete-CA-left team 10/10 due to homesickness
Clark Evans-5.6-QB/TE-ruled ineligible and transferred
Will Jefferson-NR-WR-CA-medically unable to compete
Edward Nuckols-5.8-DT-CA-attending Seton Hall (PA)
Andre Simmons-5.8-WR-KS-did not qualify for 2010 and left team
Shaun Simon-5.4-OL-OK-attending JUCO
Terdema Ussery-5.6-WR-TX-left team in 2010 on personal leave and did not return
J Forrest West-5.3-DE-CT-kicked of team 4/11
Chance Blackmon-5.6-WR-TX-left program after 2008 season
Jameson Davis-4.9-K-ID-medically unable to compete
Steven Hicks-5.6-DB-TX-left program before 2010 season
Lynn Katoa-6.0-LB-UT-suspended due to academics and discipline, left program after 08 season
Darnell Scott-6.1-HB-CA-left program and transferred to South Florida
Max Tuioti-Mariner-5.9-OL-CA-medically unable to compete
Ryan Wallace-5.5-TE-KY-left program in May 09 due to homesickness
Matt Ballenger-5.6-QB-ID-released to pursue other schools 04/09
Kendrick Celestine-5.5-WR-LA-left due to homesickness 09/08
PT Gates-6.0-HB-CA-did not qualify academically and ended up at Grand Valley St
Eugene Goree-5.0-DT-TN-left team 03/11
Devan Johnson-5.3-HB-PA-grayshirt who never enrolled
Kealaki Maiava-5.2-OL-HI-tranferred from program prior to 08
Chris Perri-5.4-DT-CA-dismissed from team 2008
Lagrone Shields-5.5-DE-TN-left team in 2009
Markques Simas-5.8-WR-CA- Academically ineligible for 08 season, suspended and left team
Josh Smith-5.5-Ath-CA- played as a freshman and in 2009 transferred back home to UCLA
Lamont Smith-5.4-DB-PA-academic issues, left team in 2007
Nate Vaiomounga-5.5-LB-CA-academically ineligible for 08 season, then booted for rules violation
Anthony Wright-5.7-DB-CA-medically unable to compete

On that list are six guys above a 5.7:Gates (6.0), Simas (5.8), Katoa (6.0), Scott (6.1), Tuioti-Mariner (5.9), and Nuckols (5.8). I know all programs get hit with attrition, and recruit rankings have a very high failure rate, but when you don't recruit many talented guys and loose almost half of them it's still gotta hurt.

I'm just happy to welcome a new era with Embree. Hope he has more success bringing in and retaining talent....and most importantly winning football games.

I'm a new Buff fan - just got into grad school here and am pumped to root for the team. I'm playing catch up here, so I was digging through the rivals commitment lists from the past 5 years. What I found was interesting in that pretty much every player on the roster is a 5.7 or lower recruit. The only guys above that are Ryan Miller (6.1), Ryan Deehan (5.8), Ray Polk (5.8), Bryce Givens (5.9), Jon Major (5.9), Jack Harris (5.8),Nick Kasa (6.0), and Paul Richardson (5.8). Eight guys over five classes, and only 5 are starters at the position they were recruited. More interesting was the number of guys who left the program. Here's the list I had. Let me know if I missed anyone.

Donnie Duncan -5.6—athlete-CA–did not qualify academically
Justin Favors -5.4-TE-OH- did not qualify academically
Henley Griffon -5.4-TE-FL-kicked off team 4/11
Trea Jones- 5.5-RB-NC-left team after freshman season
Harold Mobley -5.7-athlete/TE-CA-kicked off team 4/11
Dakota Poole –NR-DE-BC- Medically unable to compete
Justin Torres -5.2-Athlete-CA-left team 10/10 due to homesickness
Clark Evans-5.6-QB/TE-ruled ineligible and transferred
Will Jefferson-NR-WR-CA-medically unable to compete
Edward Nuckols-5.8-DT-CA-attending Seton Hall (PA)
Andre Simmons-5.8-WR-KS-did not qualify for 2010 and left team
Shaun Simon-5.4-OL-OK-attending JUCO
Terdema Ussery-5.6-WR-TX-left team in 2010 on personal leave and did not return
J Forrest West-5.3-DE-CT-kicked of team 4/11
Chance Blackmon-5.6-WR-TX-left program after 2008 season
Jameson Davis-4.9-K-ID-medically unable to compete
Steven Hicks-5.6-DB-TX-left program before 2010 season
Lynn Katoa-6.0-LB-UT-suspended due to academics and discipline, left program after 08 season
Darnell Scott-6.1-HB-CA-left program and transferred to South Florida
Max Tuioti-Mariner-5.9-OL-CA-medically unable to compete
Ryan Wallace-5.5-TE-KY-left program in May 09 due to homesickness
Matt Ballenger-5.6-QB-ID-released to pursue other schools 04/09
Kendrick Celestine-5.5-WR-LA-left due to homesickness 09/08
PT Gates-6.0-HB-CA-did not qualify academically and ended up at Grand Valley St
Eugene Goree-5.0-DT-TN-left team 03/11
Devan Johnson-5.3-HB-PA-grayshirt who never enrolled
Kealaki Maiava-5.2-OL-HI-tranferred from program prior to 08
Chris Perri-5.4-DT-CA-dismissed from team 2008
Lagrone Shields-5.5-DE-TN-left team in 2009
Markques Simas-5.8-WR-CA- Academically ineligible for 08 season, suspended and left team
Josh Smith-5.5-Ath-CA- played as a freshman and in 2009 transferred back home to UCLA
Lamont Smith-5.4-DB-PA-academic issues, left team in 2007
Nate Vaiomounga-5.5-LB-CA-academically ineligible for 08 season, then booted for rules violation
Anthony Wright-5.7-DB-CA-medically unable to compete

On that list are six guys above a 5.7:Gates (6.0), Simas (5.8), Katoa (6.0), Scott (6.1), Tuioti-Mariner (5.9), and Nuckols (5.8). I know all programs get hit with attrition, and recruit rankings have a very high failure rate, but when you don't recruit many talented guys and loose almost half of them it's still gotta hurt.

I'm just happy to welcome a new era with Embree. Hope he has more success bringing in and retaining talent....and most importantly winning football games.

+1 good first post

Taken as a total easy to see why the past five years have been a failure.

Welcome, Mizzle.

Way to come with the hardcore info on your first post. I'm gonna rep that. Nicely done.

I don't think you missed anyone who left. Frankly, there wasn't a whole hell of a lot on that list that we would have been able to win with anyway. Embree's probably better off without almost all of them (lack of talent or character issues). A couple you missed are with guys who transferred in. Toney Clemons was a 5.9rr and Logan Gray was a 5.8rr. Oops. Givens is not with the program due to disciplinary issues and it's not sure whether he'll return after the fall suspension.

Back