What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2012-13 Colorado Basketball Game thread: Cal @ Colorado

mattrob - Great points on situational basketball. And it's pretty much the difference between playing freshmen and sophomores instead of juniors and seniors.
Yeah, it's definitely a sign of youth, but man it can be frustrating! At least we don't have to look back at this one wondering “what if".

Just got back from the game. It was good to see us hit our FT's down the stretch to hold on despite the fact Cal couldn't miss late. It was also the first time I'd walked through the practice facility. Very nice! A few thoughts:

- Scott struggled with Thurman's bulk today. He needs to use his athleticism in those situations, but instead got pushed around the post and it made for some really tough entry passes.

-XJ has arrived. He was decisive, explosive, aggressive on the glass, used both hands, finished strong and even hit his FT's. There have to be more than a few staffs wondering why they backed off that kind of talent.

- We still do an awful job of recognizing situations and taking advantage of them. There were two examples that stood out to me:
1. Kravish gets two fouls early and Monty takes his time subbing, meaning Kravish has to play a few minutes with two. scott should've gone straight to the block and either tried to get #3 or he would've been given an easy look. Instead, he gets the ball 20feet from the hoop, promptly makes an ill-advised pass that gets intercepted and doesn't touch the ball again.

2. When Crabbe got frustrated in the second half and took a run at The Mayor (which I think was a flagrant), it was easy to see the kid was on tilt and ready to do something stupid. Instead of going right back at him, we seemed to intentionally shy away and he instead channeled that anger into energy on the offensive end and got hot.

Those were two missed opportunities, and are the kind of situations where we need to show the killer instinct and take advantage.

Most frustrating play of the game, by far (which says something considering we had 20 turnovers). Scott is a freshman, but it's late January. He's got to recognize situations like that -- and this team needs to improve communicating so if someone doesn't realize, they're promptly made aware of it. There isn't enough vocal leadership from guys who need to lead us.

I think Crabbe is gone. I'd expect Cobbs to be back.

Roughly 14 scouts and (at least) two player agent groups at the game today. Scouting Dre and Crabbe. Comments from one of them weren't overly positive, but he thinks Crabbe probably will come out.

One cool thing from today:

We are ranked #2 in basketball attendance in the pac12.

Arizona is easily #1 with over 12 or 13k per game and we came in 2nd with over 10k.

I believe UCLA was 3rd

Arizona is easily #1 with over 12 or 13k per game and we came in 2nd with over 10k.

I believe UCLA was 3rd
Is there a stat that compares the attendance to the capacity of the stadium with a percentage?

I'm pretty stoked to see how dominating XJ can be once he starts getting calls. He should have had at least three and-1 opportunities today.

I believe UCLA was 3rd

UCLA attendance is pretty bad. Actually extremely bad considering the pedigree of their program. They're enjoying a bit of a boost this year because of people wanting to check out the renovated Pauley.

Roughly 14 scouts and (at least) two player agent groups at the game today. Scouting Dre and Crabbe. Comments from one of them weren't overly positive, but he thinks Crabbe probably will come out.

After watching yesterday, I don't buy Crabbe as a next level scorer. Real good shooter, but he has to work incredibly hard to get his looks. He doesn't create easy looks like Burks did.

398134_10152480933195171_1998543785_n.jpg

After watching yesterday, I don't buy Crabbe as a next level scorer. Real good shooter, but he has to work incredibly hard to get his looks. He doesn't create easy looks like Burks did.

Source was an NBA Director of Player Personnel. To clarify, he didn't think either SHOULD come out but thinks that is where Crabbe is leaning based on who he saw at the game (agents represented, other scouts).

I can see Crabbe coming out . He is a great shooter (leads the conference in scoring), and he might not be a 1st rounder, but he can definitely help out a lot of teams with his shooting.

Cal kinda reminds me of us a few years ago when we had Higgins and Burks. I am surprised they can't get more wins when they have two legit NBA prospects on their team.

That's true. They seem to rely on two guys for their offensive production as we did with Burks and Higgins on the 2009 and 2010 teams. We had a great 3rd scorer those years with Relphorde, and 4th one with Knutson in 2010, which made our team deadly offensively because you couldn't key in on one guy.

I don't see that in Cal, so that probably kills them when Cobbs and/or Crabbe goes into a cold shooting funk (1st half against us).

Cal kinda reminds me of us a few years ago when we had Higgins and Burks. I am surprised they can't get more wins when they have two legit NBA prospects on their team.

They definitely shouldn't be struggling as much as they do. The media picking them 3rd in the Pac-12 was ridiculous and everyone knew it, but for Cal to be only 11-8 is surprising. Cal is heading into February with zero remotely good wins. Their best wins are Georgia Tech (who is tied for last in the ACC) and Wazzu... They lose to every team they face that has half a pulse. Yesterday it was clearly evident that there is infighting on that team. Players screaming in Montgomery's face, other times players completely ignoring Monty. They have issues.

oh I almost forgot.

So I left about 30 seconds early to get to the club room and I see this guy taking a picture underneath the Carlon Brown "Where champions roam" or whatever it says wall mural in the practice facility. It was some grizzly looking dude in a full beard. I don't think much of it until Carlon comes out looking like some grizzly dude with a full beard. I don't think he had been back since he started in the NBA, but he got a kick out of his mural.

Maybe the pic ends up on facebook or twitter or something.

Back